We were all new here once

Hi there all.

I'm considering buying my first good knife and wanted to say thanks for all the advice and impressions. There's an overwhelming amount of information here for a first timer to take in, so I've been soaking it up over the past few weeks!

I had a question more for UK residents. Is their a particular online store you trust above all others? I'm looking into purchasing the Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 and have come across the UK Store Knives and Tools and they seem to have a fantastic collection and reasonable prices.

Is Knives and Tools a good store that people here recommened or are their other good stores people in the UK can vouch for? Many thanks for any impressions.

Live link to non-supporting vendor removed according to terms of service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there all.

I'm considering buying my first good knife and wanted to say thanks for all the advice and impressions. There's an overwhelming amount of information here for a first timer to take in, so I've been soaking it up over the past few weeks!

I had a question more for UK residents. Is their a particular online store you trust above all others? I'm looking into purchasing the Spyderco Pacific Salt 2 and have come across the UK Store Knives and Tools and they seem to have a fantastic collection and reasonable prices.

Is Knives and Tools a good store that people here recommened or are their other good stores people in the UK can vouch for? Many thanks for any impressions.

Live link to non-supporting vendor removed according to terms of service.

Welcome to Bladeforums Wools.

If you're looking for recommendations for UK knife vendors I would suggest you start a thread in this sub-forum here- https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/feedback-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.699/

To start a thread click on the orange "Post Thread" button in the upper right hand side of the screen on the first page in any given sub-forum.

That sub-forum is where members discuss good and bad vendors. There's no guarantee anyone will be able to recommend any, but it's worth a shot. I'd title the thread something direct and to the point like "Looking for Vendors in the UK".

Good luck.

Welcome to Bladeforums Wools.

If you're looking for recommendations for UK knife vendors I would suggest you start a thread in this sub-forum here- https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/feedback-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly.699/

To start a thread click on the orange "Post Thread" button in the upper right hand side of the screen on the first page in any given sub-forum.

That sub-forum is where members discuss good and bad vendors. There's no guarantee anyone will be able to recommend any, but it's worth a shot. I'd title the thread something direct and to the point like "Looking for Vendors in the UK".

Good luck.

Thanks for the warm welcome killgar!

Some great advice and pointers of where to post, thanks for that. I’ll take a look and ask there. Thank you!

Hi all, new member! I enjoy woodworking, and keeping tools sharp has been a passion for years. I've collected various sharpening tools and systems (much to my wife's "delight"), and just recently got a Tormek T8. Really impressed with this thing! It's proven it's worth putting primary bevels on chisels and plane blades. I'll typically then go to a jig and 1000/8000 Norton stone for a small, clean secondary bevel, subsequently honed on a strop. I've also been keeping our kitchen knives sharp (to the best of my ability) using all previous systems, but found I can't maintain a consistent angle when sharpening. The Tormek again has that aspect covered. I have managed to put a slight recurve in one of our Global kitchen knives, so I'm still on the learning curve.
Anyway, glad to be here! Looks like a knowledgeable, friendly group.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :).
Ya, made this new account to come back been about 3 years, lots of harsh folks to the new account, makes me sad especially for folks just getting into the hobby. Its a great community as far as hobbies go

Am new to this forum. I recently purchased a vintage hunting knife that was made by G.W. Stone. It is a Model C #238. It has a 5 inch
stainless steel blade. Anyone have an idea when it was made? From what I have read, after Mr. Stone's passing someone who was
working for him purchased the remaining inventory and continued to make the knives until the inventory was used up. Anyone know
who that might have been?

Yep, New here as of today. Thanks for allowing to post to this forum.
Has a good reputation. I think SO.!

A long-time lurker and follower but a new member. I am a sharpener and have been doing it since 2008. I have a side business doing sharpening and use it to fuel my habit/hobby. I have accumulated pretty much the gamete of sharpening jigs, gizmos and appliances. From an early Loray to the Lansky knockoffs, KME, a Russian, Ukraine, AMK75, Loray 19, WSKO Grinder, two scissor sharpening machines (Not TAS) a box full of stones I have rescued from garage and estate sales, DMT and Eze Lap plates of various grades and a three set Norton India Stone set I recently scored. Not to forget my two Jade Viking sharpeners. And a redheaded wife who will not tolerate dull scissors and knives. In fact, I can blame my addiction on her as she is a quilter. I had to learn to sharpen scissors as a self-protection mechanism. Which led to sharpening knives, a salary that allowed me to pursue trying different things and ideas and somewhat of a hoarders mentality that forgoes me letting go of my finds. Thats how I wound up with two Edge Pro systems. I bought one at a pawn shop for $50 then that weekend was at a gun show and someone had one on a table for $30.
All the while I have become proficient in freehand and use Bugler cigarette wrapping papers to test my edge sharpness.
I am also a purchaser of thrift store and garage sale knives. There is a lot to be learned taking a .25 cent Ginsu and making it into something useful.
This keeps me out of wine sheds and strip clubs and have a faithful following of wild hog hunters I sharpen knives for. There is no secret, just show them how to use a steel to keep the edge honed while skinning and field dressing.
Some want to believe this is a road to wreck and ruin leading to a rabbit hole. Me it IS a road to wreck an ruin but I disagree on the rabbit hole.. More of a road to a volcano.

