Vises - "a leg to stand on"

Agent_H, when you get a minute, can you send me the dimensions of the U-bolt that holds the spring and the mounting bracket in place? I need the diameter, length, and width. I'm not sure if the U-bolt should be 1" or 1 1/4" wide. Seems like about 3" should be good for length, but let me know how long the one on your vise is. also, can you describe the general dimensions of the part of the mounting bracket that sits against the vise arm and that the u bolt goes through. That part of the bracket on mine was totally destroyed and I can't infer much from it. I know I can make anything that will work, but I'd like it to look pretty close to correct. Also what is that little folded strip of steel between your bracket and the vise arm?

Thanks!

I wish I could find a square headed bolt to replace the bolt that holds the two arms together - mine was stripped some. I can find them online but not individually, and I don't really want to buy six 3/4" x 3" square head bolts - probably will not have a use for many of those.

My drafting skills are minimal but I hope this helps:
3627-B3-BE-0218-4-A7-B-B6-BE-BB19768-BBD78.png

D828428-C-79-DE-49-EE-BBAD-67-C86841-B21-B.jpg

49-F64-E18-7-AD0-435-D-A979-698-AB9878815.png

A59151-D9-42-D6-4358-B07-B-476027-D99-E59.jpg

Almost bought another complete one on Saturday. Someone else's tune-up.
15983935-7-EFC-4-BEE-95-AA-217-A4814-D2-F8.png

Thanks man! this is perfect. I should be good to go now.

so, what's up with that folded strip of steel between your vise arm and bracket? some kind of spacer?

Thanks man! this is perfect. I should be good to go now.

so, what's up with that folded strip of steel between your vise arm and bracket? some kind of spacer?

The previous owner mounted the bracket where the shank narrows under the jaws.
That plate is soft, it pulled around the narrowed shank some, resulting in the plate being tipped towards the floor instead of level with a bench-style mount.
I don’t need it since it’s been fixed but the fab guy slipped it back in there- it’s not tightened down yet and I might still appreciate it being there when I go to mount it.

Just guessing.

Back