What is the best or some of your favorite big ol' camp knifes?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by The_Knife_Man, Jun 9, 2020.

1. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    My camp stuff.

Haven't tried the 14" bladed Kailash sirupate khukuri yet, but I can imagine it's gonna be A LOT of fun when I get my ass out to do so.

:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    d762nato and jfk1110 like this.
  2. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    The KaBar Becker BK7 suits my camp needs :D
    And is a size I dont mind carrying with me to the camp site :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. jabski

jabski

Mar 11, 2012
    I’m new to knives. Which one is this? Looks pretty badass...

4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    That is a Busse Battle Mistress. The model is the Nuclear Meltdown Battle Mistress.

Busse makes real hard use blades!!!

I've had a few over the years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jabski

jabski

Mar 11, 2012
    Thanks, much appreciated. I’m going to look into that. I JUST DID get the knife bug. 63 years old. Not sure why it took me so long, but I have it bad now. Fixed, folders, autos. Im hooked and suddenly the checking account has shrunk.......

jfk1110 likes this.
  6. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    There is no cure!
    Buy an Opinel No:7 or 8. and then compare all knives for sharp from that.
    Work tools, and just fine cutlery. Buy a folder from Chris Reeve Knives for understated class, and then use that to compare mechanical excellence, or not, from that.
    The rest is your own taste and how the hobby takes you. Its like a sweet shop out there. There is a lot of hype over practical, but some is just for the fun of it.

cbach8tw and knoefz like this.
  7. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2007
  8. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    That is a lot of knife for the price!

Revolverrodger likes this.
  9. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Its a busse nmfbm (nuclear meltdown fusion battle mistress).
    I sand papered her down with various grits to get a mirror polish, looks cool when used.

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The BK-7 is about as large as I will carry hiking and generally it is because I think I may need a larger blade for whatever. The first time I looked at your pictures I wondered what the orange flower pots were along a stream.... then I realized you took the picture with a wide angle lens. :D

@GREENJACKET Yes, it is mostly about fun.

knoefz and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Hey everyone. Got a question for the Beckerheads here. I know the BK9 is usually the go-to for choppin’ but is the BK7 an adequate camp knife as well in your experience? Thanks!

12. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I have heard, will need to research, that the ones with the deep markings into the blade, with the BK 9 BK 7 stamped deeply, not the laser etch, may break from stress if try to baton wood. Because of that I heard that is why they laser etch the logos now. Just what I have heard so that needs to be looked into before I would trust it as gospel. My BK7 has it and it was made by Camillus.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  13. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    It must have created stress risers in the blade. It would be nice if they would try their hand at 3V in the becker line like most these days are seem to be doing or trying out.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  14. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Oh I see. Well, I don’t think I’ll be batoning any time soon. I’d prefer to have an axe for that. I was thinking more along the lines of chopping thin branches and making feather sticks for fun. Thanks for sharing the interesting piece of information. I didn’t know that.

15. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Beckers in 3V or INFI would be awesome.

16. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    BK7 for me

knoefz and DangerZone98 like this.
  17. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Two of my favorites, Jimmy Fikes "Parang" and Camp knife.

[​IMG]

18. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    If you’re defining a Camp knife as something suitable for food prep duty in camp as well mine would be the Becker BK5.

19. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Jerry wouldn’t like that idea much , just saying for a friend :)

DangerZone98 likes this.
  20. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    7D393A58-A37B-4BED-AB47-0A97B09DA909.jpeg BD62BB59-E5DC-4499-BF3C-2C9637745549.jpeg

These are some of my favorites. 2hawks Longhunter and Warbeast Hawks, CS Trail Hawk, CS Gurkha Kukri and Trail Master (Both SK5], and Grohmann #3 Boat knife.

edit: The bottom pic is a Nepalese knife they call a Tracker. In use it feels and behaves like a kukri but is more compact and is easier to use as a regular knife.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020 at 9:28 AM
    oxman198 and DangerZone98 like this.