What are you watching & why? (splain)

batman-X2.jpg

Watched Dune (2021) and the original Dune (1984) last night because Dune (2021) won 6 Oscars this year for sound, film editing, original score, production design, cinematography and visual effects.

So, the new Dune MUST have been an AV marvel right? Well, I've got a 6 way surround sound system w/a subwoofer and center channel plus a 60" flat screen that I only sit about 6 feet from and I'm not so sure.

FWIW, I still like the original Dune better but the new Dune helped give background for the old Dune. That's weird but that's what it did for me.

Not doubt the new Dune has unrivaled CGI and technical achievements but the old Dune (as dated/kitcshy as it is/was) is just more entertaining. The new Dune also is only Part 1 of at least a 2 Part series. So, it's unfinished as yet.

Interestingly, the dialog/plot of the new Dune closely followed (with a few exceptions) the old Dune as far as it went. It will be interesting to see how they finish the series w/the new Dune Part 2.
Finally watched the New Dune last night on free HBO week.

Hated it for too many reasons to mention. In fact, hard to find even one good thing to say about it. Worst sin of all is that it bored me. Ok, I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson 🥰 and she was prominent. So that's one good thing.

Prolly not the best guy to give a fair appraisal. Could NOT even make it halfway through the original book and hated the 1984 film. I keep thinking I would like it all better under the influence of hallucinogens, as Herbert supposedly was when he created it.

I rate it 2/10.

Just watched "The Survivor (2022)" on HBO Max for free during the Xfinity Watchaton, which I thought was pretty good.

anBn

It got a 4 star review from RogerEbert.com, here.

It's a movie based on a true story about a Jewish Nazi concentration camp survivor who has a talent for boxing and is recuited by a Nazi offier to fight other Jews in "the ring" for the amusement of Nazi officers (and the profit of his recruiter) in order to survive. "Schindler's List" it's not.

Ben Foster (who has performed in a lot of movies mainly as a supporting actor) plays the lead. I didn't immediately recognize him because he underwent a physical transformation for the role, like DeNiro did in Raging Bull and Foster's performance certainly echoes DeNiro's.

While there is a lot of senseless brutality presented on the screen, the main point of the movie is how "The Survivor"deals with the rage and PTSD that he suffers long after he leaves the camp and makes a new life in America as a boxer, of course.

Well worth the time to watch it if you have access to it online (or later if it's ever released on DVD).

Last edited:
I recorded "The Survivor" to the DVR about a week or so back. We'll watch it one of these days when we catch up with other shows and sports.

"FROM" on Epix. 10 episodes for season one. Heard it got renewed for another season. People trapped in a small town and can't venture out at night for fear of being chomped by zombies or something like that. Free movie week from premium channels so figured I would give it a shot. Might give The Forever Purge a shot too.

Took my visiting daughter to see "Doctor Strange and the Multiverse Madness" the other day. Why? Doctor Strange is among my five favorite comic book characters, and I enjoyed the first "Doctor Strange" movie, six (!) years ago. (Fun Fact: One of my best friends as a kid was named Stephen Strange - he played first base on my little league team).

What did I think?

Serious disappointment.

The CGI was totally amazing. Visually stunning.

The plot was a total mess. So convoluted , , , and yet still somehow unimaginative. I seriously think they just made up stuff as they went along. ZERO actual suspense after the first few minutes once you realized that they were just going to come up with some new, previously-unannounced, multiverse rule to bail our heroes out of any trouble. Yawn.

I was surprised to discover in the end credits that Sam Raimi directed this mess. Then again, upon reflection, he's directed some other messes, IMO. And no movies at all in nearly a decade. But I'm not sure anyone could have done anything good with this debacle of a script.

I give it 5.5 / 10, and 3.0 of that is for the incredible visuals, and the other 2.5 of that is just for having Doctor Strange and Benedict Cummerbund in it. Like after the recently-watched "Dune," I'm left to wonder if I would have liked this movie better under the effects of LSD, or if at least I was just stoned (which is how I recommend you see this movie, if you're intent on doing so at all).

Worst. Marvel. Movie. Eveh.

