1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan of Bazz Clazz, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    As a Supreme Court judge once said about a very different subject: "I can't define it but I know it when I see it."

Some of the examples shown here have me raising my eyebrow. I would argue that no sypderco or benchmade could begin to come under this classification. I'm also not that sure about a red cellidor SAK. Or perhaps (almost) any SAK. Carrying tools around is hardly what a gentleman would do, that would be a tradesman's choice. A gentleman would hardly have to open his own wine bottle for example. A small classy pocket knife is about the limit of tool like carry for a gentleman.

I'll freely admit that I'm referencing a standard of 'gentleman' which is close to a century old but nowadays the term refers far more to behaviour than any mode of dress so I think it is appropriate to look at the question as I have.

JD Bear and Dan of Bazz Clazz like this.
  2. Puleio

Puleio

Jun 2, 2014
    Not to be contrary, but here is what I use when I need a gentlemen's knife: the Spyderco Kiwi3 (stock picture, not mine).
    [​IMG]

It is a very elegant, small slipjoint knife that (I think) fits the OP's criteria, disappears in a pocket, and could be used to snip grapes from a bunch, cut a steak, or for
    There have been a number of other great suggestions in this thread and some beautiful knifes.

Enjoy

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I think a true gentleman does things for himself, and with having traits any man should have he is prepared.
    The tools if his sak may not be needed in a formal situation, but a gentleman would not hesitate to use them if the need arises. After all a knife is a tool, and if it's OK for a gentleman to gave then so is a sak.

afishhunter likes this.
  4. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I was kind of tongue in cheek there.

Thinking of going to functions in a tougher neighborhood maybe leaning toward what Bogart says here :
    PS: you KNOW he is carrying his GB 1 here . . . right . . . no question.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  5. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Haha
    reminds me of a quote I saw under a photo framed on the wall that I saw once of The Duke (John W., not Hunter S.T.) :
    "Life is hard, very hard and it's twice as hard if you're stupid".
    or something like that.

6. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Oh why not a couple more posts; I'm on a roll
    This is what my Dad carried, among others. He wasn't a gentleman but he was a gentleman . . . if you know what I mean. He didn't like me and that's enough for me.

Remember the Groucho quote : I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member. :p

I once bought him a mid size SAK similar to a Mechanic on the first Christmas after I got a job that actually paid with actual paychecks. He took it back and exchanged it for a smaller SAK.

[​IMG]

7. Mobster1983

Mobster1983

Jun 14, 2014
    Great definition OP. While people will have many different views, I think you summed up nicely what an ideal gentleman's knife is. My favorite GK is my William Henry, usually carry it when I am in a suit, and only for light duty. I think my Lionsteel TRE also qualifies, but would probably draw the line at my ZT 0350, which I would consider past the GK standard (but still an amazing knife). These three, along with my Reate Torrent, are my main daily carries. The ZT and Torrent when I am home or working, the WH or Lionsteel when I am in the office.

8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    As a gentleman's knife, I usually use my Al Mar Ultralight Hawk or Benchmade Benchmite. Unobtrusive, but still very capable.

9. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    SAK Cadet
    Opinel, especially the number 6 in bubinga
    Most Case Slipjoint knives
    Camillus Cub Scout knife
    CRK Mnandi

Basically a knife that your dad or grandfather would have carried. Or a knife that wouldn't scare a liberal when deployed.

10. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Smallish knives with expensive fancy materials. Not something i'll put in my pocket when I do farm chores or quad or go hiking.
    I consider my MCUSTA Katana as a gentlema, knife, along with some fancy Laguiole and such.

Usually, I received them as presents, I'm more attracted with utilitarian stuff.

11. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    IMG_2285.jpg IMG_2286.jpg 14 kt. watch, knife, and chains. William Henry B-15 and Sterling lobster. Can't decide!

12. fjblair

fjblair

Mar 15, 2017
    Yet slices and dices with righteous impunity.

13. Maddogg774

Maddogg774

Sep 19, 2011
    Mnandi, anything William Henry, rockstead. Especially in the south, case collectibles. To me though I always think of a Lanny's clip. But in general something on the smaller side, pretty and more towards traditional. But not absolute

14. HowAmI

HowAmI

Aug 5, 2016
    A Gentleman's knife CAN be large. A gentleman's knife should fit the user's hand, be thin and carry deep, along with being elegant (Moku-Ti, Damascus), it should be a slower opening system to not scare the sheeple (like opening a Chris Reeve slowly), Lastly it shouldn't look like it's something that you're going to use in Syria or Iraq or some other country to attack some ISIS member.

Something small: Mnandi
    Something large: Something from Ron Best if you have deep pockets...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  15. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Ok I can relax then.
    Just normal EDC right ?
    Rides great with no clip (never goes sideways in the bottom of my pocket), nice and thin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not THAT much bigger than my Dad's EDC . . . though I may be a little biased
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Pomsbz likes this.
  16. kaozer

kaozer

Apr 22, 2016
    Does that make the Lionsteel SR1A a gentlemans knife due to the fact its impossible to flick open? :D

SpySmasher likes this.
  17. craniotes

craniotes Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Exactly:
    [​IMG]

This one-off from Millit Knives for New West Cutlery also sees some dress duty, though its a bit larger than I prefer when wearing a suit:
    [​IMG]

And while I don't necessarily see a small Sebenza as a proper gentlemen's folder, when inlaid they can do in a pinch:
    [​IMG]

For my purposes, under 3" and a wee bit of filigree (wood, damascus, polished CF, etc...) equals a proper gentlemen's carry, but obviously YMMV.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - Sorry about watches, that's my other money-sucking hobby.

18. Lou7

Lou7

Feb 21, 2017
    Personally this is as gentlemanly as it gets.

[​IMG]

19. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    This vg1 stainless steel Damascus. Made in Japan. Made me feel pretty gentlemanly in a sushi restaurant cutting up food for the baby.
    [​IMG]
    Can open close it one hand nicely or use both hands when I'm in character.
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't raise any eyebrows.

Dan of Bazz Clazz and Pomsbz like this.
  20. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    You first have to find a gentleman. Then whatever knife he owns, is a gentleman's knife. ;)

Seesteel, El Bandit0 and Pomsbz like this.