What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

Bump
I'm curious as well.
Come on guys, there must be something.
I've seen some knives here that fit the bill . . .I can only assume the reason they aren't mentioned here is they are well beyond the $500 mark.
Yes I know the Opiel and Alox were mentioned but I'm picturing something on the order of the Cold Steel Ranch Boss but with consistant high quality.

You are not a heretic.

The original meaning of heretic is one who thinks for himself. That's why it became a sin. :) I think maybe he is a heretic ...

As to the original question, I don't think that there is a one-to-one match. Why? It's the grail thing. I really can't think of any traditional knives so popular as to be called a grail. Take that out of the equation and it gets easier to compare.

Just as the title says - what would be considered the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world? I know "Sebenza" is a term that can be taken in lots of ways but basically what is the common/famous grail knife in the traditonal world that hits most of the same marks as the famous CRK knife?

- Flawless execution/FF
- Great materials
- Mid tech maker under $500
- Readily available/Obtainable (no limited production or long wait lists)
- Versatile design and look

Interested to hear everyone thoughts.

Any Case Bose, but they change every year, so Reeves Knives can't hold a candle to them :) If I had to pick one, Tribal Spear, since it an original Bose design.

Randall Made Knives.

Hits most of the OP’s marks, arguably all.

An excellent contender.
I was beginning to think this whole thing was apples to oranges, but you've probably hit the nail on the head with Randall.
Not a folder, but I don't think that was a criteria of the OP.

If I was a carrier of a the beloved Buck 110, and somehow I lost it, I'd be down at my local hardware store or WalMart picking up another one. I might even reach into my wallet and pay cash for it. Maybe the custom shop 110s are much much more expensive?

Probably part of the reason is that the Buck 110 is 95 percent as good as the Sebenza. Custom shop, maybe 99 percent. That last one percent really costs.

Probably part of the reason is that the Buck 110 is 95 percent as good as the Sebenza. Custom shop, maybe 99 percent. That last one percent really costs.
Dang, you quoted my post before I had a chance to change it. I didn't want anybody to take any offense to what I said.

Outside of my previous reply Lionsteel, Benchmade and yes, even CRK are attempting to capitalize on the growing popularity of traditionals built with modern flair. The good thing for us connesour's is that there are high end makers taking notice of our trends and interests and working to capitalize. I would also not discount the custom market. There are so many talented makers right now building top shelf customs for under $500 with relatively quick turn around times, it's very exciting.

Grail : The object of a difficult quest
With that as the definition of GRAIL , that for me could have been my Northfield 77 Barlow with Desert Ironwood covers . With that now a done deal my next GRAIL is an American made high quality , such as GEC or Custom made , Lambfoot . I really have been under a rock in regards to the modern knives . I know little to nothing about them . They do not appeal to me .

Harry

I personally feel a factory Buck 110 is every bit as good as a sebenza
I realize you said "personally" so I can not argue with that.
I will say a couple things about the 110 / Chris Reeve knife :
I have a Brass and Diamondwood 110 I bought brand new from the little neighborhood hardware store back in the early eighties. It ought to be one of the best examples right ? Or at least pretty darn good being from "The Good Old Days".
I have hardly used the knife in comparison to my other EDCs and certainly no hard use or abuse. Mostly it has served as a gentleman's beautiful paper weight or dresser decoration for thirty five plus years.

I'm getting to my point . . .
And I have never owned a Sebenza or even held one but I am almost fully aware of the level of fit and finish of those.

That said I am sure beyond a sliver of doubt that the very significant blade play that is in my 110 would NEVER be found in anything coming out of CRK's works.

My 110 has no play, its a 2012 model I picked up in a pawn shop. It was still new however, even had the factory edge. I don't carry it as much as my Schrade USA LB7. I believe Chris's Reeves makes excellent knives,I've always wanted one of his survival knives. The one piece hollow handle, with 6 inch spear point blade:cool::thumbsup:. I think a run of the mill 110 is a really well made and strong knife. With the exception that the tip a bit thin, but it wasn't designed to breach doors or anything.And a custom shop 110 would be a huge step up. I'd love to have the drop point s30v, copper, with the honeycomb looking scales one. But its outta my current budget range. And for my taste looks way nicer than most modern tacticool:). Just to be up front I'm a Kershaw fan, of the few moderns I still have one is a Kershaw 1475ST Storm 2. Bought new in '05 still going strong.
The Buck I like,buck-0110gysle-b-cm-large.jpg 3_1_52.jpg

Last edited:
I have 5 or 6-110's currently. I have given away/ handled dozens. I have never noticed a loose one/ one with play.
They are about 1/10th the price of a CRK. (or less)
I consider them to be one of the best values ever, and an absolute ICON in the traditional knife world. In that way, they do compare to a sebenza.

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb
That kinda was my thinking, both are knives that when they came out every other knife maker was like :eek: Oh crap! Then immediately started copying:D The LB7 I mentioned in my previous post, 110 copy, the Kershaw mentioned, frame lock, ah la Chris Reeves sebenza. :p

This is a difficult question because I'm not sure the attributes listed in the OP capture some of the critical aspects of why I think the Sebenza is so well-regarded. The Sebenza is a special knife in that it is both gentlemanly and rugged, with a beautiful simplicity to its design. It feels well made, giving a tactile sensation of dependability. It just works. I admit it took me a little time to get it though. The materials are good, but there are way better knife steels out there than S35VN, so I don't think that's a "must have" criterion when finding a Sebenza equivalent. My small Sebenza is the most expensive knife I own, and it just screams to be used, when I have knives that are half as expensive that I baby.

In the traditional world, I do think that the Lionsteel knives are a good comparison -- they also scream "use me" when I get one in hand. I'll agree that the GEC 77s probably fit the bill as well. But I actually agree that the knives that seem to fit the bill most for me are the alox vic's and Opinels, despite them being in a completely different price category. They're simple, classic examples of traditional knives that are consistently executed well that just work.

Back