What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

hmmm seems like apples and oranges here. sebenzas and traditionals even those with modern steels and materials are just too different to compare. possibly those customized bucks? gonna have to give this some thought

What's a sebenza?

Probably something made 90 years ago. Way too many great knives made for way to long from way to many countries/traditions to definitively answer. Something from the USA? Finland? Another country?

First introduced back in 1990 by Chris Reeve Knives and featuring the Reeve Integral or Frame Lock. Its arguably the greatest locking folder ever built and pretty much the standard by which almost all folders are compared, production or custom. You'd have to have been living under a rock for the past 18 years if your into knives at any level and can honestly ask this question. No offense.

Call me a heretic, but I've never thought the sebenza justified its price. Also true of any modern tacticool over $100. I don't care what trendy steel its made from. Especially factory produced knives. On the other hand, most semi custom to full custom traditional knives I can see the justification of higher prices. Fit'n'Finish on a traditional is usually far above those of moderns, usually by design. I personally feel a factory Buck 110 is every bit as good as a sebenza. As for MYSELF, I don't see where there could be such a huge jump in performance. But as an idea of a "higher standard" from what I've seen, the case/bose, buck custom shop, would be the answer without going in to full custom territory. As for a "grail" just about anything posted by @Chief or @Horsewright would be grail territory for me.

Last edited:
I’ll stick my neck out and opine that one or two Ray Laconico designs are worthy successors to the vaunted Sebenza. Minimalist design, tank-like lockup, superior materials, expert machining. I could also argue the Sebenza is an awkward piece of industrial design regardless of how good its ergonomics are.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Sebenza won the "Kinfe of the Year" award or something like that for several years straight at Blade Show. I don't think there is any one particular traditional knife with that level of perfection or popularity.

With that in mind, I'll toss in another vote for the Case/Bose knives.

I’ll take a shot at this.

- single blade
- work horse iconic design easily identified
- came out of the mind of a legend of the industry
- expensive but affordable for an everyman if you want and save for it
- high quality with custom touches

My brain sees a Case/Bose or custom maker Lanny’s Clip. I don’t own one but it’s on my to buy list and would be a nice alternative to my Sebenza.

- Greg

I know there's no "right answer". This one hits the mark for me.

First introduced back in 1990 by Chris Reeve Knives and featuring the Reeve Integral or Frame Lock. Its arguably the greatest locking folder ever built and pretty much the standard by which almost all folders are compared, production or custom. You'd have to have been living under a rock for the past 18 years if your into knives at any level and can honestly ask this question. No offense.
Just really got "into knives" a few months ago, but the moderns do not appeal much to me. Heard the word, but wouldn't recognize it. If it has a pocket clip, I will definitely never own one. I'm sure it's a great knife. No offense and no offense taken. ;)

Maybe an original Hen & Rooster, but those certainly aren't readily available.
Maybe a Moki Serapis, then...
Moki is definitely "grail" level for me ;)

The first knife that came to mind was a Moki Kronos for me. Elegant, yet simple.

But the Case/Bose is spot on. Their prices are even similar to one another, haha.

I know there's no "right answer". This one hits the mark for me.

I will agree the case bose line is probably the consensus and what i first thought of.

But i will add that for me, The large sebenza of the traditional knife world would be the 77 northfield barlow
20180414_092847.jpg

and the small sebenza of the traditional would be the 15 pattern TC barlow not my pic
IMG_4280.jpg

reason i feel like they are available enough and that each year they become more attainable right now you can find one of each. But certain models are harder to find like certain models of the sebenza.

-barlow is one of the original workhorses

-Single blade

-Came out of the mind of a legend of the industry bill howard along with credit to (charlie and mike :)).

- definately high quality

- if your willing to save you can have one

- I'll also add that they are functional pieces of art. I get as much joy from holding and examining as using.

Another possible contender, something from fontenille-pataud?

full

full

Back