What did you rehang today?

This are not from today - but over the last week. All hafts from House Handle:

#1) 2 1/4 LB GBA Boy's Axe - 28" haft. This one was pretty beat up. I needed to do some special work to take out the mushrooming and straighten the eye.

016_zps2d428805.jpg

017_zpsd762b046.jpg

019_zps7a1c829c.jpg

#2) 2 1/4 Pound GAB Boy's Axe - 28" haft. This needed some work as well and the bit is thinner than most - but makes an awesome user - especially for limbing.

048_zps362354ce.jpg

049_zps8259ebc2.jpg

050_zps8c10317d.jpg

#3) Plumb - 2 LB Hatchet on 14" haft.

033_zpscfd1a3b4.jpg

034_zpsf13353ff.jpg

035_zpsf25b8419.jpg

#4) Collins Boy Scout Hatchet. No logo - but the same size as a standard BSA. 14" haft:

029_zps8df15f7f.jpg

030_zpsc697f93e.jpg

031_zps0db0c0d0.jpg

032_zps436bf780.jpg

#5) Plumb BSA Hatchet with hammer poll. Modified 14" haft.

027_zpsed2fdb5c.jpg

026_zpsa5a27f9d.jpg

#6) Plumb BSA Hatchet - 14" haft.

025_zps72b4aad2.jpg

024_zps290f15d9.jpg

#7) Plumb 3 1/4 Pound Axe - 33" haft.

022_zpsd6b94c37.jpg

021_zpsf4614d25.jpg

020_zps35c3a907.jpg

TF

Joe - I find this to be true of their non octagonals. I spend a lot of time evening up the fawns foot and the cheeks on my hafts...

TF

It could well be that I am just seeing things, things presented by the imprecision inherent in posting up home made pictures, and I hope that is the case but in the spirit of maybe offering some constructive criticism with the best of intention I make the following observations, in case #1 and #4 there seems to be some misalignment at hand which has come about because of either a twist in the handle or an unequal amount of wood removed from the cheeks of the inserted portion during the fitting.

E.DB.

EDB:

Hah! I think you have hit the nail on the head.

House Handle has had cheeks that were uneven - and VERY large. In fact, I altered these cheeks to even them out. I am VERY VERY careful about hanging them straight on the haft - no twist - no angle - however - I have been reticent to take material off the cheeks. I think I have thought these were made by some sort of magical pattern that could not be altered. What I realize now is that they have way too much cheek and fawns foot so that everyone has enough material make it yours.

TF

House's octagons are often misshapen. For me the challenge is always making the haft symmetrical while leaving as much swell as possible. I don't like small swells.

I hung this 5 pound Norlund last week. I re-used the original handle and refinished it with BLO and tung oil.

Norlund%201.jpg

How long is that handle...I have a similar Norlund camp axe head, not the Hudson, that I am modifying....Next is the haft.

Nice hang! Where did you get the handle and did you burn the handle yourself?

Handle House Model 1630AA octagon option. I did burn it myself, but I do it when I am impregnating the wood with a mixture of waxes, tung/linseed/teak oil. I heat the handle slightly then rub on a thick coat. Let dry and heat again and coat...heat...coat...heat..coat. Pretty soon you have a tacky but smooth finish and flame tempered hickory too. It is similar to what they did here in the Redwoods for the handle on falling axes.

It's 34-1/2". Probably started out as a 35" before hanging.

I will be having one made for my Norlund head in the old scroll knob style...thinking 30-32"

Oh that octagon handle of mine is a House Handle and it is very straight and clean.

This is a 4 lb Collins double bit I hung on a 28" house handle. I don't have a before pic but it was in rough shape... Heavy rust, pitting, and extensive mushrooming on the top edge. I cold blued then lightly sanded for the patina.

Yeah, it's definitely becoming one of my new favorites. :thumbup:
okh- Nice job on that jersey, too. That wax/oil/flame temper method is a cool idea.

I was told about it and didnt have the right stuff to make it so I mad a potion of the stuff I had...its why there is three different oils in it...But it works.

I was told about it and didnt have the right stuff to make it so I mad a potion of the stuff I had...its why there is three different oils in it...But it works.

I use bee's wax with my BLO on the last coat and then on future coats. Sometimes I will seal around the head and end grain with just the bee's wax also. I came upon a good supple of pure bee's wax so I am set there. If anyone has trouble finding bee's wax the wax ring for toilets was bee's wax last I knew. Not pure and a bit softer but it should work well enough.
I melt my wax into the oil, use caution.

EDB:

Hah! I think you have hit the nail on the head.

House Handle has had cheeks that were uneven - and VERY large. In fact, I altered these cheeks to even them out. I am VERY VERY careful about hanging them straight on the haft - no twist - no angle - however - I have been reticent to take material off the cheeks. I think I have thought these were made by some sort of magical pattern that could not be altered. What I realize now is that they have way too much cheek and fawns foot so that everyone has enough material make it yours.

TF

More than enough is right. I guess better than not enough.
002.JPG

It doesn't take long to make the fawns foot to my liking, they are to thick every where for me. Not a huge issue but if they made handles like the vintage ones I would not have to bother.

A Hoe and a carpenters hammer. Both with House Handle hickory and the hammer was also one of their octagonal handles; kind of like that!

Catching up on documenting some recent works. This is probably the more interesting two thirds of what I've got hung lately... Some need a little more touching up but I needed a break from rasping and filing and sanding :) If it would ever stop raining I'd take some better pictures outside.

IMG_2750.jpg

6.5 pound(!) Kelly World's Finest and a WC Kelly Rockaway on what was a beefy old straight handle that I cut off, reshaped and put just a bit of curve into.

IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

AmericanAx Jersey and a Plumb hatchet.

IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2754.jpg
4 pound unmarked (but for the weight) Maine pattern and an R King hatchet.

Last edited:
IMG_2756.jpg
IMG_2758.jpg
Four pound Flint Edge Jersey that belonged to my father in law on an old handle salvaged from another axe, and an unmarked old Jersey with a slightly softer shape.

IMG_2759.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg
4.5 pound Flint Edge Connecticut, and an R King Connecticut that's about 3.5.

IMG_2761.jpg
Old John King boy's axe (can't remember if I posted pictures of this before) and a Kelly Woodslasher boy's axe.

Back