1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan of Bazz Clazz, Jun 17, 2017.

1. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    Its a mere 3.3oz for a 4.25" blade. I dont know of any other knife thats that large of a blade with that little weight. Close is the broken skull thats 3.1 to 4" blade.

2. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I'd say that a butterfly/balisong knife would be the antithesis of a gentleman's carry, however sleek, but perhaps that's just me. :)

3. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm inclined to agree that a lock does not rule out Gentleman's Folder status.

My current Gentleman's Folder is my Opinel No 6 Bubinga/ Mirror finish blade. It locks both open and closed. My holy grail gentleman's folder is the CRK Mnandi which also locks.

As long as the lock doesn't produce an intimidation factor there's no problem.

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  4. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    The peasant's knife?

I don't think I'm going to understand. Maybe I'm too English? I expect a gentleman to look like Bertie Wooster. :D

katanas and Ace Rimmer like this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Bertie would stab himself immediately upon opening any knife, I think.

The Zieg and Pomsbz like this.
  6. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    Except by the TSA.

7. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Ahh thanks! Nice. Doesn't work for me on topic, but I would still love to have one. But illegal in CA. Typical :mad:

8. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Emerson a100

9. Joshua J.

Joshua J.

Feb 27, 2005
    I've carried the Spyderco Civilian to every wedding I've attended in the last 10 years.
    Something just feels right about wearing a suit with that knife... and it's a fun prop for photos with your new brother-in-law.

10. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    I think something thin profiled is a good gentelmans knife with a slim blade stock. Doesnt have to be light weight as the handles could be of SS and it could look fancy.
    How about a spyderco dragonfly Tattoo. Its shiny!

11. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I have a Zippo lockback that I consider a gent's knife. Along with a Vic Cadet (your basic entry GK).
    Can't help but feel that a Pioneer Solo would work, too.

My Benchmade 531 is pushing it a little but, I consider it a Gent's knife.

12. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar Platinum Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I think that one thing is probably clear: what many of us would consider a gent's knife is more knife than what most non-knife knuts would consider a gent's knife. :)

13. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    You're nuts if you think pearl is a disqualifier. While I agree that pearl has no place on a firearm, MOP along with ivory and tortoise shell are the materials that most often covered gents' knives.

This is a gentleman's knife. Slim and classy, it is unobtrusive even in the lightest of pants.

[​IMG]

Pomsbz and emptym like this.
  14. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    One you could put on next to a coffee mug after dinner and have a nice, calm conversation about without raising any eyebrows

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

15. GotSteel

GotSteel

Mar 1, 2016
    when I see posts about "gentleman's knives" they're usually sleek, longer folders

16. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    Interestingly enough, there was a time where the only citizens walking around with purpose made weapons in plain sight were the gentleman class, and anyone of gentlemanly wishes would rarely walk the town without a dueling small sword or rapier. So all this talk of "must absolutely never be mistaken for a weapon" talk is amusing from a historical perspective.

17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    So currently the only knife I have that really fits as most true to being a "Gentlemen's Knife" is the Maserin 392/CN I found a stock image of it as I am still to lazy to go about setting up image hosting account for me and to lazy to photo anything I own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

morisboeuf and Dan of Bazz Clazz like this.
  18. Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Jun 9, 2017
    I'm off the topic for this thread, but what were the blades that launched the TSA?
    They were called 'box cutters' at the time, so I assumed they were razor blade holders, like this:

[​IMG]

But lately, I've heard people refer to what I think of as Stanley knives, utility knives, or carpet knives as "box cutters":

[​IMG]

Does anybody here know what sort of knives those ******** used on September 11, 2001?

19. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp That's right, it's genuine Velveeta... Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Photobucket's app actually works a lot better than their website in my experience. If you're like me and browse the forum a lot from your phone as well as take most of your photos with it, the app makes taking, uploading and posting photos very quick.

That's a very handsome knife btw. Wasn't familiar with it before seeing your post.

20. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I use my phone for photos but not browsing small screen size and keyboard no thanks. I forget how I found that knife originally but I do like and great looking to me plus being a lefty the extended tang lets me one hand open with that in my left hand instead of the right hand only thumb stud. I did find it when I was seeking something a bit more dressy.