1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan of Bazz Clazz, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    If it had been my wedding, we'd be having a fist fight right about now...:mad: :D

2. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017

Well said!

Pomsbz likes this.
  3. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    And a stupid person will beat you with experience every time. lol

4. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Actually, I was referring to the knife posted by Evilgreg. Not sure why my reply didn't get connected to his post. Sorry about that.

5. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Very Nice. Care to share the make & model? I don't recognize the TM.

6. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    or white flag of surrender. lol

7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I haven't handled a new china 33OT, but I've handled some other models and while they seem decent the handle color is just wrong.
    I like the reddish chocolate brown that fades to caramel around the edges like the originals.

Either way the model / frame itself seems to be more gentlemanly in my eyes than a stockman which is meant for dirty work around the farm.
    Now in today's world just about any smaller traditional pocket knife will seem so old timey and inoffensive to people compared to anything modern so they all make the cut.
    Now 50-60 years ago though many pocket knives were recognized, carried, and used for their specific purposes , so things like trappers stockmans and sodbusters wouldn't have been seen as too elegant or classy.

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  8. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    It is a wierd blade. I do like it though even though it has a very unique style blade that is a chisel grind.
    Very easy to operate with one hand and..very sharp :thumbsup:

9. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    A true gentleman's knife MUST be a slip joint. It can be plain or elegant but must be a small knife. 2" to 2.5" blade or main blade is about perfect. My two most carried gentleman's knives are a red Delrin Case peanut and a Victorinox Alox Solo. A small 3 blade stockman will also suffice. Weight must be under 2oz.

Joe

10. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 23, 2011
    For me there are 2 different kinds that qualify. You have the knives that people are comfortable seeing like a sak or peanut so they are all but ignored, and then you have the knives that are so aesthetically pleasing that they are admired by non knife people.

You pull out something small in Damascus with a nice dyed burl wood and people don't see a knife, they see pocket jewelery.

Seesteel and Dan of Bazz Clazz like this.
  11. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    Dan (the OP),
    I don't necessarily agree with your terms (I especially think you disqualify to many factors right off the bat) however I really enjoyed your writing style! Great thread!

I have two folders I consider gentleman's knives: small CF Sebenza 21 (high end, and note I've carried it to two weddings, one of which I was in and still carried it clipped to my tux left rear pocket ) and a Esee zancudo with a maroon micarta scale (low end but still pretty).

Personally I have less criteria but I do believe a gentleman's folder should be light and thin, ride low in the pocket (when clipped), be well refined and should absolutely not have any logos showing on the pocket clip if you are gonna clip it to a pocket.

Not mentioned in the first ~dozen or so replies I read would be an Enzo or a William Henry

Im not really carrying folders anymore and next time I need a gentleman's knife I'll be choosing from my FB's, I'm thinking a NorthArmsKnives Mallard in a horizontal leather belt sheath should fit the bill just fine and not net me any negative attention.

12. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    That's a William Henry, not sure the specific model

13. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Being Gentleman is the most important thing , the knife doesn't matter ,the man and how he uses the knife is what makes it a Gentleman's knife.

14. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Yes. Lone Wolf Prankster.

15. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    It's a William Henry E10-2. It's very light, ~1.8oz, especially for a knife with a ~3.4" blade. The best part of it is that it's a thin blade with a deep enough hollow grind to make it cut like an angry opinel. It may not be overbuilt, but it rocks at actually cutting stuff (it out-cuts pretty much all of the knives I regularly carry).

16. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Great discussion! I see one as a lighter weight blade with more of an ornate design and with higher end materials. Nothing tactical.

17. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    I think of the Mnandi as THE consummate gentleman's folder.

18. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012

Ditto, a small swiss army knife is a great gents knife. I EDC a GB but not when going to functions, etc. It really isn't what I would consider a gent's knife.

My little swiss army knife is perfect for such occasions.

19. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I agree, which is why I don't own one I'm not a gentleman.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Gentleman's knife.... why a Buck 110 (or similar) on the belt of course. :D

My concept of a gentleman's knife follows along jc57'S line of thinking. For the most part it is a small knife that is thin in the pocket that is used for office type use. The cost of your chosen gentleman's knife will follow along with the deepness of your wallet and your concept of what works. The knife is very sheeple friendly overall, but it would likely bother a few regardless. A traditional peanut would work for me especially if it has nice scales.