What is one characteristic or spec from a manufacturer that disqualifies them for you

I hate the way spyderholes look, but my manix 2 is changing my mind about its functionality.

Stabby, I have an issue with the 'no go' list.......I hate medium knives. We have large and small......we should be able to hate medium.
Thank you.
Joe

Updated yet again. :D

So, they can't be:
-Emerson with chisel grind for lefties
-pink handle
-Big
-Small
-Medium
-Serrated
-CRKT
-Boker
-Hinderer
-Strider
-Made in China or Pakistan
-Benchmade
-Spyderco
-Coated blades
-Tip up clips
-Ganzo
-Mantis
-Expensive
-Hollow grind
-Buck
-Zero Tolerance
-Cold Steel
-Thick blades or handles
-Great Eastern Cutlery
-Thumb studs
-Waved
-Frame-lock
-Recurved blade
-Liner lock
-Lock-back
-Flippers
-Bearings
-Stainless steel
-Bead-blasted blades
-Two-hand opening
-Skulls
-Fixed blades made in Sweden
-Bark River
-Microtech
-"Tracker-like"
-Medford
-Scandi grind
-Any tactical knife
-Assisted opening
-440 or AUS-8 steel
-Saber grind
-Delicate tip
-Not have a sharpening notch
-Kevin John
-Carbon steel
-Ceramic blade
-Bright green or pink handle
-Proprietary hardware (especially without included tool)
-Tip-down only clips

Updated yet again. :D

So, they can't be:
-Emerson with chisel grind for lefties
-pink handle
-Big
-Small
-Medium
-Serrated
-CRKT
-Boker
-Hinderer
-Strider
-Made in China or Pakistan
-Benchmade
-Spyderco
-Coated blades
-Tip up clips
-Ganzo
-Mantis
-Expensive
-Hollow grind
-Buck
-Zero Tolerance
-Cold Steel
-Thick blades or handles
-Great Eastern Cutlery
-Thumb studs
-Waved
-Frame-lock
-Recurved blade
-Liner lock
-Lock-back
-Flippers
-Bearings
-Stainless steel
-Bead-blasted blades
-Two-hand opening
-Skulls
-Fixed blades made in Sweden
-Bark River
-Microtech
-"Tracker-like"
-Medford
-Scandi grind
-Any tactical knife
-Assisted opening
-440 or AUS-8 steel
-Saber grind
-Delicate tip
-Not have a sharpening notch
-Kevin John
-Carbon steel
-Ceramic blade
-Bright green or pink handle
-Proprietary hardware (especially without included tool)
-Tip-down only clips

It's amazing any of us have ANY knives...:D

Any brand that uses cheap steal on an expensive knife. Like Puma Pocket Hunter and most of GEC's 1095 Line. Puma using 440a on a knife costing $160 is crazy. I really wanted that PH II model, but come on. GEC makes fine well built knives, almost dropped the hammer on a Beer Scout. I just can't bring myself to spend 80 bucks on a knife that uses 1095. I like 1095 on the whole other than that rusting thing it tends to do. I've had 1095 knives that performed extraordinarily well. Yet it's still an inexpensive steel so if it costs more than 40 bucks, it's overpriced.

So, while there are knives or features I don't care for and a few things that remain deal-breakers, I find my tastes broaden and appreciation for "other" knives grows.

Used to think paying over $100 was silly, but that number grew to 150, 200, 250, and once I hit that $300 mark with my first CRK on the Exchange, well, the dam just broke.

Never wanted a frame-lock, now I've got quite a few. No all metal handles? Got those now and my priciest ever is one and in the mail. Different handle materials on opposite sides? From nah to yah on those. Got to dislike liner locks, went AXIS-style (or CBBL or bolt) for a while, now buy liner- and frame-locks equally with AXIS and find myself with "thumb-confusion" often. Nah to yah on flippers. Don't much care for back-locks, but I have a few and carry 'em some--orange Endura in the woods, Al Mar Eagle cocobolo in slip for a laaaarge gentleman's carry, Buck 110 or Ranger on my belt sometimes up North. Those have "lesser" steels and I prefer higher end blades, but still carry and use 'em.

Still, there's stuff on the no-go list:
Assisted opening--I've de-assisted some and use and carry, the others haven't seen the light of day forever.
Skulls or anything in that genre.
Any much bling at all--had a couple, moved 'em out.
Knives that are specifically or generally "tactical". Cold Steel does nothing for me.
Waved knives. If I use my hand to take my knife out of my pocket, I can use my hand to open it too, as well as save my jeans.

Miltner Adams Knives - Miltner Adams

I mean come on.

Secret handshakes and complicated means to place an order, nope. Plenty of knives ready at the click of a button.

Proprietary pivot hardware.

Just screams "you're too g*dd*mn stupid to adjust your own knife."

This is a good one, "No, I do not own a driver that looks like a pair of breasts with the Punisher insignia, I just want to tighten my damn pivot"

This is a good one, "No, I do not own a driver that looks like a pair of breasts with the Punisher insignia, I just want to tighten my damn pivot"

We have an R&D Machining Department at work, and with about 15 minutes of CAD work from one of our Senior Design Engineer's, I can open literally any pivot you put in front of me, Punisher logo's included. :)

But I don't buy knives so I have to bother machining special pivot tooling. I'm more of an 'ready-to-use-out-of-the-box' type of user.

I'm getting really freaking sick of companies announcing their products a year or more in advance. I can't remember how many knives have been announced that I'd purchase on the spot but then after a year of thinking about it I always come to the conclusion that there's going to be an even better one coming right on the horizon that I'll be waiting for. I'm sick of it. I'd be much happier if they released an announcement a firm month or two prior to product release, let the momentum gain, and then drop it onto the market. These games are getting ridiculous. Let's face it, most knives are impulse buys. Give someone time to think about it and most people will end up passing and watch the stuff get snagged up by speculators. Give me a break.

And limited releases of outstanding designs. Take for instance the ZT 0600. I could see a limited release of a really technical, high priced version, but come on. IT'S based based on the Q36. ZT is telling us that they didn't believe there was enough of a market for a simpler, plain, stonewashed titanium model with a 3.6 inch M390 blade and sculpted pocket clip that sells for $250? I don't like being played with. That's really enough to turn me off of a company.

Last edited:
Back