What did you carry while deployed?

Iam currently deployed to Afghanistan and was wondering what some of our vets carried while overseas???? I have my complete knife collection out here with me, but I usually only carry my spyderco blacked out military in my pocket, and my Izula 2 on my vest.

I carried a Gerber multi tool on my pistol holster (Army issue) and a Gerber Gator. I was on a tank crew, so we didn't hump tac vests and LBE's often. Too big of a knife just got in the way inside the turret. We did have a HUGE SOG Seal Pup lashed on the outside of the tank if it was "needed". We found it in Ft Erwin (NTC) and it was part of the crew ever since! LOL!

I carried a Gerber multi tool on my pistol holster (Army issue) and a Gerber Gator. I was on a tank crew, so we didn't hump tac vests and LBE's often. Too big of a knife just got in the way inside the turret. We did have a HUGE SOG Seal Pup lashed on the outside of the tank if it was "needed". We found it in Ft Erwin (NTC) and it was part of the crew ever since! LOL!

hahahah funny story my section sgt actually lost his seal pup at ntc.

For folders I started out with a Gerber Magnum, Spyderco Endura and Gerber multi-tools. For fixed blades I start out with a Camillus AF Survival Knife.

When I left ten years later I was carrying an Emerson Commander and a Leatherman, in the field I was carrying a Boker Applegate Fairbairn.

Im a mechanic and use my leatherman charge often. We were issued gerbers but I can't stand them, especially the screw drivers which are just useless. The charge is by far the best multi tool I've ever used.

hell ya a fellow 19d. ya my gerber tool is beyond jacked up right now. I snapped the file off completely when i tried to open the door hinge on a battle damaged rg31.

hell ya a fellow 19d. ya my gerber tool is beyond jacked up right now. I snapped the file off completely when i tried to open the door hinge on a battle damaged rg31.

Lol.....DX it and use a tank bar next time! If you're around any Cannucks, they have an awesome axe/prybar/knife tool you could probably trade something for. It's kinda like a Spax on steroids. Stay safe!

I carried my trusty (and at the time, expendable) Schrade 885UH stockman, and a Buck M9 bayonet.

I have seen a bunch of sf guys on my fob carrying spartan blades. makes me want one lol.

I took a bunch of knives, whatever was the best Gerber mutitool being sold in 2002, tomahawk, and a Sharpmaker.

Most used knives were an Spyderco Endura and Cold Steel Voyager that were both from the 90's.

Taking the Sharpmaker, and offering free sharpening during down time - I always got to look over well over hundred knives and few hawks from other guys. Good chance to see what holds up short and long term and what comes back dull as hell a few days later.

ya i got my sharpmaker here and touch up alot of knives with it. the 1sgt makes me touch his blades up every 2 weeks lol

You are a smart man :) After you all make it back home, you might be able to do what I did and contact a manufacturer for a group buy with a very nice discount. Can check out new goodies and help some new guys gear up.

I was a mechanic, I carried a bucklite and a leatherman. By the time I got out they were both ready to be retired.

Back