What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

My go-to gentleman's knife is my Mnandi. Small, no flipper or thumbstud (but can still be opened one handed), and very nice fit and finish. I feel comfortable using it around most people and confident it'll perform the cutting task I use it for. If I'm concerned about carrying an expensive knife I'll bring my Boker FR instead. Not quite as stylish and has a flipper tab, but still slender and capable.

On the bigger side, I love my Boker Exskelibur with carbon fiber handle. Something about a nice front flipper is elegant to me and I do love the way it rides in the pocket. Probably one of the slimmest knives I own and close to one of the best slicers. Was riding in a limo with a few other gentleman where one of them was trying to slice up a lemon for our drinks with some kind of small traditional. It was actually a pretty nice looking knife, but wasn't doing much to slice the lemon. I pulled out my Exskelibur, sliced up the lemon, wiped off the blade, put the knife back in my pocket, and continued my conversation. The gentleman with the traditional knife gave me a quizzical look for a second then joined back into the conversation. Would've liked to get a better look at his traditional and show him my knife, but alas, little time for knife talk on that occasion.

Personally this is as gentlemanly as it gets.

FgmRJV1.jpg
It has always been one of my choices for a gentleman's knife. I have yet to buy one however. Guess I'm not a gentleman?

The choice of a gentleman's knife should reflect the person, not just the environment that they use or carry the knife.

To me, a gentleman's knife is not often a standard EDC. It's one for special occasions. I don't often dress up, but when I do, pocketclips are out. So are all locking blades. So are plastic scales, and overly large or "crazy" blades. I won't be going out in slacks with my combo-edge Emerson in my pocket. Thin is also a must, and it should be something that I feel has at least a touch of class. Some of my personal favorite choices are my Case Texas Jack in bone, Alox Pioneer, and GEC 63 in bone.

To me, a gentlemans folder is something that's simple, not too big, has nice lines (not aggressive) and has top of the line materials (Ti, CF, Damascus, etc...).

In my opinion SAKs definitely can qualify as gentlemen's Knives be many look nice, and are then. They are also the knives least likely to freak out people who don't carry knives. I do not see hoe anything over 3.25" can really be a gentlemen's knife because to the majority people, knives with overall lengths beyond 3.25" start to really scare people, and a gentlemen's knife should be seen only functional, not threatening. Of course, any knife at all threatens some people.

In my opinion SAKs definitely can qualify as gentlemen's Knives be many look nice, and are then. They are also the knives least likely to freak out people who don't carry knives. I do not see hoe anything over 3.25" can really be a gentlemen's knife because to the majority people, knives with overall lengths beyond 3.25" start to really scare people, and a gentlemen's knife should be seen only functional, not threatening. Of course, any knife at all threatens some people.
Agree. I'm a physician and the only knives that I'll have on my person at work are SAK's because they are universally recognized as TOOLS rather than knives/weapons.

Today it's the Super Tinker but sometimes the Cadet. And always a Classic SD on my keyring.

I'm curious about that Kubey, I've seen a couple that catch my eye but it's hard to find any info on the company. I'm guessing they are made in China since some of them are listed at pretty low prices for the (supposed) materials being offered. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Dan (the OP),
I don't necessarily agree with your terms (I especially think you disqualify to many factors right off the bat) however I really enjoyed your writing style! Great thread!

I have two folders I consider gentleman's knives: small CF Sebenza 21 (high end, and note I've carried it to two weddings, one of which I was in and still carried it clipped to my tux left rear pocket ) and a Esee zancudo with a maroon micarta scale (low end but still pretty).

Personally I have less criteria but I do believe a gentleman's folder should be light and thin, ride low in the pocket (when clipped), be well refined and should absolutely not have any logos showing on the pocket clip if you are gonna clip it to a pocket.

Not mentioned in the first ~dozen or so replies I read would be an Enzo or a William Henry

Im not really carrying folders anymore and next time I need a gentleman's knife I'll be choosing from my FB's, I'm thinking a NorthArmsKnives Mallard in a horizontal leather belt sheath should fit the bill just fine and not net me any negative attention.

Good points. each has their own opinion to form or hold. Hope to get a Sebenza one of these years. If the Lotto people would just send me the $!

It's a William Henry E10-2. It's very light, ~1.8oz, especially for a knife with a ~3.4" blade. The best part of it is that it's a thin blade with a deep enough hollow grind to make it cut like an angry opinel. It may not be overbuilt, but it rocks at actually cutting stuff (it out-cuts pretty much all of the knives I regularly carry).
Thanks for the info. I definitely will be checking it out.

I'm curious about that Kubey, I've seen a couple that catch my eye but it's hard to find any info on the company. I'm guessing they are made in China since some of them are listed at pretty low prices for the (supposed) materials being offered. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?

I do. It is one of my GK knives. I too was on the fence about it but I though I would check it out. Have a mixed bag at what I can report about it. Here is what I know and have experienced.

1. The knife I first received was defective. The blade would only lock in place about 1 out of 5-6 times on its own on average. I returned it for a refund and let my feelings be known about it and its safety - or the lack of it.

2. Someone from the rep or company contacted me directly and asked if they could send another as the one I received was not indicative of their product.

3. The second knife I received worked far better, and I have not had a single problem with it. But I have not put it to hard use, (not what it was made for anyway) or have I had it a long time. About 3 months now. The general fit and construction was good to very good IMO, considering the price point of $40.

4. I chalked it up to a defect getting through, particularly since the blade would lock at times. Just not every time. I gave bonus points for the company being proactive and contacting me directly on the problem. They were not the original retailer.

5. The knife is made in China. Not an automatic disqualification for me because China can turn out very good products. But they also turn out rubbish so I go in with my eyes open and watching when that is where a knife I want is coming from. I know others here refuse to buy from china or other companies for their own various reasons. To each his own.

So that is what I can tell you about it. Your mileage may differ.

To the "Gentleman's Knife" is a single blade, sub 3 inch,slip joint. The closest to it that I have a a Case Mini-Copper Lock. Which in spite of being a lock back is a fine example of what I think of a Gentleman's knife.

Ok I can relax then.
Just normal EDC right ?
Rides great with no clip (never goes sideways in the bottom of my pocket), nice and thin.
It's not THAT much bigger than my Dad's EDC . . . though I may be a little biased
I said it can't scare sheeple. God forbid Nick Shabazz sees you he'll run away and call you a "high speed low drag tacticool mall ninja operator who doesn't have a pocket pecker."

Agree. I'm a physician and the only knives that I'll have on my person at work are SAK's because they are universally recognized as TOOLS rather than knives/weapons.

Today it's the Super Tinker but sometimes the Cadet. And always a Classic SD on my keyring.

I am a professor, and I will never forget a colleague looking at me with shock at the sight of my Ladybug on my keychain, and he announced "you've got a blade," as I sat down for a meeting. I teach at a state school, and rule for state property is 3" limit. Folks walking around with knives clipped to their pockets are very common on campus, I don't think the 3" rule is followed closely, but it is smart to respect the law. My Manbugs and keychain SAKs or a mini multitool are anybody is going to see me use with rare exceptions. That said, I really want a Benchmade Proper. It looks like an old fashioned knife that would be seen as non-threatening by people who don't wet their pants at the thought of a knife.

Last edited:
For those that read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" remember the part of the book about defining quality? This thread is the same concept, to me a mother of pearl Case, SAK, nor a jigged slippy are gentlemens knives in any way they're dolled up workers knives.

You can't really define this type of knife but you know it when you see it like quality.

Back