What I Really Like About Kizer

Exaaaaactly. I've come to understand (though perhaps not accept) that on here, a lot of the time people just ignore the stated question or point that starts a thread and use the thread as a springboard to talk about whatever is on their minds. It's definitely less on this particular thread (since we're all at least taking about Kizer), but it happens a LOT.
You both got me there :D way I see it, asking what you like is inviting to say what you dislike as well. They're certainly related enough.

Funny enough though, to restrain the discussion to likes only and dismissing dislikes as "hating" is similar to the fate of your other thread. I'm glad you and others have let the conversation spread past that. :)

Funny enough though, to restrain the discussion to likes only and dismissing dislikes as "hating" is similar to the fate of your other thread. I'm glad you and others have let the conversation spread past that. :)

There's nothing stopping people from doing that by opening their threads with something like "Share your good experiences with Kizer." or "What do you like about Kizer?" if they only want to be agreed with.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any rules saying you have to agree with the OP without an express statement like one of the ones above.

However, there have been repeated statements by the mods asking members to discuss knives and not fellow members.

Like I said, I'm sure the OP will get a feel for the dynamic eventually!

You both got me there :D way I see it, asking what you like is inviting to say what you dislike as well. They're certainly related enough.

That's why I said that this conversation isn't nearly as bad as the others I've "hosted." This conversation really isn't that bad at all. Some of the other conversations, though, made me yearn for school funding to improve people's reading comprehension. ;-)

Bc8pAsqhrgG
I am quite pleased with most of the Kizers that I own and I have eleven so far.

I should bought the Vanguard version of the Splinter instead of the framelock, it is difficult to open.

They showed smaller and larger prototype Vanguard versions of the Sheepdog that I hope go into production for 2018 on Facebook and Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8pAsqhrgG/?taken-by=kizercutlery_inc

Bc8pAsqhrgG

That's why I said that this conversation isn't nearly as bad as the others I've "hosted." This conversation really isn't that bad at all. Some of the other conversations, though, made me yearn for school funding to improve people's reading comprehension. ;-)

See, that is my point. On a forum like this one doesn't "host" a conversation, one merely "opens" it. A thread is not "yours."

Also, you might want to be careful about continuing to talk about members instead of knives. Just a tip.

So, how does your Kizer perform in actual use? Tell us more.

I own two Kizers and both are in my carry rotation: Kizer Sovereign V4423A2 (VG10) and Kizer Ophid Ki405 (S35VN). The Sovereign is one of my favorites.

I'm about done with Kizer. I like a fair amount of their more streamlined designs, but their quality definitely wasn't up to par in 2017. My very first knife of theirs was a vanguard gemini, loved it so much that I got the titanium variant of the Gemini. Loved that one too, until a couple of days later when I noticed severe lock rock and lockbar slip. Purchased a used Ursa Minor with a few issues as well. Decided to get a Kizer Envoy and it was perfect, as was the second Envoy I purchased. Thinking that maybe I got severely unlucky, I picked up 2 more titanium Gemini's, one for myself (since my original sucked), and one for a friend for Christmas. One came perfect, the other was junk with the worst detent I've ever seen. Returned it and ordered a replacement Gemini, and it's detent was so strong that it took 2 hands to pop the blade out. I'm not sure what's going on over at kizer, but when 3 out of 4 of a model has issues, something in manufacturing isn't right. In fact, out of 8 Kizer knives I've owned, 4 of them had issues, 50/50 chance of getting a dud in my experience.

Spyderco makes great stuff, am also a big fan for a long time. Having owned more than a few along the way, my T2 is a better user fixed blade for the money than my last MULE and my T1 flips and carrys better than my Southard did.
What steel was your mule in? And what didn't you like about the spyderco mule? It's very hard for me to find actual reviews on them, and when I do, it usually doesn't highlight the things that the reviewer does not like. If this deviates from the forum, then what makes the T2 better for you? (There's only one review in English that I can find online haha)

What steel was your mule in? And what didn't you like about the spyderco mule? It's very hard for me to find actual reviews on them, and when I do, it usually doesn't highlight the things that the reviewer does not like. If this deviates from the forum, then what makes the T2 better for you? (There's only one review in English that I can find online haha)

This MULE is 20CV. Don't misunderstand my love for Mule Team, have had more than a few over the years. In terms of use, the Mule was too thin in the edge and tip for my use. Amazing slicer but not enough stoutness for my outdoor activities. Will also say that even with the 3d Halpern scales, ergos are not great. The finger guard is simply too long and gets in the way. Only a small portion of the blade makes contact with the work when chopping on a board or cutting on a plate. With the thumb ramp, that finger guard is not necessary for a secure grip IMO. Lots of people grind it off.

