Unreal 110 prices on eBay!!!

I've mentioned this before, but I'll make a new thread about it...

Can anyone tell me why eBay buyers are paying so much for average or below average condition Buck 110's???

We're not talking collectibles...or Nickel Silver bolsters...or exotic blade steels...just everyday, late model brass round-bolstered 110's in fair or poor condition...

Ground-down blades; chipped blades; scratched blades; dented/dinged/stamped-initials/tarnished bolsters; gouged, split, "branded" scales...

These are all going for more than a *new* Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Academy 110...even when not on sale...

What is wrong with these people?!?!?!

I'm not a collector...I'm not a knifesmith...I'm just a hacker...I like to take things apart, and put them back together differently...(sometimes even on purpose!)...

I'm just looking for a few poor condition 110's (sometimes 112's, 426's, or 422's)...some for blades; some for bolsters; all for rockerbars/spacers/springs...

What are all these other people doing with them??? They can't all be hackers...Not with usernames like "emilygage"...so why are they scarfing them up for big bucks???

I really want to know...

I hate going down to Wal-Mart and buying a brand-new knife just to tear down for a rockerbar and spacer...but that's cheaper than buying a junk 110 on eBay!!!

What is going on???

I've noticed that as well. An old beater can fetch upwards of $20. I would figure they're not worth much more than $10. :rolleyes: I don't mind paying for a like new older 110, but they don't come up all that often.

Put down a small bid on veryone you see and perhaps one will fall through the cracks and you'll get it. :thumbup:

Trax and Mike...I see a number of people buyin' up all of one kind or another of the knives that Buck makes...110's ...112's...501's...500's...etc. Then all of a sudden you see the knife up for bids at inflated prices...If they get 'em all they can name their own prices if someone wants one of that type...:confused: :( ...grrrrrr

You guys missed this one for $35 BIN, 1997 110 Buckcote N/S bolsters , mint, never even in the sheath. The only deal I've gotten lately:cool:

000_0205.jpg

Scott Hartman said:
You guys missed this one...

But here's the thing, Scott - that's a decent knife...Myself, I don't want to pull apart a perfectly good knife...I'm just looking for junkers...and I'll pick & choose which parts to use, to put together one decent one...decent but different, ya know???

I really hate to buy a brand new sardine tin 110 just to get a rockerbar, spring, & spacer...I already have too many new bolsters w/scales in my parts box...but it's cheaper than eBay... :(

I know what you mean have you seen what 560's are going for. I'll admit I have been spending more than I should for 560's but I can't help it i'm hopeless.....Bigfish

Fleamarkets, gun shows, yard sales and some knife shows offer the only reasonable prices on the Bucks. These guys on ebay are killin me paying $20 or more plus shipping, they have to be the same who would pay $50 at a hardware store for a new 110.

Not only that but have you seen some of the shipping fees those guys are getting. Some of them have gone as high as $24.95 for shipping. I've asked them about whether it was a typo or something and have been told to mind my own business...Gonna have to be flea markets or pawn shops for me for a while...:(

So, why ain't we sellin' our junkers to these fanatics? Mainly because I don't have any "junkers" and couldn't replace anything I sold for a decent price any way. Some folks are just nuts and that screws things up for those of us who aren't "nuts". Or are we?:jerkit: :jerkit:

DarrylS said:
Not only that but have you seen some of the shipping fees those guys are getting...(

I've noticed that...You can Priority Mail a knife in an 8x6x2 box for $3.85...Why are they charging $6.00, $7.99, even $8 or more???... :confused:

And something else...About two weeks ago, I bookmarked a 110 that was listed for $9.99 starting price......I watched it for three days, no bids; and then suddenly, it went up to $14.99 starting price...still no bids...They were asking $6 for postage, with the minimum bid, it was close enough to WallyWorld that I said "No way!"...

