What did you rehang today?

That turned out great Coop :)

Pegs... Those handles are sweet :cool:

I've got to get off my butt and get some axes hung myself.
I've got heads and handles...

It's sad really :(

I've gotten a couple of axes recently, but they all have hafts.

And to top it off...
I've got some really SWEET heads ;)

True Temper "Worlds Finest" Pulaski.
Was able to re-use the original handle.
tumblr_mnukgeO2no1r2ttnqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnukgeO2no1r2ttnqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnukgeO2no1r2ttnqo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnukgeO2no1r2ttnqo3_1280.jpg

Sweet sledge A Visitor.

Hung this no name boy's axe. It has ribs in the eye so it might be a Kelly. It also looked like it was painted red. It's for my great uncle who is 96. Hung it on a 28" boys axe handle from O.P. link. They seem to be pretty good.

Kelly wood slasher I believe. Found this one at a garage sale this week end. It had never been sharpened. I didn't do much just nocked off a little rust,sharpened and rehung on the original handle.
001.JPG

Previously mentioned TT KATCO, same handle (after some straightening, we'll see how it holds up). I wasn't sure about taking the edge all the way back for the big chip. I'm guessing that if I don't, the metal could crack there right? What if I smoothed out the chip only? Also one of my better handle fits, except for the fact that I can't make up my mind whether it's upside down or not.

I would clean out he chip and leave it. It will sharpen out in a few years and shouldn`t hurt anything. Looks great by the way.

No-name 3½ lb double bit. New user & abuser

tumblr_mo9icmNmRc1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mo9iqqJQKc1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

It was pitted and mushroomed to all hell so I took a layer off the surface with a belt sander and blue'd it
tumblr_mo9imfYM6i1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mo9jl0Qhbq1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

Hung it on a 30" octagon, final length was 28.5"
tumblr_mo9j55vIFj1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

Tested it on a dead oak limb and it passed. (head didn't budge and it kept a decent edge)
tumblr_mo9ixpnXEL1r2ttnqo1_500.jpg

Sweeet!

It's amazing how much life there is left in/under some of the really banged up axe heads. If there are not cracks and the eye is not deformed, they can be brought back into really nice condition, although you may lose a couple ounces of overall weight.

First ever hang on this one, a new carpentry axe from Sweden. It has an ash wood handle sent up to me from down in France very dense hard, must be worked carefully with the sharpest tools because of the rowed grain but gives excellent result.

Look, I cut into a small hidden flaw, melted some shellac in there and sanded, hoping it will hold.

E.DB.

A beautiful axe E.DB. , Very nice. That flaw is like a mole on a womans cheek... Not a flaw at all.

A week ago this was a $2 garage sale find fire fighters axe head (only) and it had a broken point at the rear of the head. Finished it up today.

A week ago this was a $2 garage sale find fire fighters axe head (only) and it had a broken point at the rear of the head. Finished it up today.

Did you have to repair the break.. or just grind it back to a symmetrical shape? Paint job looks good!

Back