What are you watching & why? (splain)

Soapish? Maybe a tad with one or two specific plot elements although I don’t think they are stretched out or ridiculously overdone.

Woke I don’t really get as a criticism unless it just means “anything that isn’t exclusively about straight white men is woke.” There are a few plot lines that use female, gay, or non-white characters and their experiences as part of the larger story and how it reflects on real and alternative historical events but I thought they were interesting and engaging and relevant to the series as a whole, not forced or shoehorned in.
That's fine. I've had gay, non-white and alternative lifestyle friends since at least the 1960's...so I'm not offended easily by the choices of others.

I am, however, offended by having agendas rammed down or up either of my main orifices, to which I do take exception.

So, anything that flows naturally from the story line is okay with me...anything resembling an excuse to pontificate by shoving it into the story for no other reason...not so much.

I read some reviews on imdb which gave me pause...however, not knowing the reviewers or their biases, it is difficult to evaluate their level of nincompoopcy. (Did I just coin a term?)

I do try to restrict my reading reviews to those who at least can articulate their positions with some level of intelligence.

Different strokes for different folks . . .

I'm not as critical of "Obi Wan Kenobi" as you are because I really don't take this kind of "entertainment" all that seriously.

It's not great but it's not awful either but it captured and sustained my interest enough for me to want to continue to watch it.

If a movie/TV series fails in this regard, I turn it off w/in just a few minutes.

"Yellowstone" is an example of that for me as far as TV shows go. I actually gave it 3 tries and found it numbingly boring each time.

An "old" movie I that couldn't bear to watch was "Falling Down (1993)" which people in another thread say they loved and a recent movie that I couldn't bear to watch all the way thru was "Licorice Pizza (2022)" which I thought was a very odd movie that I thought was pointless.

Again, different strokes for different folks. ;)

BTW, I'm getting set to watch the Marvel Comics series "Hawkeye" next.
I liked "Hawkeye" a lot. My favorite Marvel series on Disney+ so far.

I'm not as critical of "Obi Wan Kenobi" as you are because I really don't take this kind of "entertainment" all that seriously.

It's not great but it's not awful either but it captured and sustained my interest enough for me to want to continue to watch it.

If a movie/TV series fails in this regard, I turn it off w/in just a few minutes.

"Yellowstone" is an example of that for me as far as TV shows go. I actually gave it 3 tries and found it numbingly boring each time.

An "old" movie I that couldn't bear to watch was "Falling Down (1993)" which people in another thread say they loved and a recent movie that I couldn't bear to watch all the way thru was "Licorice Pizza (2022)" which I thought was a very odd movie that I thought was pointless.

Again, different strokes for different folks. ;)

BTW, I'm getting set to watch the Marvel Comics series "Hawkeye" next.
I thought hawkeye was decent along with moon knight

I think loki has been my favorite Disney+ marvel series

Another note watching the korean series kingdom again

Damn I love this series lol

Before I get to "Hawkeye," I just finished watching the 1st 2 episodes of a new TV series on FX that's called "The Old Man."

the-old-man-serie-fx-750x420.jpg

It stars Jeff Bridges who plays Dan Chase an ex-CIA operative who was and still is a cold blooded killer who has been "underground" for years but circumstances have developed which have caused certain people in the "Agency" to flush him out and to attempt to eliminate him in order to cover up "old secrets."

Obviously, since Jeff's the star of the show, Dan survives and chaos ensues.

iu

The things that I love about the show so far:

1) Dan kills with impunity. No hesitation. No chit chat. No racking a semi auto that should already be loaded before shooting someone. Just bang bang.
2) Dan's 2 rotweillers. Totally obedient and dedicated to Dan, who will come w/a whistle and attack w/a whisper.
3) Dan "gets some" w/o asking for any from a woman at least 20 yrs younger than he is.

That's good enough for this "old man." I just hope the subsequent episodes are as good as the 1st 2. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Just watched the 1st episode of "Hawkeye" and my 1st question was the last line of the episode spoken by Hawkeye: "And, who the hell are you?"

Hawkeye-1-1.jpg

Who the heck is the girl who takes up 90% of the time in the 1st episode and why the heck is she even in a show called "Hawkeye?" Frankly, I nearly turned it off before I saw Renner sitting in the audience of the Marvel Hero's Musical again wondering WFT is going on?

