What are you watching & why? (splain)

Shang-Chi_and_the_Legend_of_the_Ten_Rings_poster.jpeg

I have mixed feelings about "Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings"

It was entertaining and it's nice to see a movie where Asian characters are actually played by Asian actors/actresses BUT then again "Shang Chi" perpetuates the one-dimensional image of the Asian male in the movies as a martial arts "master" along the lines of Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Chow-yun Fat.

But, in this case, Shang Chi becomes an Asian super-hero (provided he has the rings), which I guess is progress. LOL! ;)
Couldn't agree more , and the guys who developed him actually used Bruce Lee as an idea for the character

Here's another new TV show that I reviewed in another thread but thought it also deserved to be mentioned here.

It's not exactly a "western" but "Dark Winds" that just premiered on Prime/AMC (not AMC+) is set in the west on Navajo reservation lands.

darkwinds11.png

I really liked the 1st episode and hope that the following episodes are as good.

The show is based on the characters created by Tony Hillerman (deceased) in his series of detective murder/mystery novels; many of which I have read, which is probably why I like the show (so far).

The primary characters are both Navajo policemen born on the reservation. Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Deputy Jim Chee (who in this series is also set up as an undercover FBI agent). Leaphorn and Chee are opposites that play off each other and learn to trust/rely on each other over time in the books.

It's just a question of how the script writers further develop the characters and the plot over the length of the series.

So, far it seems true to the tone of the novels, which gave the reader initimate insights into the life and perspective of the Navajo people in the context of a well written and gripping murder/mystery.

The visual landscapes of the high mt desert (probably northern New Mexico) and of Monument Valley (which stradles the NW border between AZ & UT) in the show are also visually stunning and immediately reminded me why I love traveling to and spending time in that part of the country.

Worth a look if any of this sounds at all interesting to you.

PS: I just watched Episode 2 on a pirate channel and it IS as good as the 1st! :)

Yeah, Westworld is back after a 2 year hiatus. Got hooked on it and watched Seasons 1-3 while I was subscribing to HBO in order to watch GoT.

iu

Episode 1 of Season 4 just aired a few days ago.

Not an HBO subscriber anymore but I already watched it and it doesn't offer much; just lays the groundwork for the coming season which finds at least 3 escaped androids - Dolores, Maeve & The Gunfighter - loose in the "real world" while William ("The Man In Black"), who may now be an android himself, apparently is still obsessed w/finding Maeve (and presumably Dolores too).

To what end is still unknown but he starts off Season 4 where he left off in Season 3 by killing or having people killed in order to discover some secret that he thinks was hidden in Westworld when it was created. Not sure what was left of the Westworld (after Season 3) but, even if it's "gone," that's not stopping William from his "mission" whatever it is.

I'm going to have to rewatch all or some parts of Seasons 1-3 to get back up to speed with this very complicated show.

Last edited:
Finished season 3 of the Umbrella Academy. I enjoyed it, but liked the previous seasons a lot more.

Decided to give the first episode of Banshee a try and I'm liking it so far. A lot of Cinemax series that I missed and can finally catch up on with HBO Max. I did watch the entire Warrior series on Cinemax right before it went away.

I'm also in the process of ripping my entire Bluray/Ultra HD collection to a NAS. So I've been testing the files by watching the entire movie. Watched Big Trouble In Little China and The Big Hit last night. Love both of those movies.

Finished season 3 of the Umbrella Academy. I enjoyed it, but liked the previous seasons a lot more.

Decided to give the first episode of Banshee a try and I'm liking it so far. A lot of Cinemax series that I missed and can finally catch up on with HBO Max. I did watch the entire Warrior series on Cinemax right before it went away.

I'm also in the process of ripping my entire Bluray/Ultra HD collection to a NAS. So I've been testing the files by watching the entire movie. Watched Big Trouble In Little China and The Big Hit last night. Love both of those movies.

A lot of banshee was filmed right here in Mooresville. Jo and I watched the show just to see our town. That's largely Mooresville. We recognize all the roads and buildings although some of it is out of context on the show. It's trippy.

