What did you rehang today?

I re-hung my True Temper A6 today. The head is a little rough so I'll keep this one for a user. It has a very hard bit and a hardened poll, too. I put it on a 32" straight octagonal handle. It will be used for chopping, bucking and juggling, maybe a little splitting.

A6-2.jpg

A6-3.jpg

Square Peg, I have a head that has an A and a 6 (or maybe a 9?) that is boys axe size. Are those just true tempers that used to have a sticker instead of a true temper stamp?

Also, dig the octagon handle on that one :)

Jon

Got an old Collins boys axe head from my parents. Painted it red, then sanded most of the paint off except in the logo and the pits (it was really pitted). Sharpened it up, and rehung it on a House Boys Axe handle. The eye was MUCH smaller than the wood on the handle, so it took a lot more time than I was expecting. I think I'll paint all of the really pitted ones that I re-hang, I personally like the look. :D

Square Peg, I have a head that has an A and a 6 (or maybe a 9?) that is boys axe size.

This one is a full size 3-1/2 pound axe.

Also, dig the octagon handle on that one :)

Thanks! They're a little hard to find, 32" straight handles. This one got the spoke shave treatment and then 3 coats of BLO followed by 4 coats of tung oil. It makes a nice finish. Interestingly, I got this haft and another like it and both came without the kerf cut. I really that. It lets me cut it straight down the middle. And I also liked that there was no kerf to pinch closed while fitting the haft to an eye with ridges in it. It made the process easier.

Nice what did you do to clean up the head?

Sam, I usually clean them up with a belt sander and a bucket of water to keep it cool to the touch, to make sure I don't mess up the temper.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Also, I got an old Craftsman hatchet that had a nail instead of a wedge. I pulled the nail out, and made a wedge for it (out of pine... makes me wish i had something else around). Anyway it's super tight now. Original handle looks pretty good with some BLO on it.

TF, I actually took this picture in front of my garage for you.... You're welcome.

Pine Wedge...

....an old Craftsman hatchet that had a nail instead of a wedge. I pulled the nail out, and made a wedge for it (out of pine... makes me wish i had something else around).

Pine beats the heck out of an old nail. I think it'll be fine now. And I like the geometry (high centerline) of that little Craftsman hatchet.

A friend brought a True Temper Kelley Works Flint Edge to me at work and asked if I would hang it for him. He had a handle from the local Farmers store so I said I would love to.
9434683381_20a11d4160_z.jpg

9437459708_2beca1ae57_z.jpg

Sorry for the blurry bad phone pics, I took them to text my friend. The handle was short of reaching the front of the eye so I carved a wedge of poplar to fill the gap prior to installing the wedge.

Chris

Nothing special. Just a good working axe. The previous owner hammered it on and off with a steel hammer. I made a few repairs to the top of the eye.

28RDBKl.jpg

TC89Tcc.jpg

Nice looking double!! Have people never heard of copper hammers??? Short of that a wooden mallet from a stick of wood is easy enough to make.

Bill

Some people just don't know how to hang an axe or use one for that matter. I kind of enjoy repairing the damage others have done. I use a wooden mallet I picked up cheap at a second hand store to fit and hang axes.

The one thing I hate repairing is when the bit of an axe has hit a rock and you get that little hard spot that a file skips right over. How do you guys handle that? The Falls City had a couple of those.

The one thing I hate repairing is when the bit of an axe has hit a rock and you get that little hard spot that a file skips right over. How do you guys handle that?

Change they way you're filing - change the pressure or speed or angle of the file toward the edge. Or get a sharper file. You can almost always find a way to get through that little tough spot. Last resort is abrasives, by hand or machine (carefully).

This past weekend I hung this Kelly Flint Edge cruiser. I just started to learn how to do this, so I'm pleased how it turned out. I've got it pretty sharp, and I'm hoping to see how well it works this coming weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how to get images to load correctly...we'll see if this works.

Attachments

• image_zpsaa880216.jpg
    image_zpsaa880216.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 54
Back