• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Unable to defend myself on negative feedback thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A kindly fellow member here retrieved the original post which proves the point that Not2Sharp is without excuse. The terms and conditions were made clear from the very start. Not2Sharp didn't bother to read them and welched because he did not want to use any of the payment methods I made clear were the only ones I accepted, and why.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/not2sharp-totally-welched.1752032/#post-20040912

So the buyer entered the deal, not realizing that it was a non PayPal transaction. People do make mistakes when not completely reading the post, and it’s too bad that these guys couldn’t politely reach an understanding without the threats and negative feedbacks.

So the buyer entered the deal, not realizing that it was a non PayPal transaction....

Wrong.

The buyer chose not to read the sales listing making explicitly clear what my payment terms and conditions were and are, and why. He made an offer, I accepted and asked him to post a firm "I'll take it" in the sale listing, and he did. The fact that he did post it in the sales listing is proof he was aware of the sale listing, and it's on him. So he can not claim "I didn't know."

I offered him three easy ways to pay.

He ignored me then welched. When he did I asked him again to follow through and pay me with either of the three payment methods I accepted. He refused and I posted negative feedback about his welching.

I since learned that welching is permitted on this forum, so I asked the mods to take my feedback down, but the facts are reported in the GBU forum for all to read.

The buyer acted in bad faith, then proceeded to accuse me of being a con man. This is 100% on him.

I'm also sure that if this forum had a very clear "no welching" policy after a firm "I'll take it" has been posted it would prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the first place.

I'm on gun forums much larger than this one and they strictly enforce a no-welching policy after a firm "I'll take it" is posted.

Last edited:
This is just a no win situation.
IMO, it's largely just a stupid situation. You should always, always, always read all of a sales thread before you contact the seller and if you failed to do so, you apologize to the seller for your lapse and move on or try to find a payment method that you're both comfortable with.

On the other hand, if you're asking for payment methods outside of the ones that are regularly used here you should damn well expect these things to happen on occasion and have an ounce of graciousness and self control. You also shouldn't try to abuse the feedback system in a manner which is explicitly against the rules of the site.

I extended him the gracious opportunity to make good on his firm "I'll take it" ... after spending thirty minutes back/forth with him when he first approached me with a firm offer that I accepted.

The terms and conditions were clearly visible to him. The buyer does not get to dictate to a seller what his terms and conditions for payment are, which this guy tried to do. PayPal is not the only game in town and I always make very clear why I do not use PayPal.

I was not aware that we can not post negative feedback because of welching and when I was made aware of this, I asked for my feedback to be removed. So your charge of "abusing the feedback" system is false.

How about you just mind your own business and stop trolling?

Insipid Moniker Insipid Moniker I agree they should have just let it be and let it go.

Mistakes happen nothing to get that worked up over, I just bought a knife from Gary and he obviously always puts "I don't have paypal" in his listings.

A lot of desirable pieces move fast on here so I'm sure people don't quite fully read the information except condition and price.

Your point is well taken, but this is not one of those situations as proven by the facts of what the buyer did. He is without excuse and the old, "Oh, I didn't know" is not working, since he very clearly did know, did post a firm I'll take it, did read the listing, and did know I did not accept PayPal and when I offered him three very easily used payment options, he welched. He knows this forum permits bad-faith behavior like this. I did not.

Lesson learned.

But again, I'm not the kind of person simply to sit back and put up with libelous accusations from people who have acted in bad faith.

I extended him the gracious opportunity to make good on his firm "I'll take it" ... after spending thirty minutes back/forth with him when he first approached me with a firm offer that I accepted.

The terms and conditions were clearly visible to him. The buyer does not get to dictate to a seller what his terms and conditions for payment are, which this guy tried to do. PayPal is not the only game in town and I always make very clear why I do not use PayPal.

I was not aware that we can not post negative feedback because of welching and when I was made aware of this, I asked for my feedback to be removed. So your charge of "abusing the feedback" system is false.

How about you just mind your own business and stop trolling?
My charge is precisely accurate, it's no one's fault but your own that you couldn't be bothered to read the rules of the site that you're attempting to do business on. You asked that it be removed once you were caught and informed that there were penalties to doing so, so sorry if I don't buy your sudden 'moral' turn. To be perfectly frank, it seems like you and the buyer deserve each other.

