1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What is a "Gentleman's Knife" to you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan of Bazz Clazz, Jun 17, 2017.

1. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    my BM 51 as i had a pocket added on two of my custom suits to fit it. Its light weight, fancy looking and I think very gentlemanly.

2. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    One of the things I don't understand about some of the comments here: why anyone would shy away from a locking blade. I realize that most traditionals don't lock and if your idea of a gent's knife is a traditional then you won't be carrying a locking knife. Gotcha.

But to disqualify a knife from "gent's" status because it features a lock doesn't jive with my experience at all. I've never had a muggle look askance at a knife because it locked. They look askance because a knife is big, tacticool or aggressive-looking. Perhaps because it opens and closes one-handed "like a switchblade" but not because it locks. As long as you are not flicking it open and closed with one hand, a locking knife wouldn't scare anyone in my experience.

I'm not advocating for locks, mind, but just saying there's no reason to disqualify them if the knife otherwise is "gentlemanly."*

*YMMV

3. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    People look askance because of the person, in the case of this thread your either are a gentleman or you're not there is more to it than "things".

I could go into a long diatribe about perception but the reality is you don't define what you are others do.

4. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    IMG_2550.JPG I agree SS.
    When going out on the town in a gentlemanly fashion, I usually carry this William Henry. It's very small, thin and light. I think this would check the boxes for gentleman carry, even though it locks.
    Joe

Dan of Bazz Clazz and SpySmasher like this.
  5. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    I disagree it looks murdery, hacky and lacks any sense of sophistication.

palonej likes this.
  6. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Sarcasm? :)

It looks fantastic.

7. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    A penknife.
    The SAK as in Execative two blade penknife. The two blade penknife can come with horn or wood scales.
    For weekends relaxing then a SAK Huntsman with corkscrew.
    For the USA then a Case or canoe style penknife.

Always a slipjoint; just like a Gentleman wears his signet ring on his left hand pinky and does not wear a wedding ring. Pocket watch preferable to a wrist watch.

However, the adventurer, or privateer, Officer even, might have something a bit more dandy/flashy. The Chris Reeve Mandi for example, and an Omega Watch.

8. TinyDog

TinyDog Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I have always thought of a gentlemen's knife both as traditional, and as newer folders.
    In the traditional: generally slimmer blades fashioned in Pearl or tortoise type materials. Often referred to as Sunday knives. less than 3" inches in length.
    In the modern folders: Any blade which is non threatening(subjective to many), once again slimmer Blades/Handles with elegant scale materials which there are plenty more today than the old school traditional's, Blades up to around 3.5 or even a bit longer.... All depends on the overall product.

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Nope..

Cutlover likes this.
  10. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Really Chris??

11. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    I'm just learning about the William Henry line. Beautiful stuff, but out of my league until the lotto pays off. lol

12. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Oh, the knives I will buy when the lotto pays off!

Dan of Bazz Clazz likes this.
  13. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    I own several Boker knives, split between folders and fixed blades. Love them!

14. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    You're ultimately the Gentleman who must decide. :) Doesn't have to fall in line with any formal definition of a GK. Particularly since there isn't one. But a old beat up Case, or a SAK with cracked scales could fill the bill very well if there was a good story behind it.
    "My dad always carried it on his special occasions. It has a lot of miles on it, but I decided I was always going to do the same just to honor him and the way he raised me."
    Anyone give you flak about the knife after that. Punch him. Or have your butler do it. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    Had a similar response with my on campus job recently. My boss mentioned to a co-worker who was ribbing me, "You really gonna mess with someone with 2 knives in his pocket." lol Boss saw the clips. Less negative, but still a bit of a surprised reaction from certain individuals.

anthony cheeseboro likes this.
  16. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    IMG_2302.jpg
    +1 (or 2) on W/H B-7. What's not to like, ZDP-189, pocket clip or clipped sheath, 1.6 oz, internally milled out frame, button lock, 6-4 Ti, etc.?

17. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Yes

18. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    BM 51? Not familiar with it.

19. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    [​IMG]