Vertical blade play on sebenza? - Update

One of the big dealers we all know.

I just don't understand why people cant believe lemons can get through QC. Chris has been having problems with the screws and fit and finish of those so why is it so hard to believe the lock face could be made wrong (not necessarily on purpose) or lemons could get through.

All in all though Chris told me to tell him a better way to do his lock face and I have. The real thing is if he decides to listen or if his pedestal is to high and hes too stuck in his ways to change...

Honestly if he just carbidized the lock face no one would have problems with the locks, and if they did he could just recarbidize it and it would fix it.

The only argument he would have is how much the machine costs. A one time investment of a couple grand, that would minimalize lock problems and warranty issues and it would save him a lot of customers that he loses because of his arrogant ways.

Idk just my .02 but if you think about it, it makes more sense than carburization.

A carbidizer can be had for as low as $250 but then after laying down a coat of tungsten carbide (I think??) then it has to be fitted again to the tang. If you open this video to YT, look at the 1st viewer's comment - too funny!! :D

BTW, this may be too small for a shop that turns out as many knives as CRK.

[video=youtube;IS8-ZLTU-6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8-ZLTU-6c[/video]

I would be furious if my sebenza had any play at all. Especially if I paid CRK alot of $ to repair it and got it back in the same shape.
Such an expensive and popular knife should come with the best warranty. Not an angry spat from the owner.
Ridiculous.

A carbidizer can be had for as low as $250 but then after laying down a coat of tungsten carbide (I think??) then it has to be fitted again to the tang. If you open this video to YT, look at the 1st viewer's comment - too funny!! :D

BTW, this may be too small for a shop that turns out as many knives as CRK.

[video=youtube;IS8-ZLTU-6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8-ZLTU-6c[/video

If you're referring to if CRK did it, what do you mean fit again to the tang? Why would they not wait until it's carbidized then do it the once?

If you refer to anyone who would do it to their knife, I have one and did it to my 'bad' Seb. I couldn't see a difference in lock up before and after, which isn't to say there isn't any, but it is to say refitting seems unnecessary. From what I read the layer is a few thousandths of an inch thick, which is much thinner then the dents you see in the lock bars pictures showing wear (not just the bad ones, but any well used knife), so it stands to reason that if carbidizing requires refitting, so does any CRK with sign of wear, which I haven't seen anyone claim true. That line or argument assumes my one trial holds true to all knives, which I admit isn't necessarily so (I have tried it on other, non-CRK integral lock knives to see the same results, however).

That's too bad. You should have sent it right back and got a refund or a different one. If i were to purchase a brand new tv from an "authorized dealer", and i had dead colors in a corner, i wouldn't just say ho-hum i'll deal with it, because i love the tv, then complain later about it. I think most people would go right back and return or exchange.
One of the big dealers we all know.

I can't understand why you and some others complain of poor customer service when you clearly bought a used sebenza from a random person. Normally when people post of complaints, all the facts aren't out on the table. It's just complaining.

Every company will have its flaws, but if some things are being left out, then it makes all the difference.

kaous got his problem fixed with no hassle whatsoever, while dirac seems to have had an opposite situation,. So many factors could determine the situation :/
I just don't understand why people cant believe lemons can get through QC. Chris has been having problems with the screws and fit and finish of those so why is it so hard to believe the lock face could be made wrong (not necessarily on purpose) or lemons could get through.

Idk just my .02 but if you think about it, it makes more sense than carburization.

Edit- i meant every word, but have decided to just erase it all, except for the very end.

....I'm not talking to the few that really does have a REAL problem. CRK will take great care of you, as he always has with me and others.....

You will not find another production company that sends out knives that have as few problems as a CRK. No way.
They have the best QC, and the awards prove it. Can anyone think of another production knife that has the QC that CRK has.

btw- very sorry for the rant, but I did hold back a lot,lol. I'm just really tired of seeing how some people talk about Chris. I feel a person that makes a knife this great, and has done as much as he has for the knife world deserves a little more respect. Especially in his own room. Please show Chris the respect he deserves.

Last edited:
I would be furious if my sebenza had any play at all. Especially if I paid CRK alot of $ to repair it and got it back in the same shape.
Such an expensive and popular knife should come with the best warranty. Not an angry spat from the owner.
Ridiculous.

:thumbup: +1

김원진;10929515 said:
That's too bad. You should have sent it right back and got a refund or a different one. If i were to purchase a brand new tv from an "authorized dealer", and i had dead colors in a corner, i wouldn't just say ho-hum i'll deal with it, because i love the tv, then complain later about it. I think most people would go right back and return or exchange.

I can't understand why you and some others complain of poor customer service when you clearly bought a used sebenza from a random person. Normally when people post of complaints, all the facts aren't out on the table. It's just complaining.

Every company will have its flaws, but if some things are being left out, then it makes all the difference.

kaous got his problem fixed with no hassle whatsoever, while dirac seems to have had an opposite situation,. So many factors could determine the situation :/

If you roll the dice and buy a "new in box" from the exchange or fleabay. You can still return it with PP protection in one case or PP protection and in the GB&U sub-forum in the other.

