Victorinox SAK Farmer...What's so special about them?...

i bought a farmer about 4 months ago because of all the hype....

after inspecting it....it's still in the safe..

it just did'nt work for me

I always carry the Soldier. I also have the Huntsman. That little saw is very aggressive. Very useful.

I don't have Farmer for the simple reason is that I am cheap. One day I will pic one up because my camper/hiker models are awesome and the soldier I EDC at work is just lacking one thing...a saw.

I'm in the same boat. I have an Alox soldier which I adore. A big part of the step up is the Alox - the scales just feel good in the hand and look great. The thicker blades just feel more robust. The Alox is just a really big improvement over the standard red plastic. I had a camper which had all the tools I like and the Soldier immediately replaced the camper.

When I look at the soldier for a bush blade backup - what comes to mind is 'I wish this had a saw'. The farmer has it, and therefore makes it a complete package. In real deal Alox glory.

The only downside to the farmer is it is actually rather unusual to come by. How many times have you seen the big vic-case twirling away with all its blades - rarely a farmer to be found in there. While in Germany - there was a victorinox display in just about every 2nd shop I popped in and never saw a farmer. That is where I picked up my soldier though!

A lot of people get their farmer's on-line. However, one of the joys of buying SAKs is their common availability in local retail stores. It would be like ordering a buck 110 from an on-line source. Unless it is a custom why would I do that, I pop over to wallmart or more likely Cndn tire and snag one the old fashion way.

Their is a case outlet store here that also has victorinox too. They have all the aloxs inn all colors. Im gonna get down there and snag em up, seems like they are gettin harder to find. Especially the color models.

Their is a case outlet store here that also has victorinox too. They have all the aloxs inn all colors. Im gonna get down there and snag em up, seems like they are gettin harder to find. Especially the color models.

Is there a green alox farmer? That'd rock.

I love my farmer it goes everywhere with me. My only complaint was that it did not have the tweezers like other SAK's. I remedied that by attaching a set of those pinpoint tweezers from brigade quartermaster. Now it truely is the perfect SAK. I will add pics soon.

I always have one in my pocket, in my daypack, and in my backpack. It is handy since it has all the tools I need in one small package. Saw and awl are great, I also use the bottle opener alot as well.;)

I'm probably going to pick one up soon. Much as I love my Wenger Handyman, I never use the scissors, the nail file just takes up space (though I use it more often than I thought I would) and it's just a hair too thick to ride comfortably in my jeans pocket. Plus one of the scales broke near the toothpick slot.

The Farmer looks like it has everything I need in a SAK, except the tweezers. I may have to copy you, cb4life, on that. How do you carry the tweezers with it?

for me, it's the outrider. I uise every blade on that thing at least twice a week, the scissors, bottle, and wine opener daily. The extra length on the saw is WAY worth the slight carry penalty, and the lockblade is great for light use. (my definition of medium use involves hitting blades with sticks)

edit to add -

J Williams- tell me if you find a red, green, or black alox and I'll work something out with you :)

General comment- I WISH vic would make an Alox outrider.

Last edited:
I have a blue Alox farmer and like it very much. That said, it is a bit mystifying the cult status that it has achieved. I wrote and article about it on our site and it's by far the most popular article with the most hits of all articles on our site. Go figure!!

Garrett Lucas, Senior editor
www.woodsmonkey.com

Very cheap, people friendly (which I personally like), and I use the saw to open/break down cardboard boxes, which it does pretty easily. I usually have another knife on me, and the cardboard does a number on the edge, so using the saw means less maintenance on the primary knife that I carry. Count me down for one who likes it.

Is there a green alox farmer? That'd rock.

Ive only seen red, silver and blue. Green would rule though. Ive seen the blue ones look green in some peoples pics.

Now, there are green alox SAKs. I believe the cadet. If the scales are swapable, That would be a sweet mod. Ive always wanted one of the orange alox scales on a farmer.

Ive seen the type3 annod ones, those are almost OD green in color. Im gettin one of them in a 3 layer with a clip sometime.

for me, it's the outrider. I uise every blade on that thing at least twice a week, the scissors, bottle, and wine opener daily. The extra length on the saw is WAY worth the slight carry penalty, and the lockblade is great for light use. (my definition of medium use involves hitting blades with sticks)

edit to add -

J Williams- tell me if you find a red, green, or black alox and I'll work something out with you :)

They had a bunch of red at that store, and a couple blue and a bunch of silver. Ill snag one up for ya as soon as I make it down there.:thumbup:

They had a bunch of red at that store, and a couple blue and a bunch of silver. Ill snag one up for ya as soon as I make it down there.:thumbup:

Could ya price me a blue and a silver? Let me know how much and I'll send it to ya with a few bones to cover shipping

PeACE
Dougo

I will stop in there next time Im down in osage beach. I work down near there tommarow so if I transport to the hospital down there I will stop in when im on my way back.

I will get an inventory of what they have, and email you and christof:thumbup:

edit to add -

Just a heads-up as well, Amazon has the red Alox Farmers for just under $30 right now.

I have a blue Alox farmer and like it very much. That said, it is a bit mystifying the cult status that it has achieved. I wrote and article about it on our site and it's by far the most popular article with the most hits of all articles on our site. Go figure!!

Garrett Lucas, Senior editor
www.woodsmonkey.com

Awesome article Garrett! Good stuff!

heres a link to it....
http://www.woodsmonkey.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50:swiss-army-farmer&catid=34:knives&Itemid=55

Man, I remember REI had em for like 14 bucks not too long ago...... That was awesome I bought 4.

I'm probably going to pick one up soon. Much as I love my Wenger Handyman, I never use the scissors, the nail file just takes up space (though I use it more often than I thought I would) and it's just a hair too thick to ride comfortably in my jeans pocket. Plus one of the scales broke near the toothpick slot.

The Farmer looks like it has everything I need in a SAK, except the tweezers. I may have to copy you, cb4life, on that. How do you carry the tweezers with it?

I have to ask, what do you guys use the tweezers for? I have some on my Vic Champ and my Vic Ranger. I always found them too light duty to be worth a darn (took me awhile to think of the word, darn :eek:) Instead, I carry a small hemostat.

Doc

Back