What are your dirty little knife secrets

my favorite knife of all time is a no name china cheapy
the best quality knife i've ever owned was a cold steel ti-lite
i've been able to sharpen with nothing but a stone since i was seven :)

I used to prefer CE.

I edc my cheapest knives because I can't bear to beat my expensive ones.

I don't really want a sebenza.

I have some very nice top end Spyderco's, Benchmade's and Emersons,that are my pride and joy. But..
The secret knife that I really really like, is a SOG :eek: Spec Elite 1
It's kind of cross, between a Benchmade and Emerson on welfare.
Great knife,feels solid in hand,the lock works smooth as silk,and the blade is VG 10

I paid 40 bucks for a camillus Pilot's knife. What a dope!!!

Nothing wrong with that. I use one as my hiking knife. The spine serrations are a joke, and the edge from the factory was visbly dull. But after thinning it down about 75%, it makes a great little knife.

$40 was a bit much though. I think I paid $25 for mine.

Whenever I am asked if I have a knife on me (I EDC a BM Rukus), I am always tempted to quote Cleavon Little from Blazing Saddles, "Pardon me while I whip this out." .... always. That scene runs through my head every single time I have to pull that knife out of my pocket.

Hi Fargus, the Rukus is a very nice knife (I have one myself) but how do you carry on an everyday basis? Just curious, since to me it's a bit too big for the pocket.

When I was younger I bought a Smith & Wesson folder. In my blissful ignorance I thought it was a pretty good knife, and then I was introduced to quality knives like Spydercos and Benchmades. It was a revelation. I drawered the S&W, and started carrying better stuff.

The thing is, I've never gotten rid of that Smith & Wesson folder. Even though it's a piece of crap, I just don't like the idea of throwing a perfectly serviceable knife away. Add to that the fact that it never really failed me and I can't justify chucking it. So I've kept it. I still use it sometimes...to cut sandpaper. :D

You didn't expect me to use my Sebenza for that did you?

My most loved and used knife, is my Buck 309 Companion. Has been since 1977

I also love, a Maxam plastic handled linerlock, my mom bought at an auction. She asked me if i wanted it,(i didn't but took it anyway). I have beat it and tried to break. 4years later, i can't put it away.

I bought a Victorinox Pioneer. I went back to carying My Victorinox Tinker.

I can't call them SAKs, and i can't call them VICs.

I paid $49 for my Ontario Pilot knife and i do not regret it (since i re-profiled it with a file)

I sharpen everything with stones and a crock stick.

I think Buck makes the best slip-joint pocketknives in the world (especially BEFORE they dropped the long pull and blade swedge.)

I like Buck's steel.

I never came to like the Buck 110/112

I like delrin better than stag, on slip-joints

I love my Buck 309 Companion so well, i have a spare. I love it so much i bought a Buck 309 Lancer, so it could have a little brother.

As much as I've tried to convince myself the Sebenza is the ultimate folder... I still like my Buck/Mayo TNT more than I do my small wood inlaid Sebenza.

OK, I like Case knives and they are a great old American knife company but I think they have almost become the "Beanie Baby" of knife world. If someone farts they'll make a commerative in six patterns and there are "collectors" who would proudly add the "fart knife" to their collection.

I oversharpen knives. (I know there are others out there that know what I mean :D )

I keep buying Buck 110's and I keep giving them away. Good solid knives but they're just too damn heavy.

I bought a Walmart Spyderco Native, 2 years ago. It is an excellent knife, i will never love it. Gotta have a more traditional syle blade

Want to replace the Native with a Buck 442, but they are going for too many dollars on the bay.

I bid for a Schrade Apex Large Hunter, hopin it will be similiar to the Buck 442, but loads cheaper.

I prefer factory knives to most customs. There are exceptions though.

I own several Cold Steel products and enjoy all of them.

I don't care for many of the popular brands many recommend.

I spend way to much time sharpening.

I enjoy cheap knives like Moras more than many high dollar knives.

I don't need a super steel for most tasks that I perform.

I've spent close to $3,000 on knives in the past six months.

I have some higher end stuff, a SMF, Ultratech, nice collection of Militaries.

The secrets: My kitchen knives are so cheap the "STAINLESS CHINA" stamp on the tang has rust in it. Those knives absoluetly refuse to take any form of edge. :(

I buy used knives so I don't feel guilty about dirtying them up.

I really never liked the Sebenza. Steel twinky. ;)

I can't sharpen a convex edge.

Last edited:
My "collection" consists of about 25 knives. 1 Buck (110), 1 Spyderco (Love my Tenacious), 5 Gerbers, 1 Benchmade, and 2 Case (One Brand new that I just had to have and an old one that is broken when I'd love to have fixed if I could). All the rest of my collection came from flea markets, garage sales, antique stores, and old trunks I found at different family places. The majority of those knives are: Ulster, Imperial Schrade, Imperial, and a bunch of little Kamp King pocket knives. I find them, clean them up a little and see if I can make them look cool.
My dirtiest secret: My favorite even over my Buck, Spyderco, and Benchmade is my Imperial Schrade Old Timer 50T.
Not sure if that's really a "dirty" knife secret, but there ya go.
Gray

Back