Victorinox SAK Farmer...What's so special about them?...

I have to ask, what do you guys use the tweezers for? I have some on my Vic Champ and my Vic Ranger. I always found them too light duty to be worth a darn (took me awhile to think of the word, darn :eek:) Instead, I carry a small hemostat.

Doc

We get ticks real bad in the summer here, Doc. I use the tweezers on my SAK nearly every day in the summer months to pick 'em off and hold them over my Mini-Bic's flame till they pop. That's about the only way I've found to reliably kill them.

I use the tweezers for splinters as well, though less often. What hemostat do you carry? I might be interested in picking up one.

We get ticks real bad in the summer here, Doc. I use the tweezers on my SAK nearly every day in the summer months to pick 'em off and hold them over my Mini-Bic's flame till they pop. That's about the only way I've found to reliably kill them.

I use the tweezers for splinters as well, though less often. What hemostat do you carry? I might be interested in picking up one.

I don't know which hemostat it is. I picked it up years ago and it (the hemostat :rolleyes:) is a fairly small one.

Doc

The Farmer is popular because it has so much for it's size and compliment of tools; it's toughness (thicker tools, alox), and the feel in your hand and on you (pocket, key-chain etc).
Sure you can carry a dedicated knife, saw, screwdrivers, awl, bottle and can opener but many don't want too, they like light and easy.
and they look nice too! :p
jfhg5h.jpg

...Why all the famer hype? Well, IMO the blade looks much better than the normal blades (they're bigger and thicker) and it feels better and more solid than the normal models, without feeling heavy. Of course I'm not just speaking for the farmer, but for other ALOX models, too...

Didn't know that ALOX models had thicker blades than the red plastic ones. I will have to check it out soon. Can anyone elaborate a tad more on this?
Mikel

Farmer's blade is 2.82mm at the thickest part, a similar sized plastic handled model (champ) is 2.41mm at the same spot.

I don't much get it either. I just don't see the usefulness of that tiny saw.

Your kidding, right? I had Scibeer build my Woodsman SAK with nothing but the main blade, woodsaw, and awl. I own a TON of SAKs and they all have one thing in common, the woodsaw. Most useful.

Back to the orginal question, the Farmer is very popular because it fits the needs of a lot of people. Unlike a lot of SAKs, it has everything you need in a tough, small package, but not a lot of extra stuff you won't need in the woods. It is just so handy, that once you start carrying one and using it, it shines.

The saw that Victorinox includes in their SAKs is excellent. I wish they made a larger version that cut just as well. The Vic saw outperforms just about every folding saw I have ever used except for some of the Silky saws.

The Farmer is basically the perfect combo of tools for many of us. I use mine constantly for everything from adjusting the zero on one of my ACOGs or Aimpoints to fire prep.

While in Germany - there was a victorinox display in just about every 2nd shop I popped in and never saw a farmer. That is where I picked up my soldier though!

I bought mine in Freiburg (Southwest Germany). They didn't display it there either. I had to ask if they had ALOX models - and they did. They told me that the average customer (who buys SAKs as a souvenier or gift) rarely asks for them. If someone asks, it's someone who needs it for work (electricians for example).

Yeah, too bad there are so few comparison pictures of the blades and the blade thickness. If noone posts one, I'll see what I can do tonight. Gotta return to my studies now. :( ;)

I think we as knife nuts tend to overshoot what we actually need knife wise in the field. I used to not really get the SAK thing, and when I did carry one it was a larger locking model. But when I finally bought a Farmer and used it, I realized just what a handy and compact tool it was.

No, not kidding at all. I have no use for a pocket sized wood saw.

Your kidding, right? I had Scibeer build my Woodsman SAK with nothing but the main blade, woodsaw, and awl. I own a TON of SAKs and they all have one thing in common, the woodsaw. Most useful.

Back to the orginal question, the Farmer is very popular because it fits the needs of a lot of people. Unlike a lot of SAKs, it has everything you need in a tough, small package, but not a lot of extra stuff you won't need in the woods. It is just so handy, that once you start carrying one and using it, it shines.

For you guys that like a Farmer but also like a 2nd blade take a look at the Electrician Plus. Its got a neat little sheepfoot instead of the can opener and no key chain/split ring attachment to dig into the palm of your hand during extended use. Im using mine to do the 6 month exclusive EDC exercise on this forum--KV

I love my farmer. It is the perfect collection of implements that I can comfortable pocket. The saw is great. You would be suprised at the thickness of material you can cut with that tiny saw with the right amount of ingenuity and commitment. I got mine for $16 and some change on the Walmart web site. For that price I can use the hell out of it without any reservations. It feels good in the hand and feels several more times as robust ast the standard cellidor handled SAKs. ounce for ounce it is probably the most powerful and versatile little tool you can comfortably pocket EDC.

Until this thread, I thought SAK's with ALOX scales, were just that, knives with different, better scales. I have broken several red plastic scales on SAK's. I never heard of or thought the blades were different (thicker). Glad I got two (red and silver) from REI outlet with 20% discount for about $12 each!

I have to admit, I'm not that big on the Farmer. IMO the only thing it has going for it is the Alox scales.
I bought the Rucksack because of the longer saw (nearly an inch longer). It has the same tools as the Farmer, but adds a corkscrew (OK, never used it, have no use for it on a tool like this), and tweezers and the toothpick. I actually prefer the reamer being at 90 degrees, it just works better for me.
The only thing I wish it had is scissors (and It's been pointed out to me that the Outrider is the same size and adds the scissors and a small phillips head, which while not needed in the field is nice to have EDC). I actually use the scissors on my Gerber multitool fairly often, but have no need to carry the heavy pliers and stuff on the Gerber in the woods. So, when I can, the Outrider is inbound.

As for the blade being thicker on the Farmer, that honestly doesn't matter to me. I EDC a Ka-Bar Mule, and in the woods I'll have a BRKT Aurora with me for knife duties. I can honestly say all I ever use the SAK blade for is eating, and the standard width blade is fine for that.

It really depends on what you need to do. If I could design the perfect SAK for me, I'd like a Rucksack minus the corkscrew, plus the scissors, and with Alox scales.

No, not kidding at all. I have no use for a pocket sized wood saw.

Noone says it can replace a big saw, but for it's size it's more useful than I would have imagined before trying it. It's the saw you can have on you when you don't expect to saw something. But if you have to, it's ready and it does the job quite good. For me it's all the saw I need and it's safer than chopping or batoning, but almost (half) as fast. ;)

I'm really not trying to hype anything. Like I said, other SAKs are just as good. Pick one that suits you, or don't bother with SAKs. The market is so huge and there is a big variety of good makers and products to choose from today. It doesn't have to be a SAK.

It has all you need and nothing you don't with durability and compactness. The saw is great for notching things, which for me, is more efficient than other methods. Its small size makes it good for notching small wood for breaking or shelter making. Other tools have these, but not in the size, compactness.

I love my Farmer but... whenever i carry it i end up carrying a classic as well. I just miss the scissors too much.
For me the tools i use the most are 1.blade 2.can-opener 3.scissors THEN saw etc.

Now a Farmer with scissors, well that would totally rock!

When it comes to 2 layer SAKs the Farmer and the Compact are my favorites.

Most of the time lately if i'm carrying a SAK its the Huntsman or an Outrider.

Back