Since when can you change the starting bid in mid-auction??? And why change it *up*???... :eek: :confused: :jerkit:

...Well Trax...I gonna be lookin' a bit more at the Exchange here in the forum as well as in the BCCI trader area. I think Ebay is starting to work on my nerves...LOL...shaky, shaky, shaky...:eek:

bigfish44 said:
I know what you mean have you seen what 560's are going for. I'll admit I have been spending more than I should for 560's but I can't help it i'm hopeless.....Bigfish

I'm really disappointed to see 560s go for more than $55-60, It wasn't that long ago that they went for less. Shoot, I bought one at a knife shop about 2 years ago for $35! They aren't made of gold!

KeithAM said:
I'm really disappointed to see 560s go for more than $55-60, It wasn't that long ago that they went for less. Shoot, I bought one at a knife shop about 2 years ago for $35! They aren't made of gold!
Keith,
I just saw one on ebay with a STARTING price of $69.95. Is that crazy or what? I also see the $23.95 110's in a tin box from Wallyworld being advertised as limited edition collector sets for $34.95 plus shipping. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I check ebay every week or so for various Buck models. I rarely see a 110 that's worth buying (I'm always on the look out for 2 dot, no dot, three dots) and rarely see anything with a full blade for a reasonable price.

I did manage to snag an early 90s 501 for a little less than $20 a few days ago.

It does intrigue me to see so many new in box items selling for so much. In fact it almost irritates me. I don't go to ebay for new knives... I'm looking for old ones to fix up.

I've seen what you are talking about and I can't explain it except to say that there is one born every minute. A local store here was selling the 110 for $29.95 with a $10.00 mail in rebate. Brand new, or as they say on e-bay MIB, and no waiting, and no shipping.

Psychopomp said:
I don't go to ebay for new knives... I'm looking for old ones to fix up.

Psychopomp - Should you have an old (or recent) 110/426 not worth fixing (or maybe spare parts not being used) that you would like to sell, I'd appreciate it if you would keep me in mind... ;)

Mike Kerins said:
Put down a small bid on veryone you see and perhaps one will fall through the cracks and you'll get it. :thumbup:

Mike - The "shotgun" strategy??? Shoot at a bunch and see if you hit one??? :D

OK; I decided to try that. My max bid is set at what a Wal-Mart 110 costs right now; either sardine-can 110 [$23.44] or yellow box [$29.99] as max. Low max for "poor" 110; higher max for "good" 110. I bid on 6 110's; I've been outbid on 5 of them and 2 aren't even over yet!!! :eek: :grumpy:

I don't usually bid my max ahead of time; I try to avoid the "blood in the water" frenzy of the last few minutes by submitting my bid in the last 30 seconds...seems the more time you give these people to mull over your bid, the more they decide "hey, it's only a dollar or two more...I can live with that!"... :(

chickentrax said:
Mike - The "shotgun" strategy??? Shoot at a bunch and see if you hit one??? :D

OK; I decided to try that. My max bid is set at what a Wal-Mart 110 costs right now; either sardine-can 110 [$23.44] or yellow box [$29.99] as max. Low max for "poor" 110; higher max for "good" 110. I bid on 6 110's; I've been outbid on 5 of them and 2 aren't even over yet!!! :eek: :grumpy:

I don't usually bid my max ahead of time; I try to avoid the "blood in the water" frenzy of the last few minutes by submitting my bid in the last 30 seconds...seems the more time you give these people to mull over your bid, the more they decide "hey, it's only a dollar or two more...I can live with that!"... :(
You're right. I often end up "watching" an item and then placing a bid within the last 30 seconds as you mentioned. Every now and then when I see some idiot pushing a price up, I'll deliberately egg them into going higher just to get a bit of satisfaction. :D :D

I've been watching that activity as well, for a diferent reason. I always wondered if anyone buys the broken 110/112 or whatever to send in for warranty work. After they get it back from Buck, its like brand new.
The only problem is after they buy it on Ebay, and then pay to send it in to Buck, they would have been better off buying one at a local dealer. For less $$ you would get a brand new knife with the sheath. So that theory does not pan out either.
And what about the 560 selling for over $70???!!! Good grief, they were selling for $25 all day long just over a year ago. I don't get it but I wish I had a bunch of them! :rolleyes:

Back