What are you watching & why? (splain)

Have been binge watching a lot of movies & TV shows recently.

Won't bore you w/a "review" of all of them but I enjoyed Chris Pine in "The Contractor" which IMO is an action/double cross film worth mentioning.

SyZwaWQ9QXBp

And I was finally able to watch the final season (Season 3) of "A Discovery of Witches" instead of waiting indefinitely for it to come out on DVD or being forced to sign up for a trial 7 day membership w/AMC+ (which I then would have to cancel) to watch it. :)

I enjoyed the entire series because it was "different" (involving witches, vampires and magic) but it did become a bit tedious at times.

The ending was "predictable" and a bit disappointing because I wanted more revenge violence (LOL!) but I was committed to finishing it regardless, already having invested the time and getting "hooked" watching Seasons 1 & 2.

YSZwaWQ9QXBp

Last edited:
In just 2 days, I binge watched all 10 episodes of Season 1 of "Picard," which was a series that I've wanted to see since it was 1st announced several years ago.

OTB4MzAyLnBuZw

While I don't consider myself a "Trekie," I have watched many (but certainly not all) of the original series and its various sequeals over the years. I found them all enjoyable for the most part.

However, I always liked "Star Trek: The Next Generation" better than the original Star Trek and all of the other Star Trek tv spinoffs that have been created.

Piccard" is a great followup to "Next Generation" There are just enough flashbacks to "Next Generation" to give "Picard" context and enough "new stuff" to make it unique and entertaining in its own right.

I'm looking forward to binge watching all of Season 2 next. :)

Update:

I already "quick" watched all 10 episodes of Season 2 of "Picard" and I was very dissapointed. Season 1 was definitely better.

I was disappointed because they brought back "Q" in the 1st episode and rather than limiting his involvement to "messing w/Picard's head" to just 1-2 episodes, as was the case in "The Next Generation," his mischief extended thru and wasn't resolved until episode 10.

They also brought back the bodyless Borg Queen, who I thought was killed in the Next Gen movie "First Contact" but I wasn't as bothered by her return as I was w/Q's because she's a much more interesting (and potentially deadly) character. They also did an interesting twist w/her character that was worth watching but overall I didn't think I missed much by "quick" watching the season.

You can actually "get it" all by just watching the 1st and 10th episodes; the rest is just filler.

I hope that Season 3 (which is supposed to be released in 2023) is better.

Last edited:
Just finished Stranger Things Season 4 with the family. I really enjoyed the first part of the season. They did a really great job with the sound mix. Lots of bass and Atmos overhead effects. On a related note, it's funny to see my kids with a lot of the 80's songs on replay right now. Especially Running Up That Hill.

Can't wait until the last episodes come out next month.

Just finished Stranger Things Season 4 with the family. I really enjoyed the first part of the season. They did a really great job with the sound mix. Lots of bass and Atmos overhead effects. On a related note, it's funny to see my kids with a lot of the 80's songs on replay right now. Especially Running Up That Hill.

I’ve had Running Up That Hill stuck in my head since ~Monday night. Really enjoying this season.

Also watching Bosch: Legacy which is basically more of the original series if you enjoyed that.

Looking forward to season 3 of The Boys starting tomorrow.

I'm waiting for the last episode to drop before starting it.

Top Gun “Maverick” round two tonight lol, yes I liked it that much. Went to the $5.00 movie night and saw Smokey & the Bandit on the big screen !!!! That was fun as I was too young when it originally came out.

My friend watched it twice too. I may not wait for the 4K Blu-ray and see it on the big screen.

Yeah I couldn’t wait , had to see on the big screen at Cinemark XD. This go around just the big screen no XD , was sold out. I’ll just say imo it’s totally worth going to see !! First time in awhile that I heard the whole audience cheering and at the end everyone was clapping like crazy , including me. I mean it’s nuts cause I was in high school when Top Gun came out.

Top Gun “Maverick” round two tonight lol, yes I liked it that much. Went to the $5.00 movie night and saw Smokey & the Bandit on the big screen !!!! That was fun as I was too young when it originally came out.
We took our 13 year old son to see Top Gun last night. Everyone enjoyed it. No dull spots in 2 hours. Definitely worth the big screen.

Started watching the Beatles documentary "Get Back" shot in Jan 1969, which was released in 3 Episodes on the Disney Channel earlier this year.

