What I Really Like About Kizer

Sometimes I'm tempted to roll my eyes at Kizer, because so many of their upper tier knives are bead blasted, titanium, flipper frame locks. (Yes, I know about the Vanguard series, but we're talking upper tier, here, not that there's anything wrong with the Vanguards, of which I own four. Also, yes, I realized recently there are a considerable number of upper tier Kizer knives that are spiffier than the bead blasted ones, but still, it's to the point that you can probably spot a bead blasted Kizer even if you didn't know beforehand that it was a Kizer.)

But here's the thing that dawned on me today, after I got my latest (M-drop) Kizer, the Eliminator (which I love): if you want a titanium, frame lock flipper, there's a Kizer for you. There are so many designs in their (titanium, frame lock flipper) collection, that you're bound to find a knife that you'll like. And the prices are often fantastic (especially on some sites). Kizer's motto should be: "When you do something right, just keep doing it again and again and again, and you'll eventually produce something for everyone."

That Eliminator looks just like their Flashbang and Intrepid models. Slightly different blade shapes but the same knife IMO.

That Eliminator looks just like their Flashbang and Intrepid models. Slightly different blade shapes but the same knife IMO.
I have the Vanguard Flashbang, which is teenie in my hands. Here's a comparison of that and the Eliminator.

Attachments

• 1514431981565427520203.jpg
    1514431981565427520203.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 71
I've 2 Kizer's and while I think they are decent knives neither one knocks my socked off when I got them.

The Kizer Feist, I love the look, feels good in the hand, but that front flip is a pain in the butt. Or fingers or thumb, depending how you try to make it deploy.

Ki-3499.jpg

The Kizer Sliver is a decent enough knife, but I thought it a bit over-priced for the amount of knife I got, if you know what I mean. And while there are other Kizer designs out there that catch my eye, I doubt I'll be picking anymore up soon.

Aside from the definite problem of the front flip on the Feist, I can't put a definite negative on the knives other than I guess they didn't come up to the hype I had heard about them, being a top tier Chinese manufacturer. I think my Boker Plus Tuxedo Kwaiken Jr. a better knife in the same price range. Even a number of my Kershaws; The Kizers may be 2-3 the price but they are far from 2-3x the knife IMO. Different strokes...

Not trying to be a complete negative on Kizer. The 2 I have, I am keeping in my collection. Won't be carrying them or using them anytime soon so I guess they are save queens for the time being. lol

Ki-4419A4.jpg

I've 2 Kizer's and while I think they are decent knives neither one knocks my socked off when I got them.

The Kizer Feist, I love the look, feels good in the hand, but that front flip is a pain in the butt. Or fingers or thumb, depending how you try to make it deploy.

Ki-3499.jpg

The Kizer Sliver is a decent enough knife, but I thought it a bit over-priced for the amount of knife I got, if you know what I mean. And while there are other Kizer designs out there that catch my eye, I doubt I'll be picking anymore up soon.

Aside from the definite problem of the front flip on the Feist, I can't put a definite negative on the knives other than I guess they didn't come up to the hype I had heard about them, being a top tier Chinese manufacturer. I think my Boker Plus Tuxedo Kwaiken Jr. a better knife in the same price range. Even a number of my Kershaws; The Kizers may be 2-3 the price but they are far from 2-3x the knife IMO. Different strokes...
The Feist is one of my top EDCs. What exactly don't you like about the front flip? I mean that's the knife's whole schtick. Admittedly it has a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. If you meant literal pain, I think any jimping has the potential to raw up your hands, I've had it happen from my PM2 to my ZT0450 to my own Boker Kwaiken (which is dislike).

The Feist is one of my top EDCs. What exactly don't you like about the front flip? I mean that's the knife's whole schtick. Admittedly it has a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it's a breeze. If you meant literal pain, I think any jimping has the potential to raw up your hands, I've had it happen from my PM2 to my ZT0450 to my own Boker Kwaiken (which is dislike).
The effort to open the knife is far more than any of my 10 other flippers, with the possible exception of my Ruike Fang which requires both a finger and wrist flip to deploy consistently. I really have to dig into the jimping to open the knife. Nearly impossible with the index finger. Easier with my thumb but not a whole lot easier.
This is my one and only front flip knife, and it may just be the nature of the beast, but hand strength and size are definitely not the problem. Could be a issue with the assist, but if I had to guess, I would say not enough leverage to get past the closed detent easily.

I've got the T1 and it's just okay. The design is nice, but the execution was not great.

Too many Bead Blasted ti framelock flippers.

But at least they are paying makers for original designs. So people can get makers designs at a more affordable price with good materials (eg. ti and S35vn).

My issue is the so so qc and the inflated prices. It's been said they also use soft screws. I'm glad they are around but won't buy another one myself. Wasn't sure how a knife maker screws up the first batch of fiests. Boggles my mind.

I've got some of the first runs of kizers and some of the newer. I like them all very much. No issues with soft hardware even after disassembling multiple times.

Got me a T1 and absolutely love it! Fit and finish on mine was spot on.

Perfect ergos, outstandingly smooth and under a hundred bucks!

Best value knife I own! Also no issues with the hardware whatsoever.

