1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan of Bazz Clazz, Jun 17, 2017.

1. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    My go-to gentleman's knife is my Mnandi. Small, no flipper or thumbstud (but can still be opened one handed), and very nice fit and finish. I feel comfortable using it around most people and confident it'll perform the cutting task I use it for. If I'm concerned about carrying an expensive knife I'll bring my Boker FR instead. Not quite as stylish and has a flipper tab, but still slender and capable.

On the bigger side, I love my Boker Exskelibur with carbon fiber handle. Something about a nice front flipper is elegant to me and I do love the way it rides in the pocket. Probably one of the slimmest knives I own and close to one of the best slicers. Was riding in a limo with a few other gentleman where one of them was trying to slice up a lemon for our drinks with some kind of small traditional. It was actually a pretty nice looking knife, but wasn't doing much to slice the lemon. I pulled out my Exskelibur, sliced up the lemon, wiped off the blade, put the knife back in my pocket, and continued my conversation. The gentleman with the traditional knife gave me a quizzical look for a second then joined back into the conversation. Would've liked to get a better look at his traditional and show him my knife, but alas, little time for knife talk on that occasion.

Dan of Bazz Clazz, Pomsbz and T.K.C. like this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    It has always been one of my choices for a gentleman's knife. I have yet to buy one however. Guess I'm not a gentleman?

The choice of a gentleman's knife should reflect the person, not just the environment that they use or carry the knife.

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  3. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    would this qualify as one?

[​IMG]

bryan123 likes this.
  4. BK14

BK14

Sep 13, 2016
    To me, a gentleman's knife is not often a standard EDC. It's one for special occasions. I don't often dress up, but when I do, pocketclips are out. So are all locking blades. So are plastic scales, and overly large or "crazy" blades. I won't be going out in slacks with my combo-edge Emerson in my pocket. Thin is also a must, and it should be something that I feel has at least a touch of class. Some of my personal favorite choices are my Case Texas Jack in bone, Alox Pioneer, and GEC 63 in bone.

5. FanBoy86

FanBoy86

Aug 10, 2015
    To me, a gentlemans folder is something that's simple, not too big, has nice lines (not aggressive) and has top of the line materials (Ti, CF, Damascus, etc...).

6. In my opinion SAKs definitely can qualify as gentlemen's Knives be many look nice, and are then. They are also the knives least likely to freak out people who don't carry knives. I do not see hoe anything over 3.25" can really be a gentlemen's knife because to the majority people, knives with overall lengths beyond 3.25" start to really scare people, and a gentlemen's knife should be seen only functional, not threatening. Of course, any knife at all threatens some people.

Dan of Bazz Clazz and bryan123 like this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123

Feb 7, 2017
    Agree. I'm a physician and the only knives that I'll have on my person at work are SAK's because they are universally recognized as TOOLS rather than knives/weapons.

Today it's the Super Tinker but sometimes the Cadet. And always a Classic SD on my keyring.

8. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
  9. jimmyd1982

jimmyd1982 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 23, 2011
    I'm curious about that Kubey, I've seen a couple that catch my eye but it's hard to find any info on the company. I'm guessing they are made in China since some of them are listed at pretty low prices for the (supposed) materials being offered. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?

10. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Good points. each has their own opinion to form or hold. Hope to get a Sebenza one of these years. If the Lotto people would just send me the $!

11. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Thanks. I will investigate further!

12. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Thought so. They have some in the $800 range that are engraved works of art. If I had the cash... Not really as a on topic knife, but definitely as a display or a conversation starter if it did find its way into my pocket.

Bmgillum likes this.
  13. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Thanks for the info. I definitely will be checking it out.

14. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    I assume you mean by Chris Reeve? Nice!

[​IMG]

josh yu and Pomsbz like this.
  15. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    I do. It is one of my GK knives. I too was on the fence about it but I though I would check it out. Have a mixed bag at what I can report about it. Here is what I know and have experienced.

1. The knife I first received was defective. The blade would only lock in place about 1 out of 5-6 times on its own on average. I returned it for a refund and let my feelings be known about it and its safety - or the lack of it.

2. Someone from the rep or company contacted me directly and asked if they could send another as the one I received was not indicative of their product.

3. The second knife I received worked far better, and I have not had a single problem with it. But I have not put it to hard use, (not what it was made for anyway) or have I had it a long time. About 3 months now. The general fit and construction was good to very good IMO, considering the price point of $40.

4. I chalked it up to a defect getting through, particularly since the blade would lock at times. Just not every time. I gave bonus points for the company being proactive and contacting me directly on the problem. They were not the original retailer.

5. The knife is made in China. Not an automatic disqualification for me because China can turn out very good products. But they also turn out rubbish so I go in with my eyes open and watching when that is where a knife I want is coming from. I know others here refuse to buy from china or other companies for their own various reasons. To each his own.

So that is what I can tell you about it. Your mileage may differ.

16. precisionshootist

precisionshootist

Mar 1, 2010
    A Gentleman's knife is not a Microtech Halo V. Lol

17. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    To the "Gentleman's Knife" is a single blade, sub 3 inch,slip joint. The closest to it that I have a a Case Mini-Copper Lock. Which in spite of being a lock back is a fine example of what I think of a Gentleman's knife.

Pomsbz likes this.
  18. HowAmI

HowAmI

Aug 5, 2016
    I said it can't scare sheeple. God forbid Nick Shabazz sees you he'll run away and call you a "high speed low drag tacticool mall ninja operator who doesn't have a pocket pecker."

19. I am a professor, and I will never forget a colleague looking at me with shock at the sight of my Ladybug on my keychain, and he announced "you've got a blade," as I sat down for a meeting. I teach at a state school, and rule for state property is 3" limit. Folks walking around with knives clipped to their pockets are very common on campus, I don't think the 3" rule is followed closely, but it is smart to respect the law. My Manbugs and keychain SAKs or a mini multitool are anybody is going to see me use with rare exceptions. That said, I really want a Benchmade Proper. It looks like an old fashioned knife that would be seen as non-threatening by people who don't wet their pants at the thought of a knife.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    For those that read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" remember the part of the book about defining quality? This thread is the same concept, to me a mother of pearl Case, SAK, nor a jigged slippy are gentlemens knives in any way they're dolled up workers knives.

You can't really define this type of knife but you know it when you see it like quality.

Pomsbz and Chris "Anagarika" like this.