Watch out! This might be a trap!

My wife often says, "Many of the best things in life are the simple things." Well, I don't know if she's talking about me or not, but that's the same thought I had, the first time I saw the nail trap trigger in one of Ron and Karen Hood's videos, called Traps and Trapping (highly recommended).

I don’t know what it is about trap triggers but they hold a great fascination for me. From the simple L-7
L-7-revised.jpg

to the more complex large animal deadfalls.

Perhaps it’s the deadly efficiency of something that can be made from a few sticks and bits of cordage. The fact that the concept works is demonstrated by the fact we’re here today. It’s, in a large part, how our ancestors fed themselves.

So anyway, when I saw the nail trap trigger, I was hooked. I started experimenting with it, and the more I played with it, the better I liked it. The nail trap trigger consists of an anchor cord (tied off to a root, rock, etc.) with two loops, one higher than the other, and a spring pole cord with a loop that is attached to the snare.

The spring pole cord is attached to the 2 anchor loops by way of a stick (nail) running through the two anchor loops at an angle (this is important) and the spring pole loop. (Diagram 1)

withtripwire.jpg

The snare is attached to the cord going to the spring pole and (in the original), a trip wire/cord was attached to the lower trigger loop, so that when something tripped the wire, it pulled the lower loop off of the nail, releasing the spring pole (and the snare).

In the original, the trip cord was strung between a rock, which it was tied to, and the lower anchor loop. However I wanted to use it as a neck snare which directly released the trigger. To this end, the trip wire became the end of the snare and was attached to the spring pole cord.

Working on this, I encountered two problems. The first problem was the snare loop dropping down around the anchor loop, negating the mechanical advantage of the trigger to the point where the trigger may not release, or at least, not release properly. (Diagram 1B).

DIAGRAM1B.jpg

In Hood's application, the tension of the trip wire kept the snare loop cord in the proper position. With the neck snare application, this tension is not present.

With a bit of experimenting, I came up with a better set up. (Diagram 2).

correcteddiagramnailtrap.jpg

I, originally, had some concern that the snare loop would pull under the anchor loop without pulling it off. This has not been the case., and even if it was, it could be rectified by making the cord coming from the snare a larger diameter than the anchor loop. By modifying it in this way, the positioning of the trigger, relative to the snare becomes a lot less important.

This trigger is excellent because of its versatility, which you will see more of, shortly, and also because of its (adjustable) sensitivity. Now stop reading (and fondling your knives) and go and set it up. You can do it in your house, if need be, - using a counterbalance weight instead of a spring pole, or elastic bands, or..... I want you to see, first hand, how excellent this trigger is. And that's only the beginning. :D Also, understanding this part helps to understand what's to come.

--------------------------

I'm going to stop at this point and give you a chance to play with it. I want to hear your observations, questions, and any problems you may have with it. I also want to see pictures.

However, if there's no interest, I'll stop now, and save myself a lot of work.

If this continues, I will link the subsequent posts at the beginning of this post, and here, so they will be easy to find.

----------------------------------

Doc

That one looks very sensitive. I remember Ron suing next to it set so he wouldn't get hit in the face if it let loose.

That is a very nifty setup. If I get some time in the next few days I will at least try it, maybe get some pictures.

Traps of all sorts fascinate me.

You've got my interest, Doc! I wrote off that trigger in the video as being too complicated and too easy to get hurt setting up, but after seeing your set up I really like it.

I'm working tonight, but maybe I'll get a chance to play with it tomorrow.

Thanks for posting it and I'd love to see more.

That one looks very sensitive. I remember Ron suing next to it set so he wouldn't get hit in the face if it let loose.

It can be very sensitive, all depends how you set it up.

doc if it rains or sleets wo'nt that keep the cord from moving? i mean a rain then freeze.
dennis

Interesting question. I don't know why it would be more susceptible to this than other cordage based lifting poles snares, but, in another few weeks, the night time temperature should be mostly below 0 F. so I can certainly try it. Also, generally when it's cold enough to freeze, it's too cold to rain.

That is a very nifty setup. If I get some time in the next few days I will at least try it, maybe get some pictures.

Traps of all sorts fascinate me.

Me too bro, as I mentioned in my opening. I'm looking forward to your pictures, but more importantly, your impressions, and any problems you may have.