I'll give it another chance but, right now, I'm NOT impressed. :(

Update: Just finished watching Episode 2 of "Hawkeye." Very disappointing. I think it's a stupid show and I'm done w/it.

Going to try "Loki" next.

Last edited:
Ok, just watched the 1st episode of "Loki" and it's WAY better than "Hawkeye."

Loki-840x480.jpg

It started off a bit wonky but got better which makes me optimistic for the remainder of the season's episodes. At least it's actually as show about Loki and not about some "barely post pubscent, rich girl, superhero wanna be" which is what "Hawkeye" seems to be all about.

Loki gets captured by the TVA (not the Tennessee Valley Authority but the Time Variance Authority) in charge of maintaining the "time line" which is kinda like how the "Adjustment Bureau" (in the movie of the same name) is supposed to insure that things "happen" over time the way they're "supposed" to happen."

Loki's powers don't work at the TVA, he doesn't believe that they can have such power over him and he goes thru the 5 stages of grief (ala Kubler-Ross) in dealing w/his situation -- denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance -- which leads him to the realization that he has no choice but to cooperate.

Turns out the TVA has a "plan" to use Loki to fix a problem with another variant of Loki that they are having. So, this is a much more interesting and ingenious plot twist that was sorely needed but is lacking in "Hawkeye."

Now I'm off to do some "real world" stuff like attend a fancy/expensive wine tasting in Livermore Valley and look for some live dungeness crab (even though it's out of season) as a gift to myself for Father's Day. Will opt 4 some king crab which is available at Costco if I can't find any dungeness.

Happy Father's Day (in advance) to all the other fathers out there. :)

Update 06/20/2022:

I just finished watching the 6th and last episode of Season 1 of "Loki" and, while it was "entertaining," it was difficullt to follow as well as swallow.

I went to the trouble to study the plot of each episode and it is tediously complex.

Only a true Marvel geek could remember and follow all of the intricate details of the story. For me it was basically "The Adjustment Bureau," mixed w/"The Matrix" and then topped off w/the "Wizard of Oz," but unfortunately Dotty does NOT get to go home. Home doesn't exist anymore because the control mechanism has been distroyed and there are potentionally infinite versions of home out there now. And so it goes.

The final episode was obviously a set up for Season 2, if there is one and there probably will be one. I'll probably watch it too, just for continunity but IMO the series will only suceed if they can reign in the chaos and disorder and yet still link to to the other parts of the franchise including the Avengers and Dr. Strange.

We'll see . . .

In the meantime, I'm going to start watching "Dopesick."

Last edited:
Just watched the 1st episode of "Hawkeye" and my 1st question was the last line of the episode spoken by Hawkeye: "And, who the hell are you?"

Who the heck is the girl who takes up 90% of the time in the 1st episode and why the heck is she even in a show called "Hawkeye?" Frankly, I nearly turned it off before I saw Renner sitting in the audience of the Marvel Hero's Musical again wondering WFT is going on?

I'll give it another chance but, right now, I'm NOT impressed. :(

Update: Just finished watching Episode 2 of "Hawkeye." Very disappointing. I think it's a stupid show and I'm done w/it.

Going to try "Loki" next.

I'm not as critical of "Hawkeye" as you are because I really don't take this kind of "entertainment" all that seriously.

Still watching "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds." This week's episode was my favorite so far. So much more creative and entertaining than "Obi Wan," IMO.

Mostly though, in addition to the USFL, I've been watching a lot of documentaries. "The Secrets of Quantum Physics" was pretty good - not great. I liked "The Lost Gardens of Babylon" better. "The Story of Egypt" and "A History of Eastern Europe" even better than that. I found "A History of Eastern Europe" particularly interesting in light of the war between Russia and Ukraine. And "Everything and Nothing" is the best one I've seen lately. Really good, IMO.

I wish Newton Minnow had lived to see today.

The movie

Shang-Chi_and_the_Legend_of_the_Ten_Rings_poster.jpeg

I have mixed feelings about "Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings"

It was entertaining and it's nice to see a movie where Asian characters are actually played by Asian actors/actresses BUT then again "Shang Chi" perpetuates the one-dimensional image of the Asian male in the movies as a martial arts "master" along the lines of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Chow-yun Fat.

But, in this case, Shang Chi becomes an Asian super-hero (provided he has the rings), which I guess is progress. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Back