The biggest attribute for the T2 is the blade shape, grind, and handle for me. It's a tall enough blade with a high enough grind to slice in the kitchen but thick enough stock with a strong enough tip for working with wood outdoors. Nice belly and sweeping tip for lots of different work, including chisel scraping. Handle ergos are subjective...the T2 handle works for me. I like the finger choil and ability to choke up, similar to the Bradford G3. It's a smaller knife, a TASK oriented knife, and getting up close to the work is helpful.

Not to mention, I paid more for the MULE scales than the T2...
T2 Mule.jpg

Here's the T2 next to my GSO 3.5, another smaller utility fixed blade. The T2 is a better slicer from the taller grind plus has a finer tip. A more useful blade shape for many different tasks. Again, I like choking up and getting right on top of the T2. Feels like a part of my hand vs out in front of it. YMMV and hope this answers your questions.
T2 3.5.jpg

Last edited:
One more thought on the T2...other than the attributes mentioned above.

The T2 is very much like my Bodyguard - it's useful and valuable because it's with me. And it's with me because it's small enough to carry easily.

T1 in there, just because was in my pocket today.
Pocket.jpg

Last edited:
I'm about done with Kizer. I like a fair amount of their more streamlined designs, but their quality definitely wasn't up to par in 2017. My very first knife of theirs was a vanguard gemini, loved it so much that I got the titanium variant of the Gemini. Loved that one too, until a couple of days later when I noticed severe lock rock and lockbar slip. Purchased a used Ursa Minor with a few issues as well. Decided to get a Kizer Envoy and it was perfect, as was the second Envoy I purchased. Thinking that maybe I got severely unlucky, I picked up 2 more titanium Gemini's, one for myself (since my original sucked), and one for a friend for Christmas. One came perfect, the other was junk with the worst detent I've ever seen. Returned it and ordered a replacement Gemini, and it's detent was so strong that it took 2 hands to pop the blade out. I'm not sure what's going on over at kizer, but when 3 out of 4 of a model has issues, something in manufacturing isn't right. In fact, out of 8 Kizer knives I've owned, 4 of them had issues, 50/50 chance of getting a dud in my experience.

Hmn that's strange. I've had about a dozen kizers over the last couple years with zero issues. Their first run of knives had light detents but that's about the only nit pick I've got.

One more thought on the T2...other than the attributes mentioned above.

The T2 is very much like my Bodyguard - it's useful and valuable because it's with me. And it's with me because it's small enough to carry easily.

Two peas in a pod in my EDC kit.

T1 in there, just because was in my pocket today.
View attachment 835421

That's kinda funny... 90% of the time I too have a kizer in the pocket and a sw bodyguard iwb :)

This MULE is 20CV. Don't misunderstand my love for Mule Team, have had more than a few over the years. In terms of use, the Mule was too thin in the edge and tip for my use. Amazing slicer but not enough stoutness for my outdoor activities. Will also say that even with the 3d Halpern scales, ergos are not great. The finger guard is simply too long and gets in the way. Only a small portion of the blade makes contact with the work when chopping on a board or cutting on a plate. With the thumb ramp, that finger guard is not necessary for a secure grip IMO. Lots of people grind it off.

The biggest attribute for the T2 is the blade shape, grind, and handle for me. It's a tall enough blade with a high enough grind to slice in the kitchen but thick enough stock with a strong enough tip for working with wood outdoors. Nice belly and sweeping tip for lots of different work, including chisel scraping. Handle ergos are subjective...the T2 handle works for me. I like the finger choil and ability to choke up, similar to the Bradford G3. It's a smaller knife, a TASK oriented knife, and getting up close to the work is helpful.

