What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Miller is there a year stamped under the poll of your Emery Waterhouse?
    The date on mine is backwards from the way E&S stamped it. That's about the only clue I have so I figured I'd ask.
    Edit; i thought i would include these photos of one of my Emerson Stevens axes. It has a somewhat similar mark that I hadn't seen before.. 1559995218185778970787914968638.jpg 15599952478085186565463281522004.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  2. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Cleaned these up a little.Used the cut double bit today burning brush and liked it a lot.Hatchet says artisan To 14 and the hammer is unmarked.1 3/4 m hatchet on a 17 inch handle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Those Artisans are in the same type of oval that was used on some Craftsman single oval stamps. I've always wondered if they were related.

Fmont, garry3 and A17 like this.
  4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Maybe so because I have seen Artisans that are spitting images of Vaughan's and I have always associated them with Vaughan. I think Artisan was a Gambel's brand.
    Can't remember where any of that came from so don't ask me back it up. ;)

5. Fmont

Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    I think Gambles was a store, and I'd wager Vaughan made given what you guys are saying. At least some of them.

A17 likes this.
  6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes, Gambel's was a a hardware store, some became Western Auto I think. Not sure any are left.

A17 and Fmont like this.
  7. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    No, sadly if it was stamped, it's gone now.
    What a beauty

Yankee Josh likes this.
  8. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    2.5 lbs E&S on an 28 inch handle I made from an ash stave. I went up to northern Maine over the weekend to open my uncle’s camp and do some fishing. One of the tasks is to clear the shoreline of driftwood, It was a nice test for the handle. Still need to fine tune it a bit then oil.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Travbud1

Travbud1

Aug 7, 2015
    I've had this head and handle sitting for a few months now, teasing me every time I'd walk past my workbench. Finally was able to spend some time sharpening and hanging my first cruiser!
    [​IMG]
    It's a True Temper Vulcan, weighing in at 2lb 8oz right on the nose.
    [​IMG]
    The handle I purchased used from local used tool dealer, it's has a bit of overstrike damage but nothing too bad, plenty of meat left at the shoulder for a solid hang all the way around. It is nice and slim. Grain is completely horizontal which i am not too concerned about. If it breaks, it breaks! It ended up at 27" overall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone recognize the 281 mark? I can see some faint lettering underneath the other words but nothing legible.
    [​IMG]
    I'm real happy with how it all came together. This one will eventually be getting a nice leather sheath, as soon as I can find some time that is. My wife and I have a 4 month old son and as I'm sure many of you can attest to, free time is essentially non existent at the moment! Wouldn't trade it for the world though!

10. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Looks awesome @Travbud1

Time well spent for yourself...helps you recharge a little bit to reciprocate, allowing your wife a little free recharge time too.
    Congratulations man!

Yankee Josh and Travbud1 like this.
  11. Curt Hal

Curt Hal Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Jj

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  12. disduster

disduster Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    this past winter i hung this no name axe-eye 8lb maul on a 28 inch straight handle, didn't care much for it, seemed a tad short. Picked up a 32 inch racing axe handle from baileys. Hung it this past week looks good feels good, gonna have to wait till i get some rounds to see if it performs how'd i'd like it to. It's about 3 inches longer in the hung handle then the other one. The handle was really thick and roughly finished (intentionally i believe) still might take the overall girth down a bit. Racing maul? ha ha
    [​IMG]image by Ian Hockensmith, on Flickr

13. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    I like the looks of that!

Fmont likes this.
  14. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Back on the original handle.Wedges were driven in,kerf was not sawed.Left the wedges proud for the winter just in case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

garry3, cityofthesouth, Fmont and 6 others like this.
  15. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Looks great! I love Victory's and that one is a real beauty. Cross wedge looks great, good idea about leaving proud, I've had a few here and there needing a little reminder where they belong.

16. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    That's beautiful! Really great shape that one.

Fmont, junkenstien and Miller '72 like this.
  17. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    My project this past week.
    Happy fathers day to me for limbs and such

Back in January I received these 3 from JB

[​IMG]

Then in April I obtained this one with a few other great items from JB

[​IMG]

I decided the heads needed to be swapped due to weight and handle length feel/balance.

The head to hang on the handle shown above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I found this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 1/8lbs
    Connie...old boy...
    22 1/2" straight (oak?)

The head that originally came on the straight haft...future project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.seaux, garry3, disduster and 8 others like this.
  18. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I appreciate your craftsmanship in retoring those but I think those might not be worth the effort. The one with the failing forge weld has likely lost the last of its high carbon steel. The chipping pattern on the 2nd one suggests a bad heat treat. Your considerable skills might be better used on less used axes.

I say this as much for the benefit of the forum as for your benefit. I like to pick my battles.

disduster, A17, junkenstien and 3 others like this.
  19. junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Did you take all the hard steel off?Love that old straight handle looks good.

Fmont, Yankee Josh and Miller '72 like this.
  20. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    That haft is definitely oak! I don't think any other American wood has such strong rays. Could be wrong but I haven't seen it. Great job man I can tell you put a ton of work into them! I do agree with SP though. I've learned to save my energy for ones that have a lot of life left.
    You must've run into the spot where the dissimilar steels met. Is that what you think? I've never seen that before! Interesting...