The effort to open the knife is far more than any of my 10 other flippers, with the possible exception of my Ruike Fang which requires both a finger and wrist flip to deploy consistently. I really have to dig into the jimping to open the knife. Nearly impossible with the index finger. Easier with my thumb but not a whole lot easier.
This is my one and only front flip knife, and it may just be the nature of the beast, but hand strength and size are definitely not the problem. Could be a issue with the assist, but if I had to guess, I would say not enough leverage to get past the closed detent easily.
I wonder if you have the older version? I do, and I know what you mean, the detent is very strong. I certainly can't do an index finger opening, I pretty much can only use my thumb (I tuck my whole thumb under the jimping and use the top of the bone behind the knuckle as a fulcrum) but I can definitely get consistent deployment. I guess, in that regard, it is flawed. I would also say that the lock bar is too hard to disengage for me, I wish it were a tad looser.

When the "fixed" version was released Justin Lundquist posted a video of himself easily opening it with a variety of grips, I definitely can't do that with mine and I really wish I could.

But here's the thing that dawned on me today, after I got my latest (M-drop) Kizer, the Eliminator (which I love): if you want a titanium, frame lock flipper, there's a Kizer for you. There are so many designs in their (titanium, frame lock flipper) collection, that you're bound to find a knife that you'll like. And the prices are often fantastic (especially on some sites). Kizer's motto should be: "When you do something right, just keep doing it again and again and again, and you'll eventually produce something for everyone."

Except for people who don't like titanium frame lock flippers!

That said, congrats.

How is the detent?
Any uncomfortable design elements?
How is the blade geometry suited to your use needs? (And what are your use needs?)
And most importantly, how does it perform for your use needs during actual use? What have you cut with it?

I wonder if you have the older version? I do, and I know what you mean, the detent is very strong. I certainly can't do an index finger opening, I pretty much can only use my thumb (I tuck my whole thumb under the jimping and use the top of the bone behind the knuckle as a fulcrum) but I can definitely get consistent deployment. I guess, in that regard, it is flawed. I would also say that the lock bar is too hard to disengage for me, I wish it were a tad looser.

When the "fixed" version was released Justin Lundquist posted a video of himself easily opening it with a variety of grips, I definitely can't do that with mine and I really wish I could.

I would contact Kizer, as my understanding is they are replacing original feists with a revised version that fixes the issues with gritty action, loose stop pin, etc. Sounds like a pretty smooth, no q's asked process from what I have read so far.

I would contact Kizer, as my understanding is they are replacing original feists with a revised version that fixes the issues with gritty action, loose stop pin, etc. Sounds like a pretty smooth, no q's asked process from what I have read so far.
Yes but my issues (and perhaps Dan's too) are not those afflicting the first run. I have a non-lemon, action is great, I just think the tension is higher. Either that or I have weak fingers, which is certainly possible given its such a small knife. In any case I suspect my own warranty is void because I disassembled (confirming no machining errors) and sharpened it, and regardless my Feist has sentimental value so I put up with the lock bar because of it :) .

The T1 is probably my favorite Kizer, and I have around 8-10 (including about 4 Vanguards). We'll see if the Eliminator displaces it.

N. Shabazz used to complain about soft Kizer screws, but he doesn't complain about them, anymore (that I know of, anyway). He also came down really hard on the Feist due to its horrible QC.

I've had great experiences with Kizer. They are some of the smoothest knives I own with great fit and finish. The T1 and Ursa Minor are probably my favorites right now. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see more about them here on the forum. They easily best some of the more popular models here. My only gripe would be the sharpness and obtuse bevel angles from the factory, which require a reprofile to use the SM 40deg setting. Older pic after I received upgraded clips for three of mine:

33247796010_d144063d33_h.jpg

I love my T1 and considered getting a second one to be used as a safe queen. Where do you get your clips?

Directly from Kizer, $20 each... took forever. I actually have a some extra if you're looking for one of the two above (Ursa Minor clip fits Gemini, Guru clip fits Intrepid and Mini Intrepid) shoot me a PM.

Kizer has/had way too big a catalog. The quality issues have lessened from what I've seen.
I think their bloated inventory spawned a secondary problem; the enormous dealer discounts that ran from mid November until Christmas. They damaged their brand, IMO. I'll never pay full price for a Kizer. Even top (Chinese) dog Reate has poor resale value.

Reactions: Mo2
I have the Vanguard Gemini. When you say "upgraded clips," do you mean that you ask Kizer for a *better* clip, or do you mean that you ask for a clip from a different model?

I love my T1 and considered getting a second one to be used as a safe queen. Where do you get your clips?

So I am curious about your take on Kizer, maybe you could expand..

It appears you have a Kizer Vanguard Begleiter whose action was stiff enough to require disassembly, whose coating you found not robust, and was not sharp out of the box.

Then your Kizer Vanguard Gemini had a weak detent, and you were considering disassembling it.

Then your Kizer Degran Guru needed to have its edge reground.

And now your T1 (and Gemini) seem to have less than ideal clips. (and the T1 was scratched...though you didn't say it came scratched new.)

1) Why do you keep going back to this brand? What is the appeal? It seems like they are nothing but trouble to you and you don't like their bead blasted models.

2) What do think is responsible for this Eliminator being good after the pretty long line of clunkers you have told us about? Is it a fluke? Or did something happen to their QC? Or is it just "Massdrop"?

3) Again, how have you used these knives and how do they perform in use? Like cutting stuff?

Back