View attachment 835405

Here's the T2 next to my GSO 3.5, another smaller utility fixed blade. The T2 is a better slicer from the taller grind plus has a finer tip. A more useful blade shape for many different tasks. Again, I like choking up and getting right on top of the T2. Feels like a part of my hand vs out in front of it. YMMV and hope this answers your questions.
View attachment 835406
Yes this definitely answered my question, and I will probably quote this whenever someone asks about how its drawback. I'm sad to see that it is more of a slicer than an outdoor knife, but in my opinion it can be pushed to it, just as long as you don't hard use it like a survival knife. And that would probably be due to the supersteels (ankerson's video on mt18 in s110v, but this is a kizer forum so let me switch).
HOLY COW, you and WeAllJuggleKnives are now my two sources for reviews of this knife, (he liked it a lot). I probably should have picked it up during last year's sale, and some people that I talked to suggested that the retail price is worth, but my steel snobbery and my stance on s30/35 pricing is what held me back. (And that is enough from me on that). I'll try and find Kizer's shot show post, but some of the new blades shocked me in how good they looked and hopefully they perform just as well as the T2

I'm sad to see that it is more of a slicer than an outdoor knife, but in my opinion it can be pushed to it, just as long as you don't hard use it like a survival knife.

The MULE is a great slicer with it's FFG and thin edge. Lot's of people, including myself, have carried a MULE into the outdoors for camp use. Personally, I prefer the blade on the T2 for the reasons mentioned above. No discredit to the other knives mentioned, again just my preferences based on my experiences and use.

Another great option is the Lionsteel M4 if you're in the market for a smaller fixed blade. For the price, it's very hard to do better IMO.
M4.jpg
T22.jpg

Kizer has displayed several other fixed blade offerings at SHOT this week, and most appear to have the same compact handle. The two Dirk Pinkerton designs and the Sequoia look great but no info on the sheaths yet.

Last edited:
The MULE is a great slicer with it's FFG and thin edge. Lot's of people, including myself, have carried a MULE into the outdoors for camp use. Personally, I prefer the blade on the T2 for the reasons mentioned above. No discredit to the other knives mentioned, again just my preferences based on my experiences and use.

Another great option is the Lionsteel M4 if you're in the market for a smaller fixed blade. For the price, it's very hard to do better IMO.
View attachment 836041
View attachment 836042

Kizer has displayed several other fixed blade offerings at SHOT this week, and most appear to have the same compact handle. The two Dirk Pinkerton designs and the Sequoia look great but no info on the sheaths yet.
I highly doubt that they will appeal to the traditional leather crowd if they want to stay 'modern' for EDC/tactical (which is fine and what makes the T2 a great option). Although it would be great if they offered two packages, one with kydex and one with leather, but from what I've seen online, companies will charge a premium for one of those carrying options (again, no problem by me)

View attachment 835405

View attachment 835406
I tried the mule teams out for wood/bushcraft and it's not the knife for that task. But then again it's not made for that purpose per say. It's to test the steel.

I like my T1 but has issues. Plunge grinds are off and detent sucked at first. Seems to have worn in. Pivot keeps loosen up now. Needs some loctite. Overall I'll probably never buy another Kizer. But if I do I'll get that T2

... Pivot keeps loosen up now. Needs some loctite.

When I was on my Kizer kick this was my experience with nearly all of them. It's an easy fix, but seems like something they would have addressed at the factory by now. The smoothness (looseness?) of the threads amplifies the problem.

I still really like what Kizer has been doing and will continue to by their knives. They listen and are active here on the forum. The resell market sucks, so I'll only be buying the ones I know are keepers from here on out. The annual sales can make for really incredible values.

Yup I got the Gemini titanium and its a bear to pop the detent. Everything else about the knife is top notch.

Directly from Kizer, $20 each... took forever. I actually have a some extra if you're looking for one of the two above (Ursa Minor clip fits Gemini, Guru clip fits Intrepid and Mini Intrepid) shoot me a PM.
Do you happen to have any Guru clips left?

Back