A lot of banshee was filmed right here in Mooresville. Jo and I watched the show just to see our town. That's largely Mooresville. We recognize all the roads and buildings although some of it is out of context on the show. It's trippy.
Working on a project near Apex, and figure I will be visiting the site at some point. Will have to try to make it over your way for a visit, if you'll have me. The first time I saw you post Mooresville, I was stoked thinking it was Morrisville, which is right near RDU.

Thought I'd post these 2 threads which list an huge number of shows that you can watch on Hulu, HBO, Prime and Netflix.

The 58 Best TV Shows On Hulu To Watch Right Now (June 2022)

Also included in this link are a list of: "The 57 Best TV Shows On HBO Max To Watch Right Now (June 2022)" AND "The 42 Best Movies To Watch On Hulu Right Now (June 2022)" AND "The 42 Best TV Shows To Watch on Amazon Prime Video Right Now (June 2022)" plus

The Best 64 Shows To Watch On Netflix Right Now (June 2022)

It's an overwhelming abundance of video content. I bookmarked at least 20 shows that I've never seen and am interested in watching. If I watch even 1/2 of them I'm going to suffer a binge coma. LOL! ;)

I just started watching "Star Trek: Discovery" and there are 4 seasons of that to watch. So, I'm going to be busy watching that show for awhile, unless/until it becomes less interesting to me than it currently is. Lots of options if/when that time comes. :)

Last edited:
We had some power issues when we blew up our transformer this week. Sadly, our TV was a casualty. The shop and my house are on different services, but we are fed from the same transformer.

"Stranger things" just dropped today and Jo and I can't watch it...

Don't get me wrong. I'm super stoked that my machining centers survived. I had four on and three were in a cut when it happened (might be why it happened). This could have been catastrophic. So yeah, a vacuum pump and a television and maybe a couple other little things here and there,

But damn man. My TV. And stranger things drops today. fuc.

Yeah, Westworld is back after a 2 year hiatus. Got hooked on it and watched Seasons 1-3 while I was subscribing to HBO in order to watch GoT.

iu

Episode 1 of Season 4 just aired a few days ago.

Not an HBO subscriber anymore but I already watched it and it doesn't offer much; just lays the groundwork for the coming season which finds at least 3 escaped androids - Dolores, Maeve & The Gunfighter - loose in the "real world" while William ("The Man In Black"), who may now be an android himself, apparently is still obsessed w/finding Maeve (and presumably Dolores too).

To what end is still unknown but he starts off Season 4 where he left off in Season 3 by killing or having people killed in order to discover some secret that he thinks was hidden in Westworld when it was created. Not sure what was left of the Westworld (after Season 3) but, even if it's "gone," that's not stopping William from his "mission" whatever it is.

I'm going to have to rewatch all or some parts of Seasons 1-3 to get back up to speed with this very complicated show.
I'm thinking Westworld may be a documentary. (*_*)

Never checked out "Stranger Things". Not my usual genre...but maybe I'll give it a look next time I activate Netflix...(I think Fauda is coming soon).

Couldn't get into the HBO version of Westworld. Maybe we didn't give it enough of a chance.

I think tonight , hopefully will give The terminal list a try on Amazon prime.
West world I’ll need to catch up on. I guess I’ll add stranger things to watch list.

Got to see My bloody valentine on the big screen like a month back. That filled the horror slot for awhile lol.

I think tonight , hopefully will give The terminal list a try on Amazon prime.

Just watched the 1st 2 episodes of "The Terminal List" this afternoon and I liked it.

Still trying to find out where the "list" is but a great primer on mobile device comms security is provided in the episode.

Every episode in the season is available to watch now. So, "Star Trek: Discovery" that I just started watching will have to wait.

Also watched the 4th episode of "The Old Man" last night and it's still good too. Still loving the pair of rottweilers but Dan should never have "kidnapped" that woman to save her life.

"No good deed goes unpunished." LOL!

Update: The start of "The Terminal List" is revealed at the end of episode 3. The show should be called "The Kill List" and, I assume, the list is going to grow continually (if not exponentially) thru the end of the season with episode 8.

Last edited:
Back