What is the "Sebenza" of the traditional knife world??

They could, and still can, be found in many a pocket or belt sheath
Hahahaha
as I always say it is easy to tell who is carrying the brass (or copper) 110 . . . it is the guy that kind of leans to one side as he walks.
W = m x g

The Bugatti is the pinnacle performance automobile using top materials, engineering and processes. Just curious... what's it's equivalent in a pickup?

I disagree. They are both work knives. They are both NICE pickups.,
The original question was what is an equivalent build quality Traditional to the CRK.
that's an easy concept to follow.
There have been some answers.
I still haven't seen my Grail in a slip joint, here or anywhere else. One that certainly would fill the bill is the Case / Bose Coffin above but my personal preference would be for a single blade.

Feel free to substitute any uber performance car of your choice
The basic CRK is not uber expensive (it's not even mid priced) (or in my opinion uber performance) it IS, however, very well made.

will probably never be in the market for a CRK but would be for a high end traditional folder.
That's me. Exactly.
Or lets say a mid end traditional folder.
High end traditional folders go above a thousand dollars . . . right ?

Last edited:
I'm going to stick my neck out here, even though I stated in my initial post my opinion of the price of the sebenza. I now feel that my opinion of that detail should have been left out. I do not think this thread was started as a "bash the sebenza" thread. So let us bear that in mind. In fact I believe the OP has a high opinion of the sebenza, and was simply using it as a mark of quality and iconic status. That is why I put forth the Buck 110, a quality iconic knife. And even though I've never handled one, I've seen enough high praise of the Case/Bose knives to suggest those in comparison in the more elite status category.
I would like to say thank you to all the posters on this thread, so far everyone's been civil and respectful. This kind of question on many forums( and some other sub-forums on Blade) would have started a massive flame war, and an army of trolls would have shown up. Long live the porch!
Well said, David.

Hahahaha
as I always say it is easy to tell who is carrying the brass (or copper) 110 . . . it is the guy that kind of leans to one side as he walks.
W = m x g
I edc a 80's Schrade LB7, which most likely heavier than the 110,(more brass) and today I carried both a Case and a Buck full size trappers, a Vic tinker and my cell phone on my right side. No wonder I seem to run around in circles :p;)

Fantastic comments everyone! Yes - I really do like the Sebenza/CRK knives but as of the last few years modern knifes just don't really do it for me as much as they use to. The Sebenzas and SNGs have been kicked out of the pocket for the GEC 66s and 78s. I was really just trying to find that premium traditional to strive toward like others have said. But many are correct in saying that the traditional word has so many more patters and options the modern folder world just cant compete with. After reading the comments I think that rather than striving to get a "grail" type knife the objective for me should be to get the most useful patterns (but thats a whole new thread - lol).

K.B. Knifeworks K.B. Knifeworks , if you want a premium slipjoint, do not get caught up in the GEC SFO hype that is rampant here. TC’s, 77 NF Barlow’s etc. The price doesn’t justify what you’re getting vs. the regular versions of these knives unless you enjoy hunting down rare ones and paying out the butt for used knives. If you watch the exchange, you’ll see this often, lately it seems like there’s a flood of this.

Get a few basic versions like you’re already doing and save your money for a custom instead. For what these overpriced SFO’s sell for, you can add in another $150-$200 and get a handmade custom with way better materials and fit and finish. (This price estimate will be for a single blade btw)

K.B. Knifeworks K.B. Knifeworks Jsega51 Jsega51
To me a grail has been a well made, attractive pattern that I want. I've bought lots of grails in the last few years. Some of them have been useful patterns. It's not always easy to figure out where one starts and the other ends.
Jake is correct about overpaying and the difference in quality you can get by spending a little more. Unfortunately money doesn't always guarantee a better knife.
The traditional world offers lots of grails and just as many useful patterns. The object is to get them to intersect.

K.B. Knifeworks K.B. Knifeworks , if you want a premium slipjoint, do not get caught up in the GEC SFO hype that is rampant here. TC’s, 77 NF Barlow’s etc. The price doesn’t justify what you’re getting vs. the regular versions of these knives unless you enjoy hunting down rare ones and paying out the butt for used knives. If you watch the exchange, you’ll see this often, lately it seems like there’s a flood of this.

Get a few basic versions like you’re already doing and save your money for a custom instead. For what these overpriced SFO’s sell for, you can add in another $150-$200 and get a handmade custom with way better materials and fit and finish. (This price estimate will be for a single blade btw)
Just double what the already "overpriced" sfo's are and you can have a custom...lol ;):D

If you get rid of the readily available rule customs are the only way to go. I enjoyed getting my hands on as many frames and configurations as I could when I first started(adult version of pokemon? Lol).

I found what I liked and then used them, changed preferences and back and forth as the game goes. I still buy some GEC knives from time to time but I am waiting on a certain custom maker to get around to another knife for me.

Traditionals in the knife world have so many variables and for me, most of the fun, is finding something new to try out. First its frames, then blade configurations, then covers. Eventually you get into the finer points and want to check out knives with coined liners, rat tails, etc......

I think it's safe to say that most here have a new grail once they obtain the last grail. If you bought a sebenza(I've had a few) eventually you will want something else. It's a viscous cycle, just have fun with it :)

I don't have a Sebenza nor have I ever handled one. The only knife that Chris Reeves has ever made that interested me was the one-piece, steel, hollow handled, survival knife - forget what it's called. The two custom knives I had that I think would be neck and neck with a Sebenza were by Bill Rupele but I've given those away over this past year.

I don't have a grail knife. If I did, I wouldn't need another knife.

