What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

I guess if you had a plain looking traditional, that is made almost the exact same way every single time, made for work and with few flaws you'd have the sebenza of the traditional world.
That would be the SAK.
But for me it would have to have a Ti handle (not Alu or plastic).
Actually a Ti frame with Stag or Burlap scales would be great. Heck brass liners would be fine too !

I was thinking earlier that if I bought a Traditional custom or a very well made production Traditional the action / walk and talk I would want would by like my plethora of SAKs.
Easy enough to open, stays open, never sluggish and has a very satisfying "talk" when it closes !
My Case Trappers are pretty darn consistent as well.
My main thing is I just want a very significant upgrade in the blade steel and heat treat similar to the CRK. I don't want S30V or S35VN but 60 or higher hardness would be nice and . . . OK . . . I'll stop fooling my self and trying to think up a lie to tell you . . . I would only be happy with M4 in my CRK like Traditional.

Damit ! . . . I'm going to have it some day if I have to make it my self !
I mod most all my other knives to one degree or another. Just a matter of time before I start pining and peening.

I admit that on more than one occasion I have looked at my Spyderco Military in M4 and envisioned drawing a blade shape on the blade and cutting it out to fit in a good sized Trapper Traditional. So far I haven't done it.
So far . . .

Last edited:
Wowbagger Wowbagger
I bought my first Case trapper 9 days ago, so far I'm loving it. Really impressed with Case CV. I also recently bought a Buck trapper, and I've had a Taylor Schrade one for awhile. Probably going to write up a comparison review this weekend.

I just saw this I've been really busy for a couple of weeks and haven't been on BF much I did however find the title interesting and jumped in.
That said I've only read the first page so far but it's getting late and I wanted to put my 2cents but I may be repeating a lot of people.

First I've had a love hate relationship with CRK for years and have owned several most of which I bought and sold here on the exchange.But being a fairly diehard traditional guy I never kept one long until I it was gone and I had something in it's place.
The premise of these is that they are mid-tech decent steel S30v S35v titanium construction.
In my opinion the Case Bose colabs are the closet match for what I believe you are asking. They are a custom/production knife that causes them to fall into a loose mid-tech category with blade steels like 154CM and damascus, premium cover materials. So my opinion of what is the Sebenza of traditional knives it is the Case/Bose collaborations.

I bought my first Case trapper 9 days ago, so far I'm loving it. Really impressed with Case CV.

Be sure to check out the Case Trapper with the Genuine Stag handle. It is quite a bit fatter than the other Case Trapper versions. I like my Trappers with only one blade.
Link>>>> to photos of mine.

Can you believe Case doesn't offer the Genuine Stag with the CV blade ! ! ! !
It boggles the mind !

I was using my Case Trapper in CV the last few days. Heavily patinaed.
The last knife in the last photo in this>>> post

Modoc ED Modoc ED Its nice to see familiar folks still around. I moved to Montana a little over a year ago and dont plan on leaving anytime soon..... Hope you and all your family stayed clear of all the fires! I know 20 plus families that lost everything.

Jeff (@rockgolfer) - There were were no fires close to us this year (so far) but we know several people in Redding (CARR Fire) and a few in Paradise (Camp Fire) that lost their homes or other things. Good luck to you in Montana.

It did not read the entire thread, so it has probably been said already, but to me the obvious answer is Tony Bose. Outstanding and unique in the traditional knife world as Chris Reeves is in the modern knife world.

Ok all - so a small update. I recently got a Lionsteel slip-joint (the Dom) and this sucker is as close as it gets. OR at lease basically what i was thinking when I created the post. I would recommend this knife to anyone.

Ok all - so a small update. I recently got a Lionsteel slip-joint (the Dom) and this sucker is as close as it gets. OR at lease basically what i was thinking when I created the post. I would recommend this knife to anyone.
Now the hunt for custom scales begins!

To me Lionsteel isn't traditional because of its screw construction and beveled edges. Case Bose is pinned and flush like a traditional knife should be.

Nice pickup and a quality knife. Not the Sebenza of the traditionals though, as it isn't completely "traditional". But still, a very good knife!

If I had to start over tomorrow in a remote location and needed to guarantee that the knife I bought would come with perfect tolerances and whatnot, and I needed to be able to get it basically anywhere, the only real answer is a Vic Cadet or Pioneer.

Nice choice. To me, traditional is a matter of styling, not construction or materials, so it qualifies as traditional in my book. And the bang for the buck is outstanding.

I have owned almost 20 CRKs and have whittled them down to just three. I also would say Case/Bose for the main reason being that the steel crushes the CRKs. Construction is not quite up to what CRK is doing but in the traditional world it’s very good.

I've got to say after following this thread that the comparison is unrealistic. However, to say outright that a Case/Bose construction is not up to a CRK based on my experience means that a CRK must be magnificent. I've never handled a CRK but my lockback whittler is up to par and even exceeds some of the many high end customs I've owned.
In my view, if I need an immediate, large size hunk of steel, I'll take a fixed blade any day.

Last edited:
Back