Ken - I agree with you. Chris went out of his way to help me on my last Sebenza - made it perfect and sent it back the day after it was delivered. 2 day delivery and on his dime. :thumbup:

...btw- very sorry for the rant, but I did hold back a lot,lol. I'm just really tired of seeing how some people talk about Chris. I feel a person that makes a knife this great, and has done as much as he has for the knife world deserves a little more respect. Especially in his own room. Please show Chris the respect he deserves.

If Chris has been talking on the phone to people like some have reported, then I can understand the lack of respect being portrayed in these post. Respect goes both ways.

Chris has indeed contributed to the knife community, but he's no God and shouldn't get a free ride for the numerous accounts of rude behavior toward customers/those in the knife community.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and Chris has achieved a status where accountability doesn't exist...

-sh00ter

If Chris has been talking on the phone to people like some have reported, then I can understand the lack of respect being portrayed in these post. Respect goes both ways.

Chris has indeed contributed to the knife community, but he's no God and shouldn't get a free ride for the numerous accounts of rude behavior toward customers/those in the knife community.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and Chris has achieved a status where accountability doesn't exist...

-sh00ter

I tend to agree with the above. I have personally had a phone call from Chris nearly a year ago when I got my first Sebenza. I was belittled and literally called names that will get you banned here on the forums. I still love his knives, but he is no people person.

Respect goes both ways, indeed. I was shocked to be called names like that after dropping nearly 500 dollars on one of his knives. It was a wake up call to say the least. I'm still cordial to him, and I've talked to him since, but that even left me a little scarred.

I'm honestly not trying to argue, just trying to understand...

The washers show clear damage. I'm trying to figure out how the washers would be damaged in that fashion while using the knife. It seems to me like damage such as that would have to occur while the washers were out of the knife.

As far as the lock, I've seen MANY pictures on here of concerned customers with locks that look exactly like that and Chris says that as long as there is no lock movement it's not a problem.......

As far as the stop pin and pivot bushing, those arrows point to shadows and reflections. It's a round object, so any evidence of peening or damage would be clearly evident.

I'm sure Chris has come across a few sure enough abused knives, but come on - not everyone is beating the hell out of these things. It seems his first (knee jerk) response is to blame the customer for abusing the knife (even if the customer explains that the knife is new), and that's not cool.

There have been too many people coming forth with the same story; Chris blames them for the damage to the knife (again, even if it's new!), and then explaining that they might not even be able to fix it. Are we really going to just ignore that?

I read through the thread again and wanted to post my 2 cents on a little thing. It looks to me like the damage to the washers was caused by the ball detent on the lockbar hitting them because the lockbar traveled so far over.

I tend to agree with the above. I have personally had a phone call from Chris nearly a year ago when I got my first Sebenza. I was belittled and literally called names that will get you banned here on the forums. I still love his knives, but he is no people person.

Respect goes both ways, indeed. I was shocked to be called names like that after dropping nearly 500 dollars on one of his knives. It was a wake up call to say the least. I'm still cordial to him, and I've talked to him since, but that even left me a little scarred.

:thumbup:

-sh00ter

:thumbup:

You guys are great. Every few months someone comes up with the same old line, CRK knives aren't that good, the service isn't either and the owner is a hotheaded jerk. Why feed the trolls?

Who really cares if Crimson Tide Shooter or Diracismyhero are right? They're trolls, high functioning ones, but trolls still. They live for the attention. Without it, they whither and go away...right?

You own a sebenza, it is in your pocket, it works, nothing they say will change the reality of your own experience. You can't insult a knife...it has no feelings.

You guys are great. Every few months someone comes up with the same old line, CRK knives aren't that good, the service isn't either and the owner is a hotheaded jerk. Why feed the trolls?

Who really cares if Crimson Tide Shooter or Diracismyhero are right? They're trolls, high functioning ones, but trolls still. They live for the attention. Without it, they whither and go away...right?

Not everyone who has an issue with Chris or his knives are trolls. Can we finally get past that? Don't come into a thread telling others not to do exactly what you're doing, hypocrites aren't loved anywhere. I like CRK knives, but I'm not so attached to the brand I can't see faults. Many people in here need to take off their blinders.

nothing they say will change the reality of your own experience.

You said it! We all have our OWN experiences and the reality is not all are positive. Can that be accepted without being a troll?

Who really cares if Crimson Tide Shooter or Diracismyhero are right? They're trolls, high functioning ones, but trolls still. They live for the attention. Without it, they whither and go away...right?...

Lol, way to talk about trolls in a post that's clearly trolling in itself... oh the irony:D

Not everyone who has an issue with Chris or his knives are trolls. Can we finally get past that? Don't come into a thread telling others not to do exactly what you're doing, hypocrites aren't loved anywhere. I like CRK knives, but I'm not so attached to the brand I can't see faults. Many people in here need to take off their blinders.
You said it! We all have our OWN experiences and the reality is not all are positive. Can that be accepted without being a troll?

+1

Still no reply from Chris reeve, or a representative.......:rolleyes:

Probably wont get one in this thread. CRK actively reads and follows these thread but seldom post.

-sh00ter

Back