What did you rehang today?

Nice looking tools. It looks like the hatchet in the top photo might have had some damage to the poll. How did you do such a good job squaring it up? I've tried doing similar repairs. Files take forever and my angle grinder leaves circular scratches that I don't like.

I use an angle grinder with a high grit (80-120 i think) flap sander pad. I blend it in with a wire wheel.

I'll try the flap sander. I was kind of wondering how they would work.

Is that what you use for your banana grind?

AA&T Co. boys axe. Found this V&B handle (labeled as from Walnut ridge, AR) at a local Do-it-best hardware store. nice look, thin as I've seen them. People rave about house handle but there are other sources of handles out there, especially boys axe handles.

Jon

Any idea what the DB weighs? My book says they were made between 3 and 7 pounds. That could be one of the heavier models. I'm guessing Western or Pennsylvania pattern based on the fairly straight line across the top of the axe head.

Bb it only weighs 3.5 lb ish. Maybe 4 but that would be a stretch. Maybe I'll borrow a scale this weekend to get the total weight.

Jon

Everybody has seen the video, but there's a book called " An Ax to grind". It has some great illustrations about different patterns, plus a boatload of other good info. Try. http://fsweb.mtdc.wo.fs.fed.us. If you can get a copy, I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

Husqvarna Carpenters Axe

408FA5AC-EAF0-41B8-8D07-AC9E7FFB53A9-1291-0000029BB9B5489A_zpsf5fa8127.jpg

DA188EA2-B16B-46E0-B6BE-A235F469F324-1291-0000029BC318B6F1_zpsbf54cc70.jpg

This started out as a cheap easy prototype to decide what length haft should I make for this thing.
I think it's spruce. It was a 2x4x8 from homeworld labeled kiln dried whitewood.

I like it alot... It's so light that I can one hand it to chop or carve just as easy or easier than the 19"er it had on it stock.

It's now 29" long from the top of the eye, and the balance point is pretty much at the same spot.

I might brush some PC Petrifier on it to harden it up. Anyone used it before? Looked at Lowes, I need to check Ace hardware.

Edit; It's a practice/prototype haft, I have 4 hours and $2.89 in it so far. I don't at all expect it to last unless I baby it and I likely won't.

Last edited:
Where I come from, whitewood is tulip, or tulip-poplar. Grows fast, but breaks in the wind and has to start over often. Counts as a hardwood.

Idle I think that looks good as a practice for fitting and balance. Good job on the shape and wedge too. But that wood won't hold up to serious chopping.

this is the ongoing project I have been playing with
gotta the saw tomorrow to cut off the excess from the top there
sand the whole thing over again, got some clear coat urethane
I'm going to cover the WHOLE hing in, kind of liking this stuff
looks like its flea market tomorrow
eg1DZd8.jpg

Here's one I just finished. It was in pretty good shape to start with. I didn't have to do much to the axe head. The haft took a few hours. I started with an Ames handle that was a little too fat for my taste. I used the spokeshave and rasps to shape it into an octagonal shape.

RN0odnd.jpg

BVudeph.jpg

CViqWu1.jpg

0y9hy8O.jpg

EHuxXLC.jpg

EKL0XMg.jpg

Fantastic!

Nice edge on a top notch axe. And the handle is well done, too. How do you like that grip ring near the swell?

Tom and Chris

Thanks for looking. I cut the grip ring in because the swell wasn't very pronounced on this handle. It's really more of a hand locator than anything. The handle was getting pretty thin after cutting it octagonal and I didn't want it to get too thin. I like to try different things. I'll let you know how I like it after it's been used a little. Thanks again for the comments.

If you guys ever see something that could be done better, please give me some hints. That's why I joined BladeForums, to get better at restoring vintage tools.

Later.

Sweet!!! Like the detail on the butt of the handle.

Thanks TARFU'D. I'm pretty proud of this one. I've had the head for a while, trying to think how I wanted to hang it. The octagonal handle feels pretty good in the hand.

Back