What Did You Sharpen Today?

The last time i sharpened a knife was 4.0 months+ ago, time flies. Winter is over, so today i tried to sharpen the BERNDES cook knife which was super blunt. Burr creation and deburring was completed fast (with my ceramic rods/stones), and i could slice phone book paper just fine in almost any direction. However the cutting sound wasn't noiseless, and the edge failed the "90°-tomato" test. So I tried to sharpen it again (burr creation, deburring, w/ and w/o wood strop), and again, and it failed the test again and again. And again. Then i gave up. Fair enough.

kresil today. FAIL. haha
May the lesson be: one gets out of practice, after a long break! Same with any other skills (music instrument, sports, foreign language, coding, dating, XXX, etc)

EDIT: 11 days later i tried again. same unorthodox technique (just 1 RRS stone both for burr creation w/ edge-following strokes and for burr removal w/ slow light edge-leading strokes). didn't take too long, and the edge passed the 90°-tomato test, and i actually doht want to know the BESS score (ignorance is bliss). my by now lazy-a** unorthodox technique just proves that i know what i'm doing (simple manipulation of the edge), that one doesn't need to follow textbook instructions to reach the goal, and that sharpening is rather primitive and hence can/should be treated as such. I am more impressed by me putting on a 100BESS edge with a single RRS stone in 10min than by me putting on a 100BESS edge with a 1000$ WickedEdge setup after 8 stages and 55min. But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Just my old Ka Bar “practice knife.” If that thing had any collector value, I’ve ruined it. That said, I have a practice knife for a reason. Got it sharp, moved to a finer grit, promptly made it dull again. Rinse & repeat until I finally got it reasonably sharp on a fine stone.

I got a big ass Bowie knife today and couldn’t help myself. Had to sharpen it right away. I used vitrified diamond water stones. 400, 1000 and 3000 grit. After that I stropped on leather with black compound and then white compound.

8Pc7MoG.jpg

R6qpo1Z.jpg

Good enough for now.

Wow, jealous! 😀

Those are the stones that BBB sells? I’ve been wanting to pick up the 400 but they seem to be perpetually out of stock.

I was struck with some insomnia in the wee hours of the morning, so I cleaned my Arkansas stones, and then had a pretty good round of sharpening (for me) my Native 5 and Sequel. I had accidentally (but only slightly) rounded the tip of my Sequel while sharpening it last time. That was bugging me, so I fixed that. It has a pointy point again. After that, I put both of those two on the coarse diamond until they were passably sharp, then moved on to my water stones. I'm not up for posting pictures after only a few hours' sleep, but I will say that, to my mostly untrained eye, the scratch pattern and bevels look pretty uniform. I am pleased.

Wow, jealous! 😀

Those are the stones that BBB sells? I’ve been wanting to pick up the 400 but they seem to be perpetually out of stock.

No, those are from practical sharpening. I’m from Germany and practical sharpening is from Denmark so that saves me import duties and shipping.
Would love to try BBBs stones one day to compare them. Vitrified diamond stones are expensive but well worth it if you ask me.

Finished this vintage Buck Strider 881 today:

I never seem to get around to posting the same day I do the sharpening. . . . Anyway, yesterday, I took the black-handled kitchen knife pictured below:
I used the Hapstone to sharpen it. Now that I've scrubbed the stones with BKF, they're performing much better. A buddy of mine wants me to get his chef's knife in order. He tells me that he uses it constantly, but never took very good care of it. A quick glance at the edge tells me he wasn't kidding. Anyway, the one in the picture above got a reasonably sharp edge on it, and it's gone to live with my buddy while I fix up his chef's knife.

Quick touch-up on the chef's knife. All it needed was a few strokes on the strop. I've had these Henckels knives (8 total) for over 25 years, and you can see they don't get used often. Most of my cooking consists of throwing a piece of meat on the grill....no cutting required. The paring knife gets used the most.

original.jpg

Well today it's still cold and windy and gray outside, so I decided to tackle another long overdue reprofile. SPY27 Native got the treatment today. Atoma 140, Naniwa Professional 400, then my new Suehiro Cerax 1000 to see how that one worked. Finished on strop with 1 micron diamond spray.

The stone makes swarf pretty fast. Seems like a bit finer finish than I expected, but got the knife nice and sharp. Cuts reasonably fast, good feedback. Seems pretty good for 40 bucks, although it is a stone that needs to be soaked.

i-DPJkkXK-L.jpg

The stone did load up pretty good during sharpening. I decided to take the leveling stone to it and see what happened. The stone was not super flat, so I went ahead and trued it up. This pic is about halfway through, you can see the loadup still in the lower portions in the stone.

i-c9R3ntP-L.jpg

Final result is a very sharp edge. SPY27 does sharpen up nicely, but I do think the stone did a pretty good job also. I'm more interested in how this stone does with low alloy non stainless steels but nice to know it does well on SPY27.

i-sGk9wXf-L.jpg

Well today it's still cold and windy and gray outside, so I decided to tackle another long overdue reprofile. SPY27 Native got the treatment today. Atoma 140, Naniwa Professional 400, then my new Suehiro Cerax 1000 to see how that one worked. Finished on strop with 1 micron diamond spray.

The stone makes swarf pretty fast. Seems like a bit finer finish than I expected, but got the knife nice and sharp. Cuts reasonably fast, good feedback. Seems pretty good for 40 bucks, although it is a stone that needs to be soaked.

i-DPJkkXK-L.jpg

The stone did load up pretty good during sharpening. I decided to take the leveling stone to it and see what happened. The stone was not super flat, so I went ahead and trued it up. This pic is about halfway through, you can see the loadup still in the lower portions in the stone.

i-c9R3ntP-L.jpg

Final result is a very sharp edge. SPY27 does sharpen up nicely, but I do think the stone did a pretty good job also. I'm more interested in how this stone does with low alloy non stainless steels but nice to know it does well on SPY27.

i-sGk9wXf-L.jpg
Nice work, what do you normally use to clean your cerax stone between sharpening's. ???

Nice work, what do you normally use to clean your cerax stone between sharpening's. ???

Haven't gotten to that part yet... this was my first time using it. I suspect a nagura would be the best way to go but I'm not sure I have an appropriate one around. May try the scotch-brite trick, it works on quite a number of stones to get a bit of loading out, but no guarantees it is the best thing to do.

I normally sharpen my straight razors by hand, but I decided to do this Mappin & Webb late 1800's straight razor of mine a little differently today.

I used my Leading Edge sharpening system's magnetic mount, my low angle sharpening guide, my Leading Edge LED floodlight system and my set of Shapton Pro Kuromaku stones. I adjusted the angle on my Leading Edge sharpener to just barely clear the spine of the razor on in all areas and on both sides.

I used VERY careful, VERY light and only minimal sharpening strokes, finishing with my Shapton 30K. I used my Gritomatic digital angle cube to compensate for the difference in stone thickness with my Shapton set, and finished off with the 30K stone on a 0.2 degree higher microbevel.

This was followed by a handful of stropping strokes on 0.5 micron diamond paste, and then bare leather stropping before shaving with it.

End result was a very smooth and enjoyable shave.

Today.jpg

Last edited:
Was touching up my cleaver on the Hapstone. Cautionary note: do not jam your finger into the blade when the knife is mounted in the clamps. :rolleyes:

Cut the snot out my finger when not paying attention and reaching for something on the desk the Hapstone was sitting on. Probably deserves 4-5 stitches, but it happened at midnight and no way was I making a trip to the ER at that time of night.

Cleaver_Cleaved.jpg

Back