You've got my interest, Doc! I wrote off that trigger in the video as being too complicated and too easy to get hurt setting up, but after seeing your set up I really like it.

I'm working tonight, but maybe I'll get a chance to play with it tomorrow.

Thanks for posting it and I'd love to see more.

kage, writing off this trigger would be a big mistake. I've played around with a lot of different trap triggers, and this is by far, my favourite. As far as a complicated set up, I have some solutions that you might like. Set it up, then post your findings. It also helps to get a base with which to judge other modifications.

I would be willing to bet you'll be glad you stick with it.

Doc

Hmmm... I'm going out to try tapering the nail/stick and see if it will still hold but be more sensitive...

Thanks for the cool thread Doc! :thumbup:

Very good modification Doc! I too just gave up on this particular snare and trigger due to the perceived complexity. Looking at Ron's original version, I didn't like that the piece looped through the trigger had to navigate over that anchor loop...I just though it left too much room for error and possibly snagging on the knots.

Your version takes that concern out of the equation. Once the snare animal pulls hard enough to activate the trigger, the activation clears the rod and anchor cord immediately.

Pretty cool Doc...Your mind never stops amazing me! :eek::thumbup:

ROCK6

Please excuse my meagre photography skills - low light/backlight... but it's a falkn teddy snare! :eek:

P1000638.jpg

P1000632.jpg

I'm new to snares so please bear (pun) with my nomenclature and choice of knots - any advice re better knots/setup options is welcomed! :thumbup:

Icicle hitch from the 'spring' (tree branch), 2x alpine loops on the snare line finished with a scaffold sliding knot for the 'noose' (not sure why I chose a scaffold knot, it just came to me) and the anchor lead had 2 bowlines and was knotted just short of it's midway point with a simple reef knot around a lower fixed point/branch.

My thoughts and observations - the taper on the end of the pin did seem to increase trigger sensitivity (whether that is a good thing depends on the circumstances?). I can't realistically test this on my neighbourhood possum (protected) but if a trigger failure occurred due to slippage of the 'snare lead trigger loop' under the anchor loop - then perhaps a simple stopper knot on the apex of the snare lead trigger loop would bulk it up to prevent such slippage. FWIW slippage did not appear to be a problem with brief testing tonight. I would also use a self tightening knot on the non triggering end of the pin (to avoid losing it during triggering). Also, when setting the snare the thought came to mind that a second icicle hitch from the spring to a fixed point that is tied off to a fixed point prior to setting the trigger, and the second line is released at it's lower end after the snare is 'set', might avoid it triggering fully during the set up process? Not sure if that safety measure is an approach commonly practised?

Thanks again to DocC for this fun snare reconfiguration!:)

Obligatory PS - no Teddy's were harmed in the setting of this snare... :D

Last edited:
I thought maybe an actual photograph would help.

labelthisone.jpg

Doc

It took a while of looking at this to figure out how it works...

I'm still not sure why one would want to use this than other snare triggers. The L7 one looks like it might be a little hard to cut apart, but I've seen quite a lot of spring-snare type traps that seem like they'd be simpler.

Can this one just hold a stronger pull?

That trigger is very similar to the spring spear trigger, same basic concept just a little different. The bright orange cord is so its easier to see how it works.

[youtube]ScmxTGO-2r8[/youtube]

Great thread GP!!

I remember that trigure when you you showed it to me in Canada. I haven't tried it my self, since I lacked a diagram, but this helps greatly!

Much appreciated!

GS

Hmmm... I'm going out to try tapering the nail/stick and see if it will still hold but be more sensitive...

Thanks for the cool thread Doc! :thumbup:

Edgyone, this trigger is more than sensitive enough, but good on you for thinking about modifications.

Very good modification Doc! I too just gave up on this particular snare and trigger due to the perceived complexity. Looking at Ron's original version, I didn't like that the piece looped through the trigger had to navigate over that anchor loop...I just though it left too much room for error and possibly snagging on the knots.

Your version takes that concern out of the equation. Once the snare animal pulls hard enough to activate the trigger, the activation clears the rod and anchor cord immediately.

Pretty cool Doc...Your mind never stops amazing me! :eek::thumbup:

ROCK6

Rock, as I said to kage, this trigger is dynamite. We have only covered the basics so far. Depending on how you set it, the animal doesn't have to pull hard at all. This trigger and small alterations will do just about anything you would want in a 'motor'-driven snare.

