Ungentlemanlike - Traditional Bad Boy Knives

"Currently, our research allows us to classify most pieces because there is a style and a set of manufacturing techniques found only in French items, even if blades were ultimately acid-etched with Spanish mottos such as 'Viva España."
???
Most had a "real" brand name. Either the same as in France or a translation. A lot are displayed in the Museum de Cuchilleria of Albacete, whose travelling shows are excellent.

Beauvoir.jpgpar défaut 3.jpgBesset.jpg

par défaut 6.jpg

Last edited:
Most had a "real" brand name. Either the same as in France or a translation.
No one has said the opposite mate.

Alright, back to the theme of the thread, while also continuing with the subject of old European blades, here's another ungentlemanlike knife from history, an Austro-Hungarian M1917 Sturmmesser:

EzEDBZm.jpg

Last edited:
"Currently, our research allows us to classify most pieces because there is a style and a set of manufacturing techniques found only in French items, even if blades were ultimately acid-etched with Spanish mottos such as 'Viva España."
???
Most had a "real" brand name. Either the same as in France or a translation. A lot are displayed in the Museum de Cuchilleria of Albacete, whose travelling shows are excellent.

View attachment 1840203View attachment 1840209View attachment 1840213

View attachment 1840205
Alain,

Your expertise is always very refreshing!

I found a knife in my collection which is nearly the same pattern of one you have shown.... The Montanesa (Mountain) ---- EDITED- I was incorrect, this is part of what the manufacturer calls the Sevillana Series, which makes more sense!----- Interestingly, the blade is ground extremely thin. I'm not so sure it would be a good mountain knife, but more similar to a razor! This one was made in España

PXL_20220302_005847643.jpg

Last edited:
Just to add to this thread.... I have read that at one time, Spanish men even trained in the art of knife fighting with their navaja's, so large was the handle, that it was held in the hand at the very end, past where it breaks into the angle.

Many traditional Spanish pocket knives still have a very aggressively shaped blade.

Here is a Jerezana
PXL_20220302_005810016.jpg

Something else with a pointy tip!

PXL_20220302_011234159.jpg

How you took that quote to mean "French-made navajas never had an actual brand stamped onto them" is frankly beyond me. Anyways, time to move on...
I simply took the words for what they say : "some" blades were etched "Viva Espanã", which is just a fake imho*. Render unto Ceasar...

* At least that's what I'll keep on believing until I see one...

I simply took the words for what they say : "some" blades were etched "Viva Espanã", which is just a fake imho*. Render unto Ceasar...

* At least that's what I'll keep on believing until I see one...
1) No, it's not fake, and may I say that's a pretty serious accusation to throw around before even Googling the matter. Below is a picture of a historical French-made example, etched, precisely, with the phrase Viva España. I've also heard of similar pieces (made in France) with other similar Spanish phrases such as Viva la República and Dios y Patria.

yGnPISi.jpg

2) Even if the quote had been wrong (which it wasn't, as I just showed you), it still nowhere says or implies that the blades in question couldn't have the brand stamped onto them.

Edit: Adding pictures of a few more historical examples below (all of which can, incidentally, be regarded as "ungentlemanlike knives"). Note that all the pages from which these pictures are taken describe the respective items as French-made, except for those of the third and fourth pieces (which feature the phrases Viva la República and Dios y Patria on the blade and handle, respectively, and which are also most likely of French manufacture given their construction style). In the case of the very last piece, we can even see very clearly the stamp of the French maker Beauvoir next to the etching that reads Toledo. The question of whether these blades were etched in France or Spain remains open.

tmLAvF5.jpg
2fyMrdl.jpg

6VQDYYX.jpg
rDviegB.jpg

ZkeevBt.jpg
drgBRcq.jpg

PKLfUgf.jpg
hYOhHyi.jpg

szIpOdH.jpg
Ard04oZ.jpg

Last edited:
Jolipapa Jolipapa and T Trubetzkoy :
You have both shown beautiful examples of knives which fit the spirit of this thread. Maybe you could start another thread to continue your debate in, however.
My apologies! I've said my piece, and I don't see why the controversy should continue at this point in light of the data furnished by the two parties (both of which, I believe, have provided valuable information for enthusiasts of Spanish and French knives).

I wasn't thinking chiffonade when I bought it. (United Cutlery repro of a Samuel Wragg.) I still wonder if the original guard was like this
That's a nice-looking knife. Is it made in Japan? As for the guard, if you're referring to its being attached in the form of scales, I believe that was a common feature of some Sheffield models. Here are a couple examples from the Antique Bowie Knife Channel on YouTube:

Last edited:
Back