WARNING: To NYC Residents & Tourists

fixed blades should be good, but there is one member here that works for the legal department of a local college that has stated there was one case where a small fixed blade was considered a dirk. That to me would be a rare case that I would not worry about. the gravity knife issue is taught in the Police academy to recriuts so that is a far more enforced policy.

Tom, I appreciate all this good info as I still go back to visit every year and unwittingly have violated the law. Can you please answer 2 questions for me:

1. What if the handle had transfat on it so that the officer couldn't flick it open without it slipping out of their hands?:D

2. Now a serious question, does the </= 3" fixed blade have to be carried in any specific manner so as to not violate the law? Concealed vs. open carry, can it be in a pocket, etc.?

Thanks again.

The trans fat I am not sure of...lol...in NYC it has to be concealed, not visible in any manner, which includes the clip showing at the top of a pants pocket. The laws are very different in different parts of the USA as is apparent from this forum. In NYC there is a belief that having a knife exposed in any way is unacceptable in public. In most other parts of the USA it seems that they want it out in the open so everyone knows you had the knife.....not here. You could carry it in a pocket as long as it fits totally and is not visible.

The trans fat I am not sure of...lol...in NYC it has to be concealed, not visible in any manner, which includes the clip showing at the top of a pants pocket. The laws are very different in different parts of the USA as is apparent from this forum. In NYC there is a belief that having a knife exposed in any way is unacceptable in public. In most other parts of the USA it seems that they want it out in the open so everyone knows you had the knife.....not here. You could carry it in a pocket as long as it fits totally and is not visible.

Thanks for your input, Tom. It looks like my BM210 will be in my RF pocket next time.

No. Ever since I stopped breast feeding, trans fats have been clogging my arterys, and I didn't even know they existed until they put them on the nutrition label. Trans fat brings no joy into anybody's life except the CEOs of margarine companys.
And now you are fully apprised of the "dangers" of trans-fats and can CHOOSE not to eat them.....I personally like the occasional Oreo. If you are concerned about your arteries clogging, STOP EATING PRE-PACKAGED FOODS as a general rule. Fortunately, I do not live in a nanny-state where it is assumed that "We The People" are too stupid to know what is good for us....at least not totally. Notice how movie popcorn and McDonalds fries don't taste as good since wehad to get rid of the evil coconut oil and beef suet?
:D

Coconut oil has a flavor. You can still eat french fries, oreos, and all that other junk without trans fats, and it will taste exactly the same. Frito-lay got rid of trans fats a long time ago. Did you notice your chips taste any differently?

I can't live my life without pre packaged foods unless I want to sacrifice hours of my free time every day or go on a weird diet. At the very least I need to buy bread and milk.

Coconut oil has a flavor. You can still eat french fries, oreos, and all that other junk without trans fats, and it will taste exactly the same. Frito-lay got rid of trans fats a long time ago. Did you notice your chips taste any differently?

I can't live my life without pre packaged foods unless I want to sacrifice hours of my free time every day or go on a weird diet. At the very least I need to buy bread and milk.

linzoy - nice troll :barf:

The law is about the same in Maine in definition; Switchblade, Butterfly, Gravity and Flick knives are banned. If your old buck 110 can be thrust downward hard and the blade flicks open, it is classified as a dangerous knife (Traff. in Dang. Knives).

The stuff with the cops going after anyone with a clip showing was started by Rudy G. when he was mayor.Not the Bumblebutt that has the office now.
You might think of that when Rudy runs for Prez.

Actually you are wrong it was Koch who passed the new knife law and asked "how am I doing?' as he always did.....

He might have passed the law but it was not used much till Rudy.I have lived and carried in NYC from the time I was 12, have many friends who carry.
I ride a bike with a club(AMA) and often carried openly some BIG blades.
none of us had any problems till Rudys "quality of life" garbage.

linzoy - nice troll :barf:

Quite right. But I would have quoted his 2nd post (found on page 3) on this thread.

His first one raised an eyebrow.... the 2nd one confirmed it. I don't think I've ever met a more disingenuous user on any internet forum.

