What did you carry while deployed?

I was USMC infantry. I carried my issued bayonet on my vest and usually the cheapest folder I could find in my pocket. Marine grunts are some of the biggest thieves on the planet. I went through CRKT, Gerber, Winchester, no name brands. We usually ended up spray painting our gear desert tan.

The only Multitool I was issued was a Leatherman Squirt of all things, and that wasn't really issued. It was a promontional thing for LM. Our unit had to have our picture taken with everyone holding our squirts up.

About 6 months before I got out, they started issuing the Gerber 06 Military to our Corpsman. Had to hustle a guy in supply to get my hands on it, but I EDCd that bad boy for another 2 years after I got out. Everyone bad mouths Gerber, but that blade was one hell of a knife.

Not a deployment, but when I did training in Germany I carried my small Vic Tinker in a belt carabiner, an Alox Bantam in my wallet, and an XL CS Voyager in my lower right leg pocket or back right pocket. For no good reason, really. :D
The biggest use any of them got was using the SAKs' blades to saw through DFAC food.

My upstairs neighbor carried this in Iraq. Benchmade. Obviously got used to do more than kill camel spiders from the looks of it.

iraq_knife.jpg

While on active duty over twenty years I went threw a lot of knives but the most used or carried knife I had was a Benchmade AFCK and then a Stryker. Also, I always had a Leatherman or Gerber multi tool.

Be safe and thank you for your service! Get home soon.

i used a gerber multitool till the can opener snapped off. then i went gerber gator, lost it. on to spyderco endura and a victorinox champion which i used 99.8% of the time

My upstairs neighbor carried this in Iraq. Benchmade. Obviously got used to do more than kill camel spiders from the looks of it.

iraq_knife.jpg

I hate those things. Watching one eat is like a scene out of Aliens. And they are all over the place here.

I was USMC infantry. I carried my issued bayonet on my vest and usually the cheapest folder I could find in my pocket. Marine grunts are some of the biggest thieves on the planet. I went through CRKT, Gerber, Winchester, no name brands. We usually ended up spray painting our gear desert tan.

The only Multitool I was issued was a Leatherman Squirt of all things, and that wasn't really issued. It was a promontional thing for LM. Our unit had to have our picture taken with everyone holding our squirts up.

About 6 months before I got out, they started issuing the Gerber 06 Military to our Corpsman. Had to hustle a guy in supply to get my hands on it, but I EDCd that bad boy for another 2 years after I got out. Everyone bad mouths Gerber, but that blade was one hell of a knife.

I know our chopper pilots here get issued some spring assisted gerber (not sure which model) they are required to wear them on their flight suits. So they cant be all bad lol

I know our chopper pilots here get issued some spring assisted gerber (not sure which model) they are required to wear them on their flight suits. So they cant be all bad lol

You weren't issued an automatic? Either BM or Gerber? We got BM in the first issue and then Gerber in the next RFI.

I carried a gerber mk2 and a swiss army knife, really don't remember what model it was 30yrs ago.

Spyderco serrated Endura and an Leatherman (don't remember which one).

1999-2004 82nd AB.

camiluss cuda,DPX hest, millatary, sometimes a kabar kukuri Mutli tool leather man super tool 300

Like you i brought my collection to

Carried a combination of folders:

Spyderco CE Delica > Benchmade CQC-7 > Emerson CQC-7

Always kept a Spyderco Remote Release on my right LBE strap.

Fixed blades:

Al Mar Warrior (on my 1st field exercise, got made fun of too) > Camillus? Ka Bar (Broke the tip) > Ontario Pilots Knife

Multi-Tool:

The good old Gerber that would pinch the f--k out of your palm when it slipped. Mine was a gift from my girlfriend (now wife) and it was even in black.

Later I got a SOG multi-tool that had my name engraved on it. Sadly I forgot about it in my hunting gear, in my truckbox, that leaked. :(

First trip to Bosnia in '96, I took a USAF pilot's survival knife, Leatherman, Gerber Gator, and BM Mini AFCK. While there, I ordered a Becker Campanion. Next trip to Bosnia in '99, took CS SRK, Leatherman, and Mini AFCK.

Microtech D/A Sodom. I was infantry.

Back