Last edited:
Been watching "Bosch: Legacy", (pretty good), "Tehran", (pretty good), and "We Own This City" (pretty good).

I don't know how many liberties "We Own This City" has taken with the facts in depicting some of the characters and events...but it sickens me, as it did while I was still working in LE, to see bad cops preying on the communities they are supposed to serve and tarnishing the badge.

I've been around a few, and arrested one who got 30+ years when convicted at trial on a case I brought against him and co-conspirators.

Just received the DVD for "Uncharted" starring (so to speak) Mark Walberg and the guy from England who's name I don't really care to remember and who most recently plays Spiderman. LOL! ;)

The movie s*cks and, like all movies that I think s*ck, I removed it from my DVD player almost immediately. No further commentary required.

Uncharted_Official_Poster.jpg
Personally, I wouldn't really say it sucked. It was just a pretty formulaic action movie, with nothing that really stood out.

The acting was OK. The action was OK. For a mindless popcorn flick, I found it entertaining enough to be worth the rental (I can see why all the video stores are gone. I signed up with Redbox and my cheap ass waits for their $1 off promo emails, to go rent new BluRays for $1.05 after taxes 😂. The stores were usually $2.50 - $3.50 for BD rentals, but I still miss physical video stores. Used to frequent the closest Family Video until it closed ~2 years ago 🙁).

It was just a pretty formulaic action movie, with nothing that really stood out.

That's my definition of "s*cks'" for a movie. LOL! ;)

The acting was OK. The action was OK. For a mindless popcorn flick, I found it entertaining enough to be worth the rental (I can see why all the video stores are gone. I signed up with Redbox and my cheap ass waits for their $1 off promo emails, to go rent new BluRays for $1.05 after taxes 😂. The stores were usually $2.50 - $3.50 for BD rentals, but I still miss physical video stores. Used to frequent the closest Family Video until it closed ~2 years ago 🙁).

I get my DVDs from Netflix. Not sure if they still offer it but I am enrolled in their "up to 8 DVDs out at a time" plan wc costs around $48/mo (inc tax).

I watch about 20-25 DVDs per month; mostly new releases (after a 2-3 month delay following release) and, when there aren't enough new releases, I supplement the list w/older films to get my $'s worth.

Just received the DVD for "Uncharted" starring (so to speak) Mark Walberg and the guy from England who's name I don't really care to remember and who most recently plays Spiderman. LOL! ;)

The movie s*cks and, like all movies that I think s*ck, I removed it from my DVD player almost immediately. No further commentary required.

Uncharted_Official_Poster.jpg
Not surprised that it sucked. The reviews were not kind. I'm trying to think of one movie which I really liked which was developed from a video game. I guess I liked "Assasion's Creed" the best, and probably half of that was because I have a crush 😍 on Marion Cotillard. 🤓

However, English though he may be, Tom Holland is still easily my favorite of the three actors who have played The Spiderman, all of whom appeared together in "Spiderman: No Way Home." Which while not terrific, was still a much better MultiVerse-based movie (IMO) than "Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness." At least the plot made a helluva lot more sense to me. And the direction was impressive. I watched it before the Doctor Strange movie, thinking it would help that movie make more sense to me. It didn't. But I give it a 7 / 10.

Not surprised that it sucked. The reviews were not kind. I'm trying to think of one movie which I really liked which was developed from a video game. I guess I liked "Assasion's Creed" the best, and probably half of that was because I have a crush 😍 on Marion Cotillard. 🤓

However, English though he may be, Tom Holland is still easily my favorite of the three actors who have played The Spiderman, all of whom appeared together in "Spiderman: No Way Home." Which while not terrific, was still a much better MultiVerse-based movie (IMO) than "Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness." At least the plot made a helluva lot more sense to me. And the direction was impressive. I watched it before the Doctor Strange movie, thinking it would help that movie make more sense to me. It didn't. But I give it a 7 / 10.
Doctor strange needs to be watched after the wandavision, loki and what if series on Disney plus it helps connect things a bit

I watched Uncharted also an it was meh

I think my favorite video game movie was hitman

Back