What did you rehang today?

Yes sir, it's a Red Devil paint scraper. One handy tool for shaping, and removing file marks from handles. They are also the fastest way I've found to remove lacquer from new handles. I keep a file handy to sharpen the blades every once in a while or when they get dull.

And they leave clean lines when you're octagonalizing a handle. Just watch your grains.

The rusty, pitted, mushroomed poll, pre permabond Plumb boys axe that followed me home yesterday.
You did an exquisite job of this quinton! I also see you got tempted into using vertical grain. Very few of us will ever be able to render a premium haft from a tree that grew behind the work shop.

Well after 2 days of telling myself I was done with the handle and then going back and thinning it some more I decided it was time to give it a finish sanding and cut out some wedges. A good wipe with some BLO, some time shrinking down the wedge and cutting just a hair off the top of the eye and it's hung.
20180423_161226.jpg

Well after 2 days of telling myself I was done with the handle and then going back and thinning it some more I decided it was time to give it a finish sanding and cut out some wedges. A good wipe with some BLO, some time shrinking down the wedge and cutting just a hair off the top of the eye and it's hung.
20180423_161226.jpg

That Grove Tool Works and haft are looking great.

How is the steel? I have yet to get into my newest acquisition from NYC:cool::thumbsup:

That Grove Tool Works and haft are looking great.

How is the steel? I have yet to get into my newest acquisition from NYC:cool::thumbsup:
Not sure, I split a chunk of firewood with it and it just blasted right through. Unless I take a file perpendicular to the head to straighten out the curve It shouldn't take too much to sharpen it. It's not a terrible edge right now, I'll probably just go at it a little here and a little there over the next week or two. I'll let you know but I like it already. LOL Now it's onto the Plumb Shingling hatchet and Collins double with a file handle every once in a while.

And they leave clean lines when you're octagonalizing a handle. Just watch your grains.
I don't have any issues going against the grain with a scrapper. But then again I don't use a paint scrapper, I wouldn't have thought it would be much different.

I seem to be on a bit of a roll. This is a Plumb Anchor shingling hatchet if I'm not mistaken (and if I am mistaken please correct me) that had a nasty beat up old handle with 15, yeah FIFTEEN nails in the eye. I decided to try an octagonal handle with this guy and while the grain was PERFECT on this one the kerf I think was cut a bit too deep as I had to keep on working it down the eye just to get the head down past it. I may not know much about this all but I'm pretty sure that having the kerf exposed below the head is probably not the way to go. Once I got the head where I was as happy with it as I was likely to get I turned to cleaning up the handle. Nothing major, just smoothing the shoulder and evening out a few flats and the knob end. It didn't seem to take much linseed oil but I'll keep at it.
20180424_150012.jpg

So there are a couple knots in the knob, I'll live. I trimmed the eye at the top about a half inch, not as evenly as I'd have liked but overall I'm happy with it. In the saw/axe drawer I found a pair of coping saws with a package of blades I used. How old are the blades? Well the price printed on the sleeve is 8₵. I doubt I'd be able to find anything half as good today at ten times the price. That's it for today though barring a methfueled rush job on the Collins double bit I'm working on (no, I'd never do woodwork on meth that'd turn out about as well as running a marathon in corduroy pants I suspect).

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to rehabs this massive 4lb Jersey Woodslasher! It is the original handle that I set about a half inch lower. I’m excited to get it sharpened and go throw some chips!!!
I guess so! In my lifetime I've never had the opportunity to wield one of these and needless to say am jealous. This pattern (along with Connecticut's) has one of the more generous (and therefore most durable) eye/haft surface areas of all axes. I figure the vast (and daunting) expanse of mature hardwood forest that strapping Eastern lads were having to tangle with 150+ years ago led to the development of these. Swinging a classic Jersey (less so a modern replica) has to be a real 'time machine' experience for anyone seeking to savour the experience of using a 'wonderful' axe.

Last edited:

This is the handle from that Stanley and it fit great. Had to take a small amount off the tongue to get the head down a hair more. I am pretty damn happy with this hang! I will probably set that wedge a little deeper tomorrow.
Looks good, Brian..

How do you like that paint scraper?

It actually works really well! I saw JB I think maybe one of the other regulars post one and so I used it. But honestly I like the box blade blades better. You can use it with one hand and with that paint scraper I had to put the handle in a vice. Maybe after I use it a while I could with one hand but as of reason get now the blade is my go to.

It actually works really well! I saw JB I think maybe one of the other regulars post one and so I used it. But honestly I like the box blade blades better. You can use it with one hand and with that paint scraper I had to put the handle in a vice. Maybe after I use it a while I could with one hand but as of reason get now the blade is my go to.
You probably need to sharpen the paint scraper. When the blades are sharp, they will make frog hair, one handed with no pressure at all. A scraper is my go to tool for tweaking the final shape, and removing rasp marks.

that reminds me of my great great uncle sonny, he invents southernisms all the time and by far his most memorable quote was "finer'n frog hair split three ways sittin on a log"

I would really like to use this, and quote your uncle each time...if I may?
Not sure when or how I am going to fit that into conversation but I am going to try at every turn.
I have my annual checkup tomorrow, maybe I can work it in with the nurse taking my vitals lol!
Or not...:cool::D

I would really like to use this, and quote your uncle each time...if I may?
Not sure when or how I am going to fit that into conversation but I am going to try at every turn.
I have my annual checkup tomorrow, maybe I can work it in with the nurse taking my vitals lol!
Or not...:cool::D
man i dont care! use it as you want

Back