Hello all, I am new to this forum and am new to sharpening. I used to toss old knives away. I wanted to get a good set of kitchen knives and will lurk here for a long time to absorb and learn as much as possible. To me the collective wisdom and experiences if heeded saves a lot of expense monetarily and emotionally. I bring the proverbial popcorn and couch.

Hello all, I am new to this forum and am new to sharpening. I used to toss old knives away. I wanted to get a good set of kitchen knives and will lurk here for a long time to absorb and learn as much as possible. To me the collective wisdom and experiences if heeded saves a lot of expense monetarily and emotionally. I bring the proverbial popcorn and couch.
Welcome to Bladeforums DuLLn00B.

If you're interested in sharpening discussions there is a sub-forum here where sharpening is a frequent topic. You can find it by clicking this link - https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/

And to see all of the different sub-forums here at Bladeforums just click on the white "Forums" button in the blue banner at the top of the screen.

I'm fairly new to BF; been here maybe five months.

Any time I've posted questions (most of them dumb), I've gotten prompt, courteous and helpful answers.

Blade Forum is, by and large, is an exceptionally civil forum with a strong spirit of fellowship. I spend at least an hour a day reading and posting. It's amazing what you can learn if you read lots of posts and simply pay attention. There's real wisdom--and lots of
humor--here.

I guess this is where you come to say hello to BF … so, Hello, BF.

Old fart here, just first time visiting the forum, and it looks like a nice place, so I joined. I’ve been around multi-purpose pocket knives since my first Cub Scout jack knife, and haven’t been without one since. Definitely not a hardcore user or collector by any stretch, but I like having a decent knife handy for whatever pops up. Up until now, my extensive collection consists of four Swiss Army knives, a couple of multi-tools, and one Estwing fixed-blade work knife that was part of a hatchet and knife set from God knows how long ago that rarely gets used but still has a decent edge on it. Oh yeah, and a 20” machete out in the shed.

Before this plague hit, I had one of my pocket knives on me all the time - basic little Spartan that’s been with me through thick and thin. I still usually do whenever I leave the house, which isn’t very often these days since I’ve been working from home. Always good to ‘be prepared’, but cut up one cardboard box and the edge was almost shot. For some reason I recently got the itch to add something to my very modest collection, just a good, solid cutter that I will use regularly, so I set to researching single blade folding pocket knives. I was pretty amazed at what you can get in the $20-$30 range, but after a lot of reading, I decided I want to treat myself to something with better than stainless steel that will hold its edge longer, but won’t break the bank. As I said, I’m not a hardcore user, and cannot possibly justify dumping a few hundred or more into something that looks pretty. But I also don’t want something I’ll need to resharpen every time I open it.

I narrowed my search down to Kershaw, because even though they don’t show up on very many best knives lists, they get all great reviews by themselves. Long story short (is it already too late for that?), I decided on the Kershaw Blur S30V. I kinda preferred one of their pullback flipper blade styles, but the Blur is the most reasonably priced model (that I could find) with a higher quality steel that has the best mix of edge retention, toughness and sharpening ease. The thumb stud with assist looks easy enough to open with one hand, which should be close enough. And I just like how it looks. So I ordered one yesterday, it’s coming tomorrow.

Anyway, I’m mostly looking for info on how to best take care of this blade, and maybe share a few lies war stories and bad jokes.

I guess this is where you come to say hello to BF … so, Hello, BF.

Old fart here, just first time visiting the forum, and it looks like a nice place, so I joined. I’ve been around multi-purpose pocket knives since my first Cub Scout jack knife, and haven’t been without one since. Definitely not a hardcore user or collector by any stretch, but I like having a decent knife handy for whatever pops up. Up until now, my extensive collection consists of four Swiss Army knives, a couple of multi-tools, and one Estwing fixed-blade work knife that was part of a hatchet and knife set from God knows how long ago that rarely gets used but still has a decent edge on it. Oh yeah, and a 20” machete out in the shed.

Before this plague hit, I had one of my pocket knives on me all the time - basic little Spartan that’s been with me through thick and thin. I still usually do whenever I leave the house, which isn’t very often these days since I’ve been working from home. Always good to ‘be prepared’, but cut up one cardboard box and the edge was almost shot. For some reason I recently got the itch to add something to my very modest collection, just a good, solid cutter that I will use regularly, so I set to researching single blade folding pocket knives. I was pretty amazed at what you can get in the $20-$30 range, but after a lot of reading, I decided I want to treat myself to something with better than stainless steel that will hold its edge longer, but won’t break the bank. As I said, I’m not a hardcore user, and cannot possibly justify dumping a few hundred or more into something that looks pretty. But I also don’t want something I’ll need to resharpen every time I open it.

