Vises - "a leg to stand on"

The guys at the shop were cool. It took two hours from drop off. I wanted it 42” OAH. 7/8" matched what was left of the post nub.

A new leg to make my "vise" an actual “post vise”.

The mounting plate is made from some softer steel. This one was bulged pretty well from the previous owner(s) cinching it down with the U-bolt above the shank where it narrows. The welder flattened that out without me asking.

I did ask for him to straighten the handle:

A lot of these old leg vises have repairs and function for many years thereafter

When I had my 145 apart for cleaning and I found the following:
1) The screw box has been brazed/repaired
2) The thrust washer shows signs of being forged welded so it's likely either been repaired or is wholly shop made
3) The screw box washer has also been forge welded and doesn't look to be factory
4) The spring could be factory but it sort resembles half a leaf spring

Big%20vise%20parts.jpg

On my old 85 pounder the mounting bracket was home made and the spring had been made from an old prybar. It came with a big ill-fitting flat washer as the thrust washer (why I switched to the throw out bearing). The thing to remember is that these were owned by blacksmiths who used them hard and were quite comfortable with making repairs when needed. Both of these old vises work perfectly despite their age and repairs.

The guys at the shop were cool. It took two hours from drop off. I wanted it 42” OAH. 7/8" matched what was left of the post nub.

The mounting plate is made from some softer steel. This one was bulged pretty well from the previous owner(s) cinching it down with the U-bolt above the shank where it narrows. The welder flattened that out without me asking.

That thing looks great now! You're set.

When I had my 145 apart for cleaning and I found the following:
1) The screw box has been brazed/repaired
2) The thrust washer shows signs of being forged welded so it's likely either been repaired or is wholly shop made
3) The screw box washer has also been forge welded and doesn't look to be factory
4) The spring could be factory but it sort resembles half a leaf spring

Big%20vise%20parts.jpg

On my old 85 pounder the mounting bracket was home made and the spring had been made from an old prybar. It came with a big ill-fitting flat washer as the thrust washer (why I switched to the throw out bearing). The thing to remember is that these were owned by blacksmiths who used them hard and were quite comfortable with making repairs when needed. Both of these old vises work perfectly despite their age and repairs.

That big washer is a burly thing! Your vise looks quite a bit heavier-set than this one I’m messing with.

That big washer is a burly thing! Your vise looks quite a bit heavier-set than this one I’m messing with.

It's 4-3/8" o.d. and 1-1/16th thick, likely forged out of 1-1/18" round stock. The screw is 1-3/4" o.d. There's a reason this thing weighs 145 pounds. It's all burly.

My friend, the late Larry Langdon of Monster Metals had a 9-inch jaw vise with a chain drive to a lower screw so that the whole moveable jaw moved parallel to the fixed jaw. This sort of thing.....

chain%20drive%20vise.jpg

But that isn't Larry's. I can't find a picture of Larry's. Anyway, Larry's made mine look like a pussy vise. But Larry was a real blacksmith and I'm not.

Last edited:
It's 4-3/8" o.d. and 1-1/16th thick, likely forged out of 1-1/18" round stock. The screw is 1-3/4" o.d. There's a reason this thing weight 145 pounds. It's all burly.

My friend, the late Larry Langdon of Monster Metals had a 9-inch jaw vise with a chain drive to a lower screw so that the whole moveable jaw moved parallel to the fixed jaw. This sort of thing.....

chain%20drive%20vise.jpg

But that isn't Larry's. I can't find a picture of Larry's. Anyway, Larry's made mine look like a pussy vise. But Larry was a real blacksmith and I'm not.

Oh Man! How do you follow that post and not feel inadequate lol! That chain driven vise...i have never seen nor heard of anything like it before.

Here is my little guy, I need an outside washer I believe opposite the handle end.

Edit: the screw box washer

Square_peg that must have been an amazing vise your friend had and to see in action...along with what sounds to be an amazing shop.

Miller '72 Miller '72 , I wasn't sure if you meant to stick a picture in with your last post but some designs didn't use a screw box washer. At least with one type, the screw box fits tightly into the shank and was kept from spinning around via a heavier box and tab that mates up with a slot. That type doesn't take a washer - could yours be that type?

Quikwerk:
D3-F7448-E-CE20-4079-BEA8-045-C411-B908-F.jpg

Your New London 60 from a few pages back:
20190526-171922.jpg

I had a little four inch that was more modern with a coil spring but it had been shortened so needed a block under the leg. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Just quicker to use and solid enough for most of my purposes. Hard to own to many vices.

