Vertical blade play on sebenza? - Update

So easy to hide behind the "troll theory".
Everyone who doesn't see it my way...must be a troll.
Im glad these people have the stones to speak up, otherwise everyone would think like brownshoe.
You'd think CRK would want to clear this up...not stubbornly drag it out.

If I were chris reeve, I would be concerned with the amount of views this thread has. That could be allot of owners and future buyers. I for one was frequenting
the chris reeve forum before I decided to buy my two seb 21's. They are great knives and the best folders I own, but after hearing some of the issues with
warranties, I would "think twice" before buying another or at least until this gets cleared up by CRK.

this forum actually influenced my small sebenza purchase and influenced my non purchasing a strider pt

this forum actually influenced my small sebenza purchase and influenced my non purchasing a strider pt

You might want to reconsider the Strider now. They've changed their lock bar and tang engagement to a very nice low angle and well mated set-up. Just make sure you can see it or get close up pics of the knife. Lot of old stock around "probably." That gives you time to save some cash while they clear out the old stuff.

[video=youtube;j_5lutfB15M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5lutfB15M[/video]

Oh sweet! Someone took 1 example of a Strider and declared the entire company improved!

My 1st Spyderco had poor QC. Spyderco sucks.
My 2nd Spyderco had great QC. Spyderco rules.
True story.

Oh sweet! Someone took 1 example of a Strider and declared the entire company improved!

True story.

I take it that you didn't get much from that video? They've changed the angles of the lock - that doesn't happen by accident or a one of a kind machine error.

Edit:

I've spoken to the owner of Blue Line Gear and confirmed that the last few batches of SNG's & SMF's have indeed come with a straight (very slight angle) of lock interface. Much better! Another vid for ya. :)

[video=youtube;1Rya1Wp5r-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rya1Wp5r-U[/video]

Last edited:

True story.

I've handled 20+ new Striders...... They are in fact improved. You don't know it, but I live by one of the largest knife selections in the world, I get to put my hands on a LOT of knives.

Also, it seems like you didn't watch the video. At least based on your comment, I hope you didn't. They changed the geometry of their lock, like Cziv said above. It's not a one time fluke, it's something that they have started doing on all of their knives. So, my sample size (although it's fairly large) doesn't really matter.

strider in a CRK forums? Not trying to interfere with you guys because strider is improving but lets try to keep this CRK related. Again not trying to be a pain just trying to keep on topic :)

strider in a CRK forums? Not trying to interfere with you guys because strider is improving but lets try to keep this CRK related. Again not trying to be a pain just trying to keep on topic :)

Okay, you all can go back to complaining about CRK - you know you're on his list right? Just kidding but you're on it!

:p :D

Okay, you all can go back to complaining about CRK - you know you're on his list right? Just kidding but you're on it!

:p :D

I was just trying to get back on topic, i'm not complaining just speaking the truth and yeah apparently I'm on every crk employee's list :D oh well.

Well I guess I will be considered a troll only because I have not been on this forum much. I happen across this thread as I was googling CRK's.
I have two William Henry knives a few lone wolf Paul's, some buck's ..etc:. I wanted a new EDC and kept hearing about Chris's sebenza.

Well I must say I almost pulled the trigger and ordered one tonight. Then this thread popped up in my search. Now I did not read all the pages in this thread,
but what I did read....got me worried about CRK's customer service and knife play. Is it true that Chris has not made a post on this thread? if so, I will start my
google search for another EDC.

Just a note i am on the EZGO golf cart forum and one of the vendors (the owner) in 4 years has over 40000 post helping people with problems.

And this guy won't even make an appearance to defend his brand....SAD

Last edited:
Check out "that guy's" Simple Statement thread where his company is running tests addressing these very issues.

Sad?:barf:

Thanks for the post:rolleyes:

Well I guess I will be considered a troll only because I have not been on this forum much. I happen across this thread as I was googling CRK's.
I have two William Henry knives a few lone wolf Paul's, some buck's ..etc:. I wanted a new EDC and kept hearing about Chris's sebenza.

Well I must say I almost pulled the trigger and ordered one tonight. Then this thread popped up in my search. Now I did not read all the pages in this thread,
but what I did read....got me worried about CRK's customer service and knife play. Is it true that Chris has not made a post on this thread? if so, I will start my
google search for another EDC.

Just a note i am on the EZGO golf cart forum and one of the vendors (the owner) in 4 years has over 40000 post helping people with problems.

And this guy won't even make an appearance to defend his brand....SAD

by all means get a sebenza to try one. They are definitely a step above a lot of knives, the owner of crk is just very confrontational and isn't a people person and the way he runs his business sometimes is just wrong.

Also, don't flick or use your knife and expect him to honor the warranty if it has lock issues down the road. Hell even if you don't flick or abuse the knife he will still call you a lier and not honor it.

Anyways its ultimately your decision but make sure to take everything into consideration before you do.

OK fan boys you can pick apart my post now :rolleyes:

Check out "that guy's" Simple Statement thread where his company is running tests addressing these very issues.

if anything "This guys" posts in the simple statement thread have been counter productive to his claims of flicking is abuse... Still waiting on the videos of how he destroyed the lock face. To my understanding the tests and videos have already been made, guess "this guy" is too busy getting ready for blade to upload a 5 min video on youtube :rolleyes:

They've only posted 2 times in that thread and the test have been anything but 'conclusive'.

I think lithoman's post is the kind Chris needs to pay attention to; he is a potential customer that's turned away and is looking to invest his money elsewhere.

-sh00ter

That was probably a tad too defense of a response and by no means constructive.

Your last sentence rubbed me the wrong way, especially since you admittedly have never dealt with CRK customer service, let alone owned one of his knives, hope you understand;)

People have bad and good experiences in life. I can't speak for any of the bad when it comes to CRK. I've owned four Sebenzas and am eyeing a 5th. None have any hint of blade play, all work as I'd expect them to, and CRK customer service is top notch.

These people work hard at what they do, serve many MANY customers, and every experience I've had with them has been above and beyond. Not kissing but here, just sharing MY experiences.

No company is ever going to make everybody happy 100% of the time. That's not realistic. If your going to base whether you purchase a CRK or not off of a couple negative experiences out of thousands of good ones then that just leaves more for those of us who have formed our own opinions through our own experience.

My first post was easier to type:D

^ that better fellas? Can we still sit together in the cafeteria?

not trying to single you out, but there isn't just a few people with these issues. More and more people are taking their edc'd sebenzas apart and finding more wear on the lock face than what is provided in pictures by Chris.

This shows either that lemons are getting through and/or people experiencing different results with different sebenzas. It could be defect in product but Chris is so high on his pedestal that he thinks its only abuse causing lock face damage.

He did pioneer the RIL but the first of something is never the best. Tweeks such as carbidizing can make all the difference in the longevity of the lock face. I have not heard of any smashed lock faces on any carbidized knife.

many makers are using carbidizing now and to be honest Chris could really improve not only the quality and longevity of the locks on his knives but he could also prevent having problems with warranty work in the future by getting a carbidizer.

Last edited:
Back