1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by steelhog, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:52 AM.

1. steelhog

steelhog Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Just as the title says - what would be considered the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world? I know "Sebenza" is a term that can be taken in lots of ways but basically what is the common/famous grail knife in the traditonal world that hits most of the same marks as the famous CRK knife?

- Flawless execution/FF
    - Great materials
    - Mid tech maker under $500
    - Readily available/Obtainable (no limited production or long wait lists)
    - Versatile design and look

Interested to hear everyone thoughts.

Joseph H. likes this.
  2. steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    Oh - and before anyone says the Impinda. I just don't think that one hits that mark. Too modern to be considered traditional to me......

CPP likes this.
  3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Off the top of my head I can’t think of any “mid tech” traditional knives, but I guess the closest would be the Case Bose knives.

4. Tyd450

Tyd450 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Lionsteel's slip joints are pretty darn nice for the price . Round head, shuffler and dom. Collector knives exclusive. IMO a way better value than the case Bose knives.

teudy, gaj999, DRLyman and 2 others like this.
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'd have to say the Case/Bose knives as well.
    While the Lionsteel knives check a lot of boxes, they just aren't "traditional-looking" enough (for me) to fit the criteria.

6. steelhog

Jul 2, 2009
    The lionsteel knives certainly come to mind. They seem to hit a lot of the marks and have a great traditional/modern mix.

Will Power likes this.
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The 'problem' with Traditionals is that they generate multiple grails...:cool: Pinning one down to a Sebenza style definition (excellent knives they are, no denying) is really near impossible in my book-and I suspect others';)

Some CASE/Bose are really excellent, some Lionsteels too, GEC offer remarkable quality although materials and availability may be more questionable. I really can't offer more insight.

Regards, Will

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM
    Shurke and OLd_gUY like this.
  8. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    traditionals don't pigeonhole well

9. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Definitely the Case/Bose collaberations.

SpySmasher and brownshoe like this.
  10. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I think, first, you just define what the sebenza is to you. For many, it's the grail, the most expensive knife they'll ever own. Some hate that it's not a flipper, not tactical, not the latest trendy steel, etc.

For me, it's represents the function over form, necessities only in a steel that will work and be easy to maintain. The handle is carefree, tough and the lock works. Fit and finish is amazing and tolerances are spot on. And it's good looking (if a but spartan) to boot.

By my definition of sebenza, traditionals dont and won't really fit. They fit an entirely different set it criteria and desires. However, if I distill that down to a great steel than works, great fit and finish and will last ages, I have to agrre that the case/bose collabs probably fit the bill the best without getting into hard to obtain territory, while also looking a whole lot better (granted with a less capable of withstanding abuse) handle material There are some, like some of the J E Made, that would probably fit my definition closer, but are not as easy to find generally.

11. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Buck 110 from the Custom Shop or an SK Blades or a Copper & Clad SFO?

Hickory n steel likes this.
  12. UnderDawgAl

UnderDawgAl

Feb 18, 2018
    Case medium stockman

:p

13. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Why not ALOX SAK's?

14. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I know this is going to sound like a joke answer, but hear me out...

Opinel

[​IMG]

Reliable/consistent F&F
    Great materials (ok, so it's just beechwood and carbon steel, but I can't think of many knives that take a better edge than Opinel's carbon steel)
    Under $500? Check! :D
    Readily available/easily obtainable
    Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by "versatile" design/look, but like the Sebenza, Opinels have their own distinct, unmistakable and (in my opinion) stylish look.

And, like the Sebenza, it seems like everyone's got one.

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm not a modern knife guy (or a modern guy :rolleyes:), so I don't even know what a Sebenza is, although I've certainly heard the term many times. But after reading what @SVTFreak wrote below, I can certainly support @Signalprick's Alox SAK nomination and/or Barrett's proposal of an Opinel! :thumbsup::):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

16. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    While those are white capable, and I have one of those listed, the fit and finish just isn't up to that of my sebenza. That said, I'll also admit that I very very rarely carry the sebenza. Traditionals, many farther from perfection that it is, win out.

I also readily admit that this is only my opinion and how I see it. Which I know very few will probably agree. And that's perfectly OK.

17. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    What's a sebenza?

18. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Probably something made 90 years ago. Way too many great knives made for way to long from way to many countries/traditions to definitively answer. Something from the USA? Finland? Another country?

19. gmarthur

gmarthur

Mar 5, 2007
    I’ll take a shot at this.

- single blade
    - work horse iconic design easily identified
    - came out of the mind of a legend of the industry
    - expensive but affordable for an everyman if you want and save for it
    - high quality with custom touches

My brain sees a Case/Bose or custom maker Lanny’s Clip. I don’t own one but it’s on my to buy list and would be a nice alternative to my Sebenza.

- Greg

SpySmasher, Peregrin and redsparrow like this.
  20. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

Make that 25 Opinels.