However, I found the studio sessions so boring that I just skipped ahead to the "concert" at the end of Episode 3, which took place on the roof top of the Apple Studios in London on 01/30/1969.

The "concert" was very entertaining, even though it only lasted about 40 mins. They just did multiple takes of a limited number of songs, including "Let it Be" and "Get Back" and then got shut down by humorless Brits who complained about the "noise" and the similarly humorless "bobbies" who acted upon those complaints.

LOL! 🤷‍♂️

MjAwXy5qcGc

SyZwaWQ9QXBp

A couple of the takes were included in the Beatles' last album "Let it Be."

LTMyMjQ4Mi5qcGc

I'm going to listen to that album now and may take another shot at watching the rest of the documentary later. :)

BTW, "Get Back" was preceded by a documentary using far less of the same footage called "Let it Be" which was released on VHS in 1970 at the same time as the album. The word is that "Let it Be" (the documentary) will soon be re-released on DVD but . . .

if you want to watch it NOW!, you can find it: here.

I just took a quick look at it and the audio/video production values on it are vastly inferior to "Get Back." Also "Let is Be" is only 2 hrs long vs 6 hrs for "Get Back."

Does "Get Back" need to be 6 hrs long? I don't think so but it provides greater detail/context than "Let it Be" does and, if you're not interested in that much info, you can just skip around/ahead like I did.

So, the one to watch, if you have access to it, is "Get Back" but, if you don't have access to it, you can get the gist of what went on by watching "Let it Be" instead.

Last edited:
Just saw "Top Gun: Maverick" on a big screen while killing time while one of my cars was in the shop.

Not IMAX but it was still very good. The sound system vibrated the seats each time the jets accelerated. Very cool!

Still plan to try to watch it on IMAX b4 it goes off screen.

Last edited:
I watched Top Gun: Maverick on non-IMax as my province's only IMax theatre does not offer Hollywood movies, unfortunately. It was still absolutely worth the watch. Best movie I've seen in a very long time. The Nostalgia, humor, and real jets was worth the price of admission.

I am taking the family out this evening to see the new Jurassic World flick. Nothing really compares to the very first Jurassic Park but I've enjoyed the more recent films and it will be good to see the old gang back together.

Aside from that, we are slowly meandering our way through Stranger Things. I have already seen through Season 3 but the family hasn't yet, so we are progressing through, watching a couple of episodes a night as time allows. We will probably be ready to dive into the new season by the end of next week.

I am taking the family out this evening to see the new Jurassic World flick. Nothing really compares to the very first Jurassic Park but I've enjoyed the more recent films and it will be good to see the old gang back together.

Following up on this: The new Jurassic flick is fun, never a dull moment really. It sticks with familiar tropes and even though there will likely be some "Oof, you really went there" moments, it was by and large a fine action movie. Some nice nostalgic moments for those who remember the original Jurassic Park.

The critics have shredded it but I am of the opinion that film critics secretly hate life and experience very little joy so they can go suck it. Watch it for the ridiculous film it is and have fun.

Just watched a documentary on Prime Video called "The Wrecking Crew (2008)" which chronicles the work of a stable of "studio" musicians who provided the background tracks for some of he greatest R&R, R&B and popular music of the 1960's for singers/groups such as (in no particular order) the . . .

Beach Boys, The Monkees, Sonny & Cher, The Mamas & The Papas, The Byrds, Nat King Cole, Frank and Nancy Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis, Sam Cooke, Captain & Tennille, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Jan & Dean, The Everly Brothers, The 5th Dimension, The Righteous Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel, The Byrds, The Association and Glen Campbell (who was himself a studio musician before he became a solo singing "star").

eDEwMjQuanBn

No point naming them here because their names won't mean anything to most people but these musicans were in great demand by the studios, producers and artists during this time period -- before the named artists started playing/arranging their own music -- because they could sight read music and improvise lines on the fly and who had a lot to do with "writing" the arrangements for a lot of iconic songs for which they never received credit.

Definitely worth watching if you are/were a fan of the music of the 60's. You'll be amazed at how much work these musician did behind the scenes and, if you thought some of the musicians sounded familiar on a variety of different tracks recorded by different artists, this is the reason why. LOL! ;)

The documentary is also available on DVD.

Last edited:
Back