• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad "Unregistered" Rockstead knives: Your warranty is VOID.

Whew! That must involve a whole new blade polish or something(?). That’s a lotta scratch for sharpening service.

Reminds me of $100 watch battery replacements...or Porsche oil changes I’ve heard about.

000Robert: You sound like a troll. I think you are hiding something :)
=============================================

Update: Rockstead emailed me back again already about sharpening, though I had to send one last question..

So far, their sharpening service is as quoted:

"Resharpening cost is $50~$120 + shipping fee $30. (folding knife)

It depends on damage of the blade edge. "

And shipping both directions...

So roughly ~$60 for shipping then the $50-$120 sharpening depending on damage. So $110-$180 depending on actual shipping and damage to blade.

My last question to them is if I purchase from an authorized dealer, is shipping still owner responsibility both ways or just one?

Stay tuned!

I've never owned one. I can't afford bling like that. But it sounds fishy to me. And I didn't say anything about the sharpening prices. I sharpen my own knives... Perhaps you are the troll?

That's not even the worst warranty I've read about. I forgot who the maker was, but I remember a post here awhile back that the maker wouldn't even work on a knife for a fee if it wasn't the original owner purchased directly from him

That's not even the worst warranty I've read about. I forgot who the maker was, but I remember a post here awhile back that the maker wouldn't even work on a knife for a fee if it wasn't the original owner purchased directly from him

I am relatively new here and am not an expert in knife steels or making knifes, but it seems to me that anyone that does not warranty their knives no matter who owns it, does not have any confidence in the steel and/or heat treat of their blades. Am I wrong to think like that?

I am relatively new here and am not an expert in knife steels or making knifes, but it seems to me that anyone that does not warranty their knives no matter who owns it, does not have any confidence in the steel and/or heat treat of their blades. Am I wrong to think like that?
He/they/it may just not want to bother with standing behind his/their/its products. They often reflect the attitude that you are truly fortunate to have had the honor of being allowed to own his/their/its product.

I imagine each maker that has a similar warranty may have different reasoning. As a buyer it's something to consider when making a pre-owned knife purchase. It would affect what I'm willing to pay on a secondary market if I'm going to be stuck with something that cannot be repaired by the maker. It would also affect my decision to purchase new as that would be an issue when trading or selling

The ultimate question is has anyone been denied warranty service for not being the original owner.For this company or others.

The ultimate question is has anyone been denied warranty service for not being the original owner.For this company or others.
Yes, as I noted in the first post this is based on my personal experience. I was denied warranty repair on defects in handle material that obviously were there from the manufacturer. Rockstead informed me that they had seen the knife for sale online in the secondary market and that it would not be covered under warranty...repair cost would be $250 plus shipping both ways.

Yes, as I noted in the first post this is based on my personal experience. I was denied warranty repair on defects in handle material that obviously were there from the manufacturer. Rockstead informed me that they had seen the knife for sale online in the secondary market and that it would not be covered under warranty...repair cost would be $250 plus shipping both ways.

Wow,I feel you pain.For something like a defect,the problem of ownership should not be an issue. It should simply be repaired without cost.What they're asking a large sum for warranty repair issue.:thumbsdown:

Chip WValtakis WValtakis , might be of some value (little, but some) to send Rockstead a link to this thread. I'll never buy another Rockstead for the reasons discussed here and my own truly BS experience with them "repairing" my knife under warranty - deciding the tanto needed sharpening. I DID NOT REQUEST a sharpening - that was not the reason for me to have sent it back BUT I gave them permission to sharpen - as they offered and why not, as long as they had it and were willing. They trashed the value of the knife by proceeding to destroy the intersection of the bevels & the coating.

I no longer have the photos - after a year I dumped them. Was a painful and expensive experience.

:( :mad:

Chip WValtakis WValtakis , might be of some value (little, but some) to send Rockstead a link to this thread. I'll never buy another Rockstead for the reasons discussed here and my own truly BS experience with them "repairing" my knife under warranty - deciding the tanto needed sharpening. I DID NOT REQUEST a sharpening - that was not the reason for me to have sent it back BUT I gave them permission to sharpen - as they offered and why not, as long as they had it and were willing. They trashed the value of the knife by proceeding to destroy the intersection of the bevels & the coating.

I no longer have the photos - after a year I dumped them. Was a painful and expensive experience.

I would not dump photos. And for something like that I would even create a folder for them.

I have (with no reply), and I'm sure they're reading it...but they obviously don't care:rolleyes:

It is a shame that such a beautiful knife is worth so little yet cost so much with the terrible warranty offered. I now still consider them but only from the secondary market and at a severely reduced price.

And then there is the Busse guarantee:

"Busse Knife Group is proud to have the toughest warranty in the industry.

All Busse Knife Group blades are guaranteed for life against any and all unintentional MAJOR damage. Your knife will either be repaired or replaced at our discretion.

Please note that aftermarket modifications done to your knife outside of our shop that cause your knife to fail may void your warranty.

Busse Knife Group encourages extreme usage of our blades as they are without question "The Toughest Knives in the World". We have no rivals. You can use a Busse Knife Group blade as hard as you like and our warranty has you covered."

I have seen instances on the Busse forum for which there is no doubt in my mind that someone deliberately set out to break a Busse knife. I have seen instances where I would have personally never filed a warranty claim because I would have been ashamed to admit to such stupidity in misusing a knife. In all these cases Busse replaced or repaired the knife.

While I cannot image how stupid - or desperate - I would have to be to damage any of my four Busse knives (all original INFI), what does "for life" mean to Busse?

Yes.

Sometimes people believe they make great knives but they hate dealing with nit picking OCD knife owners.

Yes.

Sometimes people believe they make great knives but they hate dealing with nit picking OCD knife owners.

Im wondering if you can clarify this. Are you saying WValtakis WValtakis is a nit picking OCD knife owner?

While I cannot image how stupid - or desperate - I would have to be to damage any of my four Busse knives (all original INFI), what does "for life" mean to Busse?

I would assume it means for the usable life of the knife. I.e, you break it, they fix it. You eventually sharpen it down to a nub, they don’t.

Im wondering if you can clarify this. Are you saying WValtakis WValtakis is a nit picking OCD knife owner?

Not at all. A forever limitless warranty is a forever limitless liability that some firms/people don't want to deal with or take on. Don't buy Rockstead if you can't afford or stomach their stated policies.

Back