What kind of folder do you carry?

I’d like to ask the trusted folks here for a recommendation - provided that’s okay and isn’t frowned upon in this thread (clogging). :)

Looking to replace my current folder.

Requirements:

- thin blade stock - preferably <.1” (current is ~.08”, FFG)
- ~ 3” blade length
- locking
- one-handed opening
- slim in the pocket
- SS
- preferably no more than $500

Curious what you come up with.
Thanks!

Last edited:
^ sitting atop your price cap will be a Shirogorov NeOn Ultra Lite which will come with a stand off instead of a backspacer on the NeOn Lite variety. The blade is also Elmax which is SS. You must be patient and vigilant to be able to snag one on the Exchange for sub $550. BTW, Nathan must've received or will shortly receive Justin's NeOn which he sent Nathan for evaluation / reverse eng'ing. I'm sure that when Nathan gets some time he will be chiming in against about those terrible Russians :)

^ sitting atop your price cap will be a Shirogorov NeOn Ultra Lite which will come with a stand off instead of a backspacer on the NeOn Lite variety. The blade is also Elmax which is SS. You must be patient and vigilant to be able to snag one on the Exchange for sub $550. BTW, Nathan must've received or will shortly receive Justin's NeOn which he sent Nathan for evaluation / reverse eng'ing. I'm sure that when Nathan gets some time he will be chiming in against about those terrible Russians :)
Thanks!
I’ll have to look into blade stock (I’m hoping these terrible Russian knives were designed to actually cut - read “slice” - and not just stab and pry) and differences between the Neon and Hati etc.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I’ll have to look into blade stock (I’m hoping these terrible Russian knives were designed to actually cut and not just stab and pry) and differences between the Neon and Hati etc.

OK, I have a few thoughts since I've owned both NeOn Lite (not the Ultra Lite) and the HatiOn Lite:

The HatiOn Lite is very lite at under 2.5 ounces but the bad news is that it is very sought after their secondary prices are often actually above their retail prices. To me, they're not worth it because I found mine to be too light and also the drop action was not as smooth as my NeOn Lite, in fact nowhere as smooth which I hear is a common issue. The good news is that the blade steel was often Vanax 37 which is as SS or perhaps better than the Elmax steel and easier to maintain.

The NeOn Lite definitely cuts but you may have to improve the edge a bit just by honing it to your own liking. Never owned the NeOn Ultra Lite so I don't know what that weighs but my NL weighs just under 3.5 ounces which I find perfect for a Ti handle knife of that size.

I’d like to ask the trusted folks here for a recommendation - provided that’s okay and isn’t frowned upon in this thread (clogging). :)

Looking to replace my current folder.

Requirements:

- thin blade stock - preferably <.1” (current is ~.08”, FFG)
- ~ 3” blade length
- locking
- one-handed opening
- slim in the pocket
- SS
- preferably no more than $500

Curious what you come up with.
Thanks!

I'm pretty intrigued by Brad Zinker's slim and elegant looking knives, which can be found around $500 on some dealer's sites. Boker does a production version, which is cool, because they don't cost much so you can kind of try before you buy.

In my opinion, very few make a more mechanically perfect folder than John W. Smith, whose work you can often find for $500-$700. His design work is minimalist and utilitarian, and flies under the radar so is VERY good value.

Fun fact; John W. Smith was originally going to make me the Roundhouse prototype, which I would have used to try and get the pattern licensed. Unfortunately, he was laid up for a while and had to bail on it. Which, actually wasn't so unfortunate, since that opened up the pattern for Bing, who I had already worked with on a few folder designs.

OK, I have a few thoughts since I've owned both NeOn Lite (not the Ultra Lite) and the HatiOn Lite:

The HatiOn Lite is very lite at under 2.5 ounces but the bad news is that it is very sought after their secondary prices are often actually above their retail prices. To me, they're not worth it because I found mine to be too light and also the drop action was not as smooth as my NeOn Lite, in fact nowhere as smooth which I hear is a common issue. The good news is that the blade steel was often Vanax 37 which is as SS or perhaps better than the Elmax steel and easier to maintain.

The NeOn Lite definitely cuts but you may have to improve the edge a bit just by honing it to your own liking. Never owned the NeOn Ultra Lite so I don't know what that weighs but my NL weighs just under 3.5 ounces which I find perfect for a Ti handle knife of that size.
Thanks again!
When I specified SS I was merely trying to rule out any of the carbon steels common in traditionals - but I suppose that by specifying locking and one-handed opening those types were pretty much excluded anyway...
Any of the steels that are broadly considered SS are fine.

I'm pretty intrigued by Brad Zinker's slim and elegant looking knives, which can be found around $500 on some dealer's sites. Boker does a production version, which is cool, because they don't cost much so you can kind of try before you buy.

In my opinion, very few make a more mechanically perfect folder than John W. Smith, whose work you can often find for $500-$700. His design work is minimalist and utilitarian, and flies under the radar so is VERY good value.

Fun fact; John W. Smith was originally going to make me the Roundhouse prototype, which I would have used to try and get the pattern licensed. Unfortunately, he was laid up for a while and had to bail on it. Which, actually wasn't so unfortunate, since that opened up the pattern for Bing, who I had already worked with on a few folder designs.
Thanks Lorien!
Didn’t know those names. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ETA: just had a look. Oh yeah, those are nice! Hope JWS has recovered again and is feeling well enough to turn out more of those beauties.

Last edited:
I was on a shiro kick for a while, those are super nice flippers with all the super steels and smooooth action.
For some reason I got over them and now roll with a kershaw blur.
It's slim, the Ken Onion version is s30v, assisted spring opening, easy to sharpen, you can reverse the clip for tip up carry, just works with no issues and it's cheap in comparison. The assisted opening is also scary to non knife people in case you need to make a statement. If I lose it or it get's damaged I would just get another one *shrug
9_419568.jpg

Phantom by Taryn Collins (Wind River Wild Customs) in Koa, White G10, and stonewashed Elmax with flipper action and liner lock.

iHr5jgS.jpg
That looks awesome. I have 3 of his fixed blades. Didn’t know he did folders too. Did you have it made custom or just snagged it from a sale?

This is one Taryn made with his own vision and I was able to pick it up back in early 2018. He has been very active on Instagram lately as windriverwild making folders. As you know he has great attention to detail. This one is 4” closed with a 3 1/4” blade riding on caged ceramic ball bearings. Thanks for the comments and enjoy your blades!

Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to check him out again. Annnddd these guys seem to be related...

EF8FC833-AE0B-4A00-AC57-60144B0141B2.jpeg
This is one Taryn made with his own vision and I was able to pick it up back in early 2018. He has been very active on Instagram lately as windriverwild making folders. As you know he has great attention to detail. This one is 4” closed with a 3 1/4” blade riding on caged ceramic ball bearings. Thanks for the comments and enjoy your blades!

I have carried a Chris Reeve Sebenza for of 8 years. It is 20 years old I got it used. Use it for everything. Take it apart clean it grease it and back together dead center every time. Any problems I will send it back to CRK's and they will spa it for free. Just my thoughts.

VbqKFQ5.jpg

Back