What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Folder with less than 3.5" blade, preferably slipjoint.

Hmmmm...

First a Gentleman's knife is never openable one-handed. A gentleman is never in such a hurry as to need his knife quickly, and his valet is always at hand to hold whatever is necessary to allow both hands to be free.

Second, it would never be a knife that would be used for self-defense. A gentleman would never deign to use more force than good old-fashioned fisticuffs to settle a dispute... and even that would be considered a failing, in that his words could not defuse the situation.

Third, a gentleman's knife would never be a knife without a story. It's only after rescuing the Baroness' favorite hound from a thistle bush, or cutting free the diamond stickpin that became entangled in Her Grace's bonnet, that a dress knife or a pen knife becomes a Gentleman's knife.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, a Gentleman's knife is one that does not draw attention. It is always a Gentleman's actions, not his accoutrements, that define him. It should be subtle, understated, refined. A knife that draws attention is... uncouth.

At a minimum one of these. A Patriot, or Secretary or Bantam.

For the more sophisticated an Executive.
Second knife from top

. . . and for the gentleman who wants to “geeter DONE !’

a Gayle Bradley One
It would be cool if my pocket pal had a clip point secondary blade, but since it is a classic pen knife pattern I don't mind too much.

rapier_bksilver.jpg

I frankly don't understand how folders can compare to this. ;)

(Not mine, mind you, just some random picture I found, one day I hope to find a nice pair, though)
Try putting either in your pocket. Enlightenment will quickly follow grasshopper. :cool:

I always hear the term "gentleman's folder" so when I think of these, I always think of sub 2" blades for some reason and not blacked out (blade and handle).
The Benchmade Impel always comes to mind.

Like this? I can see that making the group.

opplanet-benchmade-impel-push-button-knife-lerch-design-plain-edge-blade-black-3150.jpg

For me, a gentleman's knife is a knife I don't feel silly pulling out of my suit pocket and using in mixed company. That is (obviously) a very subjective and somewhat broad definition. My latest "gentleman's knife" is my Liong Mah GSD Tuxedo. That might be too big or nontraditional for some gents but not for me. It also helps that I can open it easily with either the flipper or the thumb. Snapping a knife open is usually (imho) a ticket to non-gentlemanliness.

Not sure it works for me, but I see where you are coming from. Good looking knife.
Liong-Mah-Design-GSD-tuxedo-G10-ti-satin-BHQ-70119-er-thumb.jpg

I think that with it being a stockman the 34OT is a little too much of a cattle ranchers knife, but I guess it depends on who's at the formal function.
Now the 33OT middleman jack may be a bit more suited to formal occasions if at all.

I love the 34OT though as it was my first good knife.

I get what you're saying. Nice little knife.
330T.jpg

Back