What’s your preferred folder size

3.5-4.5 is my happy range, leaning towards the higher end. My only folder that breaks this is my SpydieChef

3.3" to 4". I do enjoy larger folders, but haven't seen larger folders on-par with Cold Steel, so they've been my only >4" folders. Currently I have the Large Espada (5.5") and the 6" Ti-Lite

Depends on my environment/location. I have an olive Vic standard issue soldier on my key chain. I've never had anyone soil themselves at work, when I take it out to tighten a Philips head screw on a door lock, etc.

Good inputs. Thanks. I kind of thought there would be a higher ratio of Large size preference.

You could probably put me in the small category.

To me it's less about blade and more about handle size/ergos, I have giant hands and I need to be able to get a solid grip and control that blade, but I prefer a slightly shorter blade for better point control. As long as the handle fits my hand I look for a blade about 2.5" to 3.5", with 3" being ideal for my uses. Outside of that range I start to move over to an xacto knife or a fixed blade.

I break those rules if the design is right, it just depends on what I'm doing.

I carry two knives one is a 2-inch that I use primarily as a money clip, the other is my daily carry in the 3-inch range .

Over 4 inches. Actually my two personal favourites (Protech Brend 1 and Benchmade Bedlam) all fall into that range

3.5" is about the largest I go. Despite being 6'4" 230lbs, I don't like the extra real estate a larger knife takes up in my pocket nor do I find I need a blade larger than that. In a folder at least.

Actually, I think 3.6" is the longest blade I have folder wise.

I think 3.2~ is about the average size in my collection.

3.4”-3.5” is perfect for me.

That’s in the range of Benchmade mini crooked river, Spyderco Pm2, and spyderco swayback. Big enough to get work done without looking like a pocket sword.

I'm more of a medium.. small Sebenza, Tinker, Explorer size. Buck 112, 112 LT.
I take it the 110 And Umnumzaan are considered large? I was using overall length as a measure.

I previously was pretty fixed on a blade length of 2.75-3.25" with a modern folder. I have quite a few in this size. I call it Delica sized which is a standard to me. But last fall I moved to smalls for edc (SAKs mostly) carry for the most part with the occasional medium sized modern. I have found that in my life the smalls work well and they are super easy to carry in your pocket. I can always grab something larger if I feel it's needed, but for edc "smalls" are now where I'm at.

I also agree with something sabre cat sabre cat said about really small knives and other than something you seldom use on a key chain or some sort of backup knife, I have little use for them. I would call them "super smalls" like a Vic Classic.

I have no real preference.
If i like the knife, I carry it.
Whether its a Case Small Texas Toothpick or a Medford Marauder.
But, I live in the country and don't have to worry about knife laws.
But, and if I really had to say, I would say 3.5" or longer.

Medium category exclusively for me unless I'm in a place with a length limit, which thankfully Canada doesn't have (yet).

Small, 2.75” - 3.25”. If I need something bigger, I grab a fixed blade.

Wondering what size of FOLDER is most popular. I’ve never seen an official size metric so I used some logical (but maybe not very defendable) measurement ranges and associated size categories to them.

What size do you prefer?

Size:

2.50” - 3.25” = Small
3.30” - 4.00” = Medium
4.00” + = Large
60% medium
30% large
10% small

I like folding knives of all sizes, but the big ones are a special kind of fun.

Back