LOL..you can't help yourself. Your attempt to be "fair" in your commenting on this just fell to pieces. But I know, it's just what personality types like you do when they invest themselves in an Internet forum like you have.

I guess this is why you have managed to post 15,854 comments on this knife forum over the past nine years.

For you this is a great source of personal satisfaction, apparently. And congrats for being another to make it to my ignore list. That's one thing threads like this are good for. Weeding out the wheat from the chaff.

Party on.

LOL..you can't help yourself. Your attempt to be "fair" in your commenting on this just fell to pieces. But I know, it's just what personality types like you do when they invest themselves in an Internet forum like you have.

I guess this is why you have managed to post 15,854 comments on this knife forum over the past nine years.

For you this is a great source of personal satisfaction, apparently. And congrats for being another to make it to my ignore list. That's one thing threads like this are good for. Weeding out the wheat from the chaff.

Party on.
I very much agree with your final statement, though your mixed metaphor makes me wince, but it definitely seems as though you have an exceedingly poor grasp of who this thread is going to weed out.

I'm also sure that if this forum had a very clear "no welching" policy after a firm "I'll take it" has been posted it would prevent this kind of stuff from happening in the first place.
It does.

Buyers/Buying -
  1. Malicious Buyers will be permanently banned from the forums. Repeatedly flaking on deals and buying items only to turn around and complain is also not a good idea. Don't waste our time.
  2. If you must back out of a deal, it is YOUR responsibility to communicate with the other person WHY you are unable to complete the transaction. Make sure this happens BEFORE any money or items have been exchanged. Problems should be attempted to be resolved between the persons involved, before Feedback threads are started.

It also has a very clear policy regarding feedback.

SECTION 4 - Rules for Feedback -
  1. If a deal did not happen, there is no iTrader Feedback to leave. Sorry if you were inconvenienced, but life is full of disappointments. As long as you're not out any items or money hasn't changed hands, move along. Consider improving the terms of your sales threads / read the sellers terms carefully in order to avoid this before buying.
  2. Retaliatory feedback left by buyers or sellers on deals that didn't take place can now earn you a 30 point non expiring infraction. You earn them, you get to keep them, you have been warned.

I'm going to consider this a misunderstanding and remove the feedback from both members and also assume this matter is closed. If it becomes necessary to revisit this situation, neither member will be happy with the outcome.

Very well I read what you have posted and will comply. Yes, apparently I did misunderstood what "a deal happens" means on this forum, in contast to most any other forum that has an exchange area, etc.

I understand you will removing both my negative feedback for the buyer, and his negative feedback posted for me as the seller.

Fair enough.

Last edited:
I think both parties needed to read a bit more ... but letting this get to you or upset either to this point was really not necessary. Just let it go and move on.

Wow. This is another one of those threads that should not have happened. Both parties are damaging their rep here....the seller probably more so than he realizes. All this over a $100 knife. Buyer, you should have read the terms and not sure why you just didn't send him a check once the issue was noted and the seller was digging their heels in? You should have recognized your error and sucked it up. Seller, you may have started out right in this situation but you've slid into a silly had to be right, prove a point, revenge filled bunch of nonsense. Was it worth it? If he said he missed the part of no paypal, why not just say "that's ok" and sell it to someone else? This is not gunbroker or ebay where you may have an issue with fees.
Both of you deserve each other. Now you both inappropriately left feedback.

Your point is well taken, but this is not one of those situations as proven by the facts of what the buyer did. He is without excuse and the old, "Oh, I didn't know" is not working, since he very clearly did know, did post a firm I'll take it, did read the listing, and did know I did not accept PayPal and when I offered him three very easily used payment options, he welched. He knows this forum permits bad-faith behavior like this. I did not.

Lesson learned.

But again, I'm not the kind of person simply to sit back and put up with libelous accusations from people who have acted in bad faith.

Just trying to get this right-Did you mention the payment options to him prior to the I'll take it, anywhere other than it being listed in the thread. Just because it was in the thread does not mean he actually read that part. He should have, but it happens often.
In the end though I never want to force someone to complete a sale. If they really don't want to do it, or are uncomfortable with the transaction. I just move on. I may not be thrilled, but it is just knives-not worth anyone loosing sleep over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back