There's only 2 types of people who could possibly think that banning decent, law-abiding citizens from carrying knives would have a positive effect on a city's crime rate. (Hell, it used to be that if you got caught with an unregistered and loaded gun; you got a mandatory year in prison. How effective was this law? ..... They just changed it to mandatory 3 1/2 years. Nuff said).

And since I don't believe he's an idiot, I'm going to politely ask linzoy to crawl back under the hoplophobic, "I hate weapons and tools, and don't want anyone to carry them, but I'll pretend to be a rational person when I go to BF" rock he crawled out from.

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I can't seem to find the thread.

What about the following EDC in NYC:

1. a fixed blade
2. single edge
3. under 4"
4. totally concealed in a pocket

Thanks

Sorry if this was already brought up, but I can't seem to find the thread.

What about the following EDC in NYC:

1. a fixed blade
2. single edge
3. under 4"
4. totally concealed in a pocket

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I too was wondering what the answer to the above question is.

Thanks to all.:)

It sounds like they are enforcing the law a lot more severely than when I was a NYC cop back in 1970-1983, but it's not a case of misinterpreting the law in NYS as it's written in the penal code. A gravity knife was defined as such back then, too.

" 5. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device. "

Scroll down to section 265.01
http://wings.buffalo.edu/law/bclc/web/NewYork/ny3(b).htm
So why only target the smaller less well off shopkeepers? Surely the law applies to the largest dealers too??

Matt I agree with you, but as with most things the smaller guys do not always follow the rules and this whole search of the stores started with knives being sold to teens and the fact that they could be flicked open was part of the selling process. I don't think the clerks in Walmart or target show you how to flick the knife open to help you decide to buy it...it is hard enough to get one of them to sell you the knife at all.....

I don't know why new york has less crime, and I don't know if weapon control laws reduce crime or increase it. But don't you think it may be more than a coincidence that new york has strict laws and less crime?

its called corruption, the politics get away with it becuse only the citys poor are effected (the ghettos):

http://www.nycpba.org/publications/mag-04-summer/compstat.html

the knife laws in nyc are rediculas. there is a lot of crime in certain areas of the city. the residents can do nothing but be victims. the police are afraid to get jammed up. in the end when people take the law into their own hands or protect themselves they are arrested or knives taken. you can't carry anything to defend yourself here. but the criminals all have guns, blades, or numbers.

its lose lose here.

I meant the large cities. If you look at american cities with over a million people new york is a the safest.

If you don't believe me, here is a list of every crime commited in the united states. http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/offense_tabulations/table_08.html

I don't know why new york has less crime, and I don't know if weapon control laws reduce crime or increase it. But don't you think it may be more than a coincidence that new york has strict laws and less crime? Is that possibility not even worth considering? Everyone on this forum is so outraged by the idea of not being allowed to walk into a bar armed to the teeth with daggers that they never bring up the possibility that the these laws might actually protect people.

Please don't act all indignant. I'm not telling you what to do with your knives. I don't really care. My point is that the police aren't going to knock down your door and steal your stuff like they did to this shop owner. You're all acting like it's a personal attack and the cops are breathing down your neck. As long as you don't attract attention to yourself the police do not care.
Why? What is wrong with that law? If no one had told you trans fat was gone you would never have noticed. Trans fat tastes the same as normal fat, the only difference is it's cheaper and it clogs your heart faster! How can you be against a law that prevents heart attacks?

Hey, man, it's alright. Freedom is not for everyone. I do appreciate your honesty, though. Here I am thinking that the government has to play games to hide it's intentions of usurping civil freedoms and increasing public dependence on itself, and you are man enough to admit that you aren't even responsible enough to decide what to eat.

Hey, man, it's alright. Freedom is not for everyone. I do appreciate your honesty, though. Here I am thinking that the government has to play games to hide it's intentions of usurping civil freedoms and increasing public dependence on itself, and you are man enough to admit that you aren't even responsible enough to decide what to eat.

+1! Well said.

kershaw knives by ken onion with assisted opening would come close to flick knives with that little bit standing out from the top very easy to flip

hmm heres an option pretty senseless but still an option my dad gave me one of his folders would be considered a gravity knife but its screwed on so tight that you must use two hands and a bit of strength to pull that sucker open

Back