Please excuse my meagre photography skills - low light/backlight... but it's a falkn teddy snare! :eek:

I'm new to snares so please bear (pun) with my nomenclature and choice of knots - any advice re better knots/setup options is welcomed! :thumbup:

Icicle hitch from the 'spring' (tree branch), 2x alpine loops on the snare line finished with a scaffold sliding knot for the 'noose' (not sure why I chose a scaffold knot, it just came to me) and the anchor lead had 2 bowlines and was knotted just short of it's midway point with a simple reef knot around a lower fixed point/branch.

My thoughts and observations - the taper on the end of the pin did seem to increase trigger sensitivity (whether that is a good thing depends on the circumstances?). I can't realistically test this on my neighbourhood possum (protected) but if a trigger failure occurred due to slippage of the 'snare lead trigger loop' under the anchor loop - then perhaps a simple stopper knot on the apex of the snare lead trigger loop would bulk it up to prevent such slippage. FWIW slippage did not appear to be a problem with brief testing tonight. I would also use a self tightening knot on the non triggering end of the pin (to avoid losing it during triggering). Also, when setting the snare the thought came to mind that a second icicle hitch from the spring to a fixed point that is tied off to a fixed point prior to setting the trigger, and the second line is released at it's lower end after the snare is 'set', might avoid it triggering fully during the set up process? Not sure if that safety measure is an approach commonly practised?

Thanks again to DocC for this fun snare reconfiguration!:)

Obligatory PS - no Teddy's were harmed in the setting of this snare... :D

First of all, Edgyone, full marks on getting out and trying this snare.

I had already considered tying an overhand knot to ensure possible pull off of the anchor loop, but it has never been necessary. Also, a small possibility exists of the knot being caught up, during release, that's why I alternately suggesting using a larger diameter cord (no knots). This was a similar concern we had with the drop net trigger in another post.

Losing the 'nail' (stick) while testing the snare has been addressed - stay tuned.

I find it very interesting (and a bit scary that your mind seems to work like mine :eek:) that you experimented with different knots. A different knot is used for this trigger to add in the ease of set up and adjustability - stay tuned.

I never found a safety attachment necessary, but it is a good idea.

It took a while of looking at this to figure out how it works...

I'm still not sure why one would want to use this than other snare triggers. The L7 one looks like it might be a little hard to cut apart, but I've seen quite a lot of spring-snare type traps that seem like they'd be simpler.

Can this one just hold a stronger pull?

Kenny, set the snare up, see how easy it trips, keep in mind what material(s) are needed for set up, and that you don't need a knife to carve trigger parts. This trigger has more going for it that seems evident at first - stay tuned.

That trigger is very similar to the spring spear trigger, same basic concept just a little different. The bright orange cord is so its easier to see how it works.

I don't usually look at videos (I get charged over so many downloads) but I checked it out. How about a drawing of the trigger? I'd like to give it a closer look.

Looks good DOC!

Now I'll have to go out and addapt it to use with cable snares.

That would be no problem at all, and I'm assuming you'd do this to get the target critter out of reach of predators?

A little teaser:

I don't know if any of you noticed anything a little strange about this picture:

labelthisone.jpg

The strangeness is how the cord from the lifting pole cord to the lower anchor loop seems to stand up ever so nicely. The answer? The picture was taken with the trigger mounted sideways:

thewayitwastaken.jpg

The point being that this trigger can be used vertically, horizontally, on an angle, any which way at all and in almost every position when the pull is put on the snare, the trigger self-aligns to that pull. This has an interesting application that has been tested in New Zealand by our buddy Coote. More on that later.

Doc

Doc's use of toggles here are genius! They provide the features of hold large tension for a heavy spring, allow for easy release and high sensitivity, are relatively simple can be built from natures materials. Having seen a few of Doc's traps in action, I think the toggle is the way to go. Just requires some additional practice sessions to fix the memory of getting it down.

Love that close up picture of the cords on the toggle. It makes a tonne of sense!

Doc some of this further information has thickened the plot quite a bit. Hoping to go out and do an overnighter tomorrow and I will have to play with it then after getting camp set up. I have a couple ideas for this trigger already, but want to test them (read: watch them fail) myself before going public with them. May play with a few other of the traps and snares also, haven't done so for a while.

Back