What’s your favorite traditional pattern?

Dwight, I believe the Rigid was made by Friedrich Olbertz of Solingen, Germany.
It is identical to several Bulldog brand sowbellies made by Olbertz.

I'm torn, honestly. I'm a through-and-through Peanut guy, but I also love single-blade barehead jacks. Standard Peanuts in the 2 7/8" length and single-blade barehead jacks in the 3 - 3 1/4" range are my jam. I carry a Peanut everyday, but I haven't been able to get rid of my jack knives.

"Favorite" is too hard. Can narrow it down to a few: traditional American is between a full size stockman (really love my Schrade USA and my Buck 301) and a trapper (Case). Speaking of American, I really love the Bowie, but couldn't realistically carry it except hunting or camping. Also love the Buck 110 and 119. And I have fallen for the English lambsfoot--such perfect lines! I love the stiletto too--have to get a good one from Italy. Then I recently saw the Spanish folding knives from Albacete. Mama mia, what beautiful knives! No way I can pick just one favorite.

Hello, I just thought this thread could spark an interesting discussion. I haven’t posted in this section much, but I am becoming less interested in modern folders and more interested in traditionals. Anyway, I like the sowbelly pattern. Unless I am mistaken, not many companies make them. The only cutlery manufacturers I know of that make the sowbelly are Hen N Rooster, Case, Schatt and Morgan, and Rough Rider. I would like to have one made by GEC but I didn’t see one in their lineup.
I know you mean folding knives, but today I'm calling my favorite traditional pattern: Finnish leuku. This is a Roselli limited edition with silver fittings.
W2Vyh24.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
The GEC #76, Serpentine Gunstock Jack is my favorite pattern.
Mine is currently @glennbad for new covers, so I'll post an older picture...

The Krack-a-Jack version is my all-time-grail knife. Never see one for sale though. (hint hint, I know a couple of you have them) :)

Aha! So now my Rootbeer Float is one of 24 not 25 :D The Flipper Factor has now increased by 500% ;)

Quick question, what actually constitutes a "pattern"? Is it the shape of the knife or the shape and blade configuration? I like many "patterns" as I understand the term, and my favorite has changed, but the one that always interests me the most is the medium to large Cigar, in either moose or pen configuration.

Quick question, what actually constitutes a "pattern"? Is it the shape of the knife or the shape and blade configuration? I like many "patterns" as I understand the term, and my favorite has changed, but the one that always interests me the most is the medium to large Cigar, in either moose or pen configuration.
The design of the knife is what I was referring to, but yes, blade style and configuration would fall under the question as well.

Last edited:
Half whittlers, whittlers and single blade sleeveboards. I prefer having the main blade alone on one end and smaller blade(s) on the other end. This allows your index finger to grip the bare handle without that second blade sticking out.

Back