What Did You Sharpen Today?

resharpened my cheap Berndes chef knife (with RRS, 1 stage only) in order to halve the expensivish original 3M Post-It Notes "Made in USA with globally sourced materials" [locally 9.50€ for the 12×100 pack 38x51mm²; for comparison, CN-made sticky notes "memo sheets" cost like 0.99€ for the 4×100 pack 75x75mm²]. went thru like butter 😉 but i didn't get the perpendicular cutting angle right, shame on the kresil 🥲
bdk5v.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite little fixed blade was in dire need of attention. 3 inch blade made of MagnaCut at 64-65Rc. 1000 grit diamond stone, stropped with 1 micron diamond on hard smooth leather. Took a little while to reset the bevel, I'd stropped it far too many times out of laziness.

i-JfQPXcH-L.jpg

I'm liking this small Fallkniven CC4 stone, sharpened up my SAK Pioneer X blade, CC4 whetstone consists of a superfine ceramic stone (white side) and a ceramic side made of synthetic sapphires (dark gray)

very cleanly sliced down through soft paper towel

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

see it here on Knife Center page

Recommend this stone for quick touch ups followed by stropping
G2

sharpened a STIHL chain saw chain today. first time, kinda. did it with a Ø4.0mm cylindrical ruby instead of my original Ø4.5mm or Ø4.8mm STIHL files (each is 2.60€ MSRP noice). I was wondering about the tolerances (clearance) of the depth limiter hook part so i ground that part down with a dremel lol. the teeth are sharp and shiny now, no deburring or stropping was needed. i'll learn tomorrow if i messed up the functionality of the chain and how the teeth hold up, fingers crossed!

took me all day long, very time-inefficient with such a fine stone (a new chain costs like 16€ afaik) but as the master sharpener in da house 😉 i wanted to go thru this experience (as a reference point), and see the ruby sharpening result. i certainly overdid it, so next time i woht waste time again but use those cheap coarse original files instead ah whatever.

I bought a work sharp ken onion edition power sharpener. So to give it a whirl I sharpened all my personal kitchen knives. I followed the guide that came with it. All knives came out paper cutting sharp. Win win!!

Spyderco Z-Cut in BD1N and Victorinox's Moomin kitchen set - serrated and p/e paring knives.

The Z-cut is thinner, longer, more curve, and more flexible. The Vics are thicker. Why is the Inox taking such a sharp, sharp edge from the white Sharpmaker stones? The BD1N is sharp, but does not glide through paper like either one of the Vics. Side-note - what a pleasure it is to sharpen my Victorinox knives...
I'm no metallurgist, only an expert in one type of metal and that's heavy, but something to do with carbides grabbing... I know Inox is a modified 12c27.

I also tried to sharpen a serrated steak knife - it is a Japanese Henkels international pro, and the ceramic and white didn't seem to make much difference. I feel like it does not need diamond, but jeez, maybe I should try that?

No pictures, but...

I sharpened my Zwilling Professional S, 8" chef's knife, today. I have been sharpening it by hand, but today, I went to work on it, with the KME system I recently picked up. The 8" length of the knife is really pushing the limit for the KME, but it worked fine, and I have to say the knife came out darn sharp. I'm impressed with the KME. It took me a little practice to sort of "get the technique down" with the KME, but I'm quite pleased with the results I'm getting.

Yesterday, and no pics, but I put the edge back on our little santoku, and sharpened by CRKT Offbeat II for the first time. It does take a nice edge, too. I also touched up my Benchmade Valet and my Spyderco Native 5. I also stropped them with Gunny Juice, my first time using it.

Back