I had a little four inch that was more modern with a coil spring but it had been shortened so needed a block under the leg. I sold it and have regretted it ever since. Just quicker to use and solid enough for most of my purposes. Hard to own to many vices.

Yeah, the beauty of the leg vise is the increased access to a 3rd side of the vise. A bench vise mounted on the corner of a bench still only allows you to stand on 2 sides of the vise. The leg sticks out from the bench where it's more useful. Plus you can whale the snot out of it since it's supported to ground with the heavy iron leg.

Yeah, the beauty of the leg vise is the increased access to a 3rd side of the vise. A bench vise mounted on the corner of a bench still only allows you to stand on 2 sides of the vise. The leg sticks out from the bench where it's more useful. Plus you can whale the snot out of it since it's supported to ground with the heavy iron leg.
I am not going with out but have sold a couple smaller ones, I think both were four inch and about 80lbs or so. Should have kept one smaller one and got a little more creative in where I mounted them.

Miller '72 Miller '72 , I wasn't sure if you meant to stick a picture in with your last post but some designs didn't use a screw box washer. At least with one type, the screw box fits tightly into the shank and was kept from spinning around via a heavier box and tab that mates up with a slot. That type doesn't take a washer - could yours be that type?

Quikwerk:
D3-F7448-E-CE20-4079-BEA8-045-C411-B908-F.jpg

Your New London 60 from a few pages back:
20190526-171922.jpg

It was late and I meant to include this picture...

20190709-192831.jpg

Circled in blue the Thrust washer appears in good condition. Going by the diagram provided previously and only due to my just learning as I go with this leg vise I assumed my vise would require the screw box washer...also in part because I find the screw is very wobbly and unsteady in the screw eye and thought the washer might be missing that might take up any of that play...I am not sure.

It was late and I meant to include this picture...

20190709-192831.jpg

Circled in blue the Thrust washer appears in good condition. Going by the diagram provided previously and only due to my just learning as I go with this leg vise I assumed my vise would require the screw box washer...also in part because I find the screw is very wobbly and unsteady in the screw eye and thought the washer might be missing that might take up any of that play...I am not sure.

Would you humor me and take the assembly apart and shoot a couple of photos?

I’m just generally interested :)

There is actually a bit of play in them for clearance opening and closing. That is a neat vise.

Would you humor me and take the assembly apart and shoot a couple of photos?

I’m just generally interested :)

There is actually a bit of play in them for clearance opening and closing. That is a neat vise.

Thank you and yes I want to take it apart too!:);)
I will and take pics asap...when its safe to go back into the water:(

I do know there needs to be a bit of play, I just dont know what to expect not having seen one in action before.
The wear in places seems to tell me that what I see is normal from its usage and perhaps this is an example of a little knowledge can be dangerous o_O

Soon I hope to dedicate a can of PB Blaster and get those pics for us both:)

Agent_H, when you get a minute, can you send me the dimensions of the U-bolt that holds the spring and the mounting bracket in place? I need the diameter, length, and width. I'm not sure if the U-bolt should be 1" or 1 1/4" wide. Seems like about 3" should be good for length, but let me know how long the one on your vise is. also, can you describe the general dimensions of the part of the mounting bracket that sits against the vise arm and that the u bolt goes through. That part of the bracket on mine was totally destroyed and I can't infer much from it. I know I can make anything that will work, but I'd like it to look pretty close to correct. Also what is that little folded strip of steel between your bracket and the vise arm?

Thanks!

I wish I could find a square headed bolt to replace the bolt that holds the two arms together - mine was stripped some. I can find them online but not individually, and I don't really want to buy six 3/4" x 3" square head bolts - probably will not have a use for many of those.

Agent_H, when you get a minute, can you send me the dimensions of the U-bolt that holds the spring and the mounting bracket in place? I need the diameter, length, and width. I'm not sure if the U-bolt should be 1" or 1 1/4" wide. Seems like about 3" should be good for length, but let me know how long the one on your vise is. also, can you describe the general dimensions of the part of the mounting bracket that sits against the vise arm and that the u bolt goes through. That part of the bracket on mine was totally destroyed and I can't infer much from it. I know I can make anything that will work, but I'd like it to look pretty close to correct. Also what is that little folded strip of steel between your bracket and the vise arm?

Thanks!

I wish I could find a square headed bolt to replace the bolt that holds the two arms together - mine was stripped some. I can find them online but not individually, and I don't really want to buy six 3/4" x 3" square head bolts - probably will not have a use for many of those.

Buy the bolts...the need will come. :thumbsup:

Did you check McMaster-Carr?

Back