I narrowed my search down to Kershaw, because even though they don’t show up on very many best knives lists, they get all great reviews by themselves. Long story short (is it already too late for that?), I decided on the Kershaw Blur S30V. I kinda preferred one of their pullback flipper blade styles, but the Blur is the most reasonably priced model (that I could find) with a higher quality steel that has the best mix of edge retention, toughness and sharpening ease. The thumb stud with assist looks easy enough to open with one hand, which should be close enough. And I just like how it looks. So I ordered one yesterday, it’s coming tomorrow.

Anyway, I’m mostly looking for info on how to best take care of this blade, and maybe share a few lies war stories and bad jokes.

Welcome aboard Danny.

If you're looking for maintenance and or sharpening tips for your new knife, check the Maintenance sub-forum here- https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embelishment.794/

Feel free to start a new thread in that sub-forum, or any other, if you have any questions. There's no waiting period for new members, you can jump right in.

But just a heads up, different members take a WIDELY different attitude towards sharpening. For some it's as simple as a single sharpening hone, but for others, they REALLY get deep into it, with all kinds of equipment, stropping, mirror-polished edges, etc. But the general attitude is "Whatever works best for you is good". :)

And you sure came to the right place for bad jokes 😁 .

I figure it's about time I make a post other than replying to something in the exchange section. My name is Rick, and I am addicted to knives! My wife made me say that btw ... I wasn't really into knives as a kid or growing up, and recently turned into a knife enthusiast ... like the last 2 year :) Anyway, my buddy Andrew (Fantatic Edge) sold me my first custom knife, and I instantly fell in love with yet another expensive hobby (guns is the other). My wife says I have an addiction to expensive hobbies, but she forgets Disney trips are way more expensive than knives (we live in NW Florida). Anyway, in the last 2 years I have amassed a Pelican 1300 full of knives and getting ready to start filling a 1450. I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks (I think), and finally decided to upgrade my account simply because there is a lot of good information and nice people to help us new guys to expand our knowledge base. I'm not sure what my true purpose here is, but I am sure over the next few months I will figure something out :)

Ciao for Now,
Rick

Welcome aboard Danny.

If you're looking for maintenance and or sharpening tips for your new knife, check the Maintenance sub-forum here- https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embelishment.794/

Feel free to start a new thread in that sub-forum, or any other, if you have any questions. There's no waiting period for new members, you can jump right in.

But just a heads up, different members take a WIDELY different attitude towards sharpening. For some it's as simple as a single sharpening hone, but for others, they REALLY get deep into it, with all kinds of equipment, stropping, mirror-polished edges, etc. But the general attitude is "Whatever works best for you is good". :)

And you sure came to the right place for bad jokes 😁 .
Yeah, I’ve seen many differences of opinion on sharpening already all over the interwebz. If discussions get too out of control, I’ll just pose a question about regular vs premium gas. 🤣

I figure it's about time I make a post other than replying to something in the exchange section. My name is Rick, and I am addicted to knives! My wife made me say that btw ... I wasn't really into knives as a kid or growing up, and recently turned into a knife enthusiast ... like the last 2 year :) Anyway, my buddy Andrew (Fantatic Edge) sold me my first custom knife, and I instantly fell in love with yet another expensive hobby (guns is the other). My wife says I have an addiction to expensive hobbies, but she forgets Disney trips are way more expensive than knives (we live in NW Florida). Anyway, in the last 2 years I have amassed a Pelican 1300 full of knives and getting ready to start filling a 1450. I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks (I think), and finally decided to upgrade my account simply because there is a lot of good information and nice people to help us new guys to expand our knowledge base. I'm not sure what my true purpose here is, but I am sure over the next few months I will figure something out :)

Ciao for Now,
Rick
I’m not a collector (yet), but this place has already cost me $20 and the acquisition of another knife I hadn’t planned on., and I’ve barely been here for two hours. Yesterday I ordered myself a Kershaw Blur, which has a 3.4” blade. I grabbed it now with the intent of taking it with me on vacation next week. Someone noted in another thread that the legal limit for a concealed knife in RI is 3”. RI is where I happen to live, but I never gave it a thought to check the knife laws. Apparently I’m flouting the law if I decide to go out and about with my deadly 3.4” EDC. So what else could I do - I ordered another (much cheaper) one with a 3” blade for traveling, and my nice new Blur will have to be relegated to home use only. And hopefully my wife doesn’t see the bill for two knives.

Last edited:
I’m not a collector (yet), but this place has already cost me $20 and the acquisition of another knife I hadn’t planned on., and I’ve barely been here for two hours. Yesterday I ordered myself a Kershaw Blur, which has a 3.4” blade. I grabbed it now with the 8th ent of taking it with me on vacation next week. Someone noted in another thread that the legal limit for a concealed knife in RI is 3”. RI is where I happen to live, but I never gave it a thought to check the knife laws. Apparently I’m flouting the law if I decide to go out and about with my deadly 3.4” EDC. So what else could I do - I ordered another (much cheaper) one with a 3” blade for traveling, and my nice new Blur will have to be relegated to home use only. And hopefully my wife doesn’t see the bill for two knives.
You my friend are going to fit right in, welcome to BladeForums Danny Linguini Danny Linguini

Back