People keep mentioning the Buck 110 and that is a quality, well made, knife.

As to GEC, they make a high quality knife but their knives do not perform to a higher level than knives made by other manufactures.

Jeff rockgolfer rockgolfer it's nice to see you again - still in Redding?

I also immediately thought of Moki, myself. It's the only 'traditional' factory-built knife I've ever seen with fit/finish usually expected from custom makers. I bought one at a time when I was also purchasing many customs at 2 - 3 times the price, and I wouldn't have been able to see the difference in build quality between them. Flawless, invisibly-seamed lockups between tang & lockbar, zero gaps or blade play, beautifully sharpened, and polished inside & out. And for less than half of the price, maybe less than a third, of the Sebbie (I have three of those). Probably the best example I've ever seen of uncompromising dedication to quality, and best bang-for-the-buck I've likely ever seen.

I've always been impressed with the dedication of Japanese makers of cutlery, in general. Even with cheaper Japanese knives, it seems to me like they still managed to tweak the best out of the simple low-alloy stainless steels used for their blades, and usually sharpen them very well also. I remember at least two Japanese folders, one 'inexpensive' model, and the Moki was the other, that both made me bleed in simply closing the blade and letting my grip on it slip prematurely. That kind of stuck impressively in my mind... :D

Last edited:
With respect I think the thread is straying off course. The custom traditionals aren’t a sebenza equivalent - for one thing they are unique. People can’t compare the knife as they can never own it.

I am interested in what this thread has demonstrated in terms of equivalency. Modern knives may have less in common with traditionals than first thought. Leaving out price, the modern knife seems to be valued mainly on form and function, whereas traditionals seem to be valued on aesthetics. That is, how they look. That is why I grab my Ganzo everytime a new GEC arrives in the mail and I need to open the package.

Interestingly, all three qualities are (to a degree) price independent - until it comes to materials especially the blade steel.

So a sebenza equivalent in a traditional may be a traditional that everyone agrees is very aesthetically pleasing and is sought after on that basis. GEC 73, Opinal #8, Case Peanut, Shrade 8OT etc. if they made those knives in higher quality materials you may get that sebenza equivalency.

I also immediately thought of Moki, myself. It's the only 'traditional' factory-built knife I've ever seen with fit/finish usually expected from custom makers. I bought one at a time when I was also purchasing many customs at 2 - 3 times the price, and I wouldn't have been able to see the difference in build quality between them. Flawless, invisibly seamless lockups between tang & lockbar, zero gaps, beautifully sharpened, and polished inside & out. And for less than half of the price, maybe less than a third, of the Sebbie (I have three of those). Probably the best example I've ever seen of uncompromising dedication to quality, and best bang-for-the-buck I've likely ever seen.

I've always been impressed with the dedication of Japanese makers of cutlery, in general. Even with cheaper Japanese knives, it seems to me like they still managed to tweak the best out of the simple low-alloy stainless steels used for their blades, and usually sharpen them very well also. I remember at least two Japanese folders, one 'inexpensive' model, and the Moki was the other, that both made me bleed in simply closing the blade and letting my grip on it slip prematurely. That kind of stuck impressively in my mind... :D
The Japanese also have the sharpest razor blades, too: Feather brand.

With respect I think the thread is straying off course. The custom traditionals aren’t a sebenza equivalent - for one thing they are unique. People can’t compare the knife as they can never own it.

I am interested in what this thread has demonstrated in terms of equivalency. Modern knives may have less in common with traditionals than first thought. Leaving out price, the modern knife seems to be valued mainly on form and function, whereas traditionals seem to be valued on aesthetics. That is, how they look. That is why I grab my Ganzo everytime a new GEC arrives in the mail and I need to open the package.

Interestingly, all three qualities are (to a degree) price independent - until it comes to materials especially the blade steel.

So a sebenza equivalent in a traditional may be a traditional that everyone agrees is very aesthetically pleasing and is sought after on that basis. GEC 73, Opinal #8, Case Peanut, Shrade 8OT etc. if they made those knives in higher quality materials you may get that sebenza equivalency.
Frankly, there is no equivalent, and that's okay. At least there were some interesting posts in this thread.

Modoc ED Modoc ED Its nice to see familiar folks still around. I moved to Montana a little over a year ago and dont plan on leaving anytime soon..... Hope you and all your family stayed clear of all the fires! I know 20 plus families that lost everything.

To answer an earlier question...
The Buck Knife of the Modern Knife World should be the Spyderco knives.
It was trendsetting, often copied, has a high quality build, mid-price level, made both in the U.S. and overseas, has a feverish fan following, and carried by the multitudes. There I said it :D

I've thought about this one a bit since the post showed and honestly can't answer it. I basically only collect traditionals and CRKs with a few others here and there but there isn't much of an analogy. I guess if you had a plain looking traditional, that is made almost the exact same way every single time, made for work and with few flaws you'd have the sebenza of the traditional world.

At this point, it's probably helpful to review the OPs criteria:

- Flawless execution/FF
- Great materials
- Mid tech maker under $500
- Readily available/Obtainable (no limited production or long wait lists)
- Versatile design and look

Does the Buck 110 really hit the first point?
A solid knife for sure, but does it rise to flawless in the way a Sebenza does ?

The same for Case/Bose... I don't own one so looking for opinions here.

Of all that's been suggested in this thread so far, I vote for a Moki.
Has anyone suggested an Al Mar?
Randall was suggested, but the wait list can come into play... Otherwise, I think it's a great choice, just not a folder.
K.B. Knifeworks K.B. Knifeworks , are we limited to just folders?
Moki is probably close. And they made/make many of the Al Mars.

Back