What are your dirty little knife secrets

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by longbeachguy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SilverFoxKnows

SilverFoxKnows

Sep 25, 2002
    1. I distrust the Axis lock. I don't know why. It's not a rational thing. And I really like the look of the yellow mini-grip with the hole. Just can't bring myself to buy one. Maybe someday.

2. I think it's silly to put a knife in a vice and beat on it with a sledgehammer.

3. I don't like AO. But that has more to do with my city laws being really vague with regard to "spring knives".

4. I carry one of two Boker slip joints every day. And they're both in delrin instead of stag or bone.

5. Scandi grind doesn't do it for me.

6. I am not an expert sharpener. Working sharp I can do, freaky sharp is beyond me.

Frank

2. Armadew

Armadew Reisloafer

Nov 22, 2006
    Me, too actually. I did have one that failed, though.

3. IVANKERLEY

IVANKERLEY

May 30, 2007
    dont know how dirty mine are but here are a few...
    1) Dont like knives with holes in the blades...
    2) Dont like graphics all over the blades...
    3) Dont trust locks of any kind...
    4) I can sharpen to serviceable, cant yet consistantly get that WOW sharp, and it doesnt bother me a whole lot.
    5) Could care less about most of the designer steels that get alot of discussion.
    6) I like all 3 of my gerbers
    7) Dont like companies with excessively macho, badass marketing;)
    8) Still fuzzy on alot of the different grinds
    9) Dont get Benchmade at all
    10) I like yeller handle knives:D

ivan

4. YayILikePie

YayILikePie

Apr 19, 2007
    -I used to own a Cold Steel Urban Pal
    -I've sharpened a knife on sidewalk concrete before
    -When I first got my Benchmade Dejavoo, I was stupid enough to use the tip as a screwdriver and snapped some of it off

5. avidknifeusersf

avidknifeusersf

Mar 12, 2007
    I like bright knives.

I'm slowly getting rid of all my manly/tactical knives in nice earthy tones and replacing them with bright yellow, orange and red knives... its not like i have poor vision or anything I'm only 26.

Its only a matter of time before I pick up a pink knife... 'for my girlfriend...'

6. I own thousands of dollars worth of customs....I carry an Opinel...:eek:

7. Billbo66

Billbo66

Nov 19, 2008
    I secretly regard my heavy, rubber scaled Buck 279 as one of my favorite knives- even though it lacks pedigree and high price.

While my RAT RC-6 is a favorite, I find smaller blades more useful. I often have to "try" to find a reason to use it.

I struggle to understand the Busse culture, but covet an AD or GW.

8. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Same here sadly. I'm 21 and i've been looking at a pink knife for the gf. Maybe a grip or something. I do sit well on black knives but own a red kershaw blur.

9. Orozcov

Orozcov

Nov 15, 2000
    After several years of SAK usage I jumped to the Rambo/tactical trend and bought a spine serrated knife. Bad investment. I´m looking for an excuse to break it or grind the serrations off, get rid of the handle and make a small utility knife that hopefully will see some real use.

But that´s not my only dirty secret: At the time I joined BF I used to drool at Masters of Defense and Strider Knives... fortunately pragmatism lead me to the Leatherman and Spyderco paths.

Regards.

Jaime Orozco.

10. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Here's some of my knife secrets.

- I watch Tom O'Dell's Cutlery Corner Network ( but I've never bought anything .. I swear)

- About 6 years ago, my boss had a small Sebenza shipped to the office. He told me to open the package and when I saw the $90.00 invoice I thought it was too much money for such a plain little knife ( the bill was for non-warranty work).

- Around the same time he also ordered something from Spyderco and I actually told him I would help him pick out a better knife next time.

-Two and three blade slippies are more useful ( to me)than tactical knives, but I can't stop buying tacticals. (An invisible force draws me to them).

- I mostly carry a cheap stockman knife and tend to leave the expensive knives home.

- I have bought cheap flea market knives that I've liked.

- My wife recently found my secret knife stash , so I guess it's not a secret anymore. :)

11. sticf

sticf

Jan 21, 2009
    1. I have never owned a Case or Queen.
    2. I have never purchased a knife for my kitchen. All were gifts from non knife people.
    3. I have never gotten a knife "hair spliting" sharp. I stop at "easy shave".

STICF

12. nokia

nokia

Sep 3, 2007
    I used a bench grinder to sharpen a number of my knives.
    I made a knife out of a putty knife and use it more than I use the knife in my pocket (in the yard and for dirty work.)
    Guilty of ordering a knife from HSN and used the knife until the locktite let go and the blade broke while trimming down a steak (that you stick in the ground) while at work one day.
    I can only sharpen a knife to shaving sharp.

13. orca8589

orca8589

Jan 27, 2007
    Sissy.

:D

- Actually, all of my slipjoints are in a nice old Nat Sherman green-velvet lined cigar box. My friends laugh, especially 'cause they know I've never smoked anything in my life, but that box is perfect for my "honeys".

- All my kitchen knives are dull. My wife has complained for years that I'll get out my Buck 110 or my big ol' Stockman for kitchen work, but her knives won't cut anything.

- One of my favorite knives is a beat up "ol' Smokey" Pakistan knife, got for $5 at a garage sale. I like it. It's huge, useless, and fun to take out to the yard and hack stuff up with. ;)

thx - cpr

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  14. Relayer

Relayer

Feb 21, 2002
    I've got a large hankering for a new slipjoint that is completely capable, but I want one with a shiny blade(s) that will be more for the pure pleasure of having and admiring it rather than using it. I plan to carry it often for just that purpose.

Most of my knives usually get more "play" time than "real use" time. When bored I'll get them out and play and fumble around for quite a while (often, till I get a little nick, then I'll put it back in my pocket).

15. nmb

nmb

Sep 1, 2008
    I think of myself as a knife knut, but I only own four knives...a plain-jane Leek is the most expensive one. And the real secret is: I think I could get by with half as many (one slipjoint, one locking folder). Ouch.

16. quinque voces

quinque voces

Oct 18, 2005
    I bought two traditional lockbacks recently, a Northwood Swinguard and a Winchester made by Queen Cutlery, and although both have visible defects that would have bothered me to no end in a Spyderco or Benchmade folder I find myself liking them. I must be getting old.

I also bought two cheap customs which both came with burnt tips and again I didn't mind because design and ergos of these knives are really stunning.

17. Edgeman7

Edgeman7

May 28, 2006
    OK, I confess, I'm the one that took my Dad's SAK out of the old box on his dresser- Brought it to summer camp with me- Broke the tip off the main blade trying to carve a fallen tree- And quietly put it back in his box when I got home- That was back in '75- Just as an aside, my Dad gave me a SAK for Christmas years later- And my son broke the tip off the Main blade the very next day- What goes around. . .

18. Morales

Morales

Apr 27, 2007
    One of my darkest secrets would be that I joined the Cold Steel forum...yes, I did it! :D

19. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    I own a bunch of Busse knife, but they really only shine to me as choppers. For my slicers I use Fehrmans.

20. Entreri

Entreri

Aug 29, 2008
    I think most damascus is ugly...