What’s the most desirable GEC?

I think a mention should be made of the GEC-made Northwoods knives. Those seem extremely desirable, if prices commanded are any indication. I don’t really understand why that is so, but …it is what it is.

Yeah, that Norfolk was pretty hot!

The best stag handled knife I own is this GEC 66 jackknife, first GEC I ever bought (about ten years ago) and have never carried, still new in the tube. I rarely see one of these for sale or displayed as an EDC. OH
GEC-661210-Burnt-Stag.jpg

GEC-661210-Jack.jpg

These three 15s have received more positive remarks as well as more inquiries on purchasing over a longer period of time than any of my other GECs. I wouldn’t be surprised if TCs and Beer Scouts are what a greater number of folks seek in the “want to buy” or “want to trade for” forums. 074C96BC-0495-4932-944D-A2302B4D7784.jpeg

I've been tempted by some of the recent Case Barlows like yours, but I can't get past the extra pin in the covers. I know they are using it to pin the covers to the liners before pinning the whole "sandwich" together, but it bugs me.

These three 15s have received more positive remarks as well as more inquiries on purchasing over a longer period of time than any of my other GECs. I wouldn’t be surprised if TCs and Beer Scouts are what a greater number of folks seek in the “want to buy” or “want to trade for” forums. View attachment 1617642
+1000 Markeologist Markeologist . I've got two of those three myself ^ ^ ^

It took me a long, long time to track them down and still on the hunt for a soup bone TC! Heck, that's half the fun...or at least that's what I'm told 😁

Last edited:
+1000. I've got two of those three myself ^ ^ ^

It took me a long, long time to track them down and still on the hunt for a soup bone TC! Heck, that's half the fun...or at least that's what I'm told 😁
Look closely at that Beer Scout, there’s only two others like it and I know one of those is with a another BF member. Would love to know if you have the third! If I had to pick a single most desirable GEC, I would pick these three Beer Scouts. Though Mr. CC’s Diamond Radio Jack would be my pick for standard production model.A41DA0A8-F649-420C-99CE-B30BFDDCD41C.jpeg

Wow Markeologist Markeologist ! Alas, I do not. I simply have the standard CK.net SFO version with sheepsfoot main. What an awesome and special one you have there!!
Oh well, now you have another grail to add to your list! Not a SFO, GEC built 10 spear point Beer Scout Knives for 2015 Rendezvous, five in smooth ivory bone, two in tortoise shell acrylic, and three in blood red sawcut bone. I know one of our fellow members has a smooth ivory spear point BSK (as well as the aforementioned member with a blood red sawcut model). All are obviously rare but there are 267 smooth ivory and 176 tortoise shell standard BSKs. Unlike those, there are only three blood red sawcut BSKs in total as that was not a standard production offering…thus my pick of these three BSKs as the most desirable GEC knives…well, now there are those Rendezvous soup bone Beerlows….

View attachment 1617932View attachment 1617928View attachment 1617931View attachment 1617929View attachment 1617930

This might be the most rare knife that I own. It does not show up on any production lists that I have been able to find, although I have not looked very hard. This color/jigging combination seem unique as well. I have seen several 73’s of this era in the Walnut color but not many in Antique. I bought it for several reasons: trappers are one of my favorite patterns, the colors in this knife are gorgeous, it is a very rare example of pretty GEC bone jigging (just my opinion of course), and it is stainless. The fact that it is a prototype might make it slightly more valuable, but doesn’t mean a heck of a lot to me.

Last edited:
I think for a lot of folks, it’s the one they can’t find, or may already have but know it’s rare. That seems to be the case no matter what Internet forum or Facebook page you’re on. Those kind are nice, but for me, not really desirable. Take the 38 Gringling for example…I’m not a fan at all. I appreciate the skill that went into it, but it does nothing for me, as I’m not a whittler. Pretty sure it wouldn’t be as desirable if it were produced in higher numbers and easier to find. I think the latest 38 helps prove that, as it’s pretty easy to obtain. Most desirable for me would be one they haven’t made yet. When/if GEC ever makes a sheepfoot 77 with pen secondary(on the correct side), that’s the one that’ll do it for me! Until then, the 15 with that configuration will do just fine.

I strongly suspect that one of the ivory-clad examples would wear the *most* desirable crown, but as far as run-of-the-mill production models go I think these two models would rate a spot in the upper tier of desirability.
E2F1AB5B-AC32-4C1D-AAC9-38871A7E7A4B.jpeg

I'd say the most desirable GEC knife these days is the one that's actually sitting on a shelf when you visit the store.

Back