What kind of folder do you carry?

They sure do.
I’m on the verge of needing to sharpen it and I’m not looking forward to it!
Time to invest in some diamond stones for the Edgepro.

Maxamet is a breeze to sharpen. Kinda shocking, considering how long it can hold an edge. It's not very tough at all, so watch the lateral loads on the knife. I ended up snapping my Maxamet blade on my Manix a few years ago, cutting up some conveyor belt. Something I've done a hundred times with my other Spydercos with no problem.

Maxamet is a breeze to sharpen. Kinda shocking, considering how long it can hold an edge. It's not very tough at all, so watch the lateral loads on the knife. I ended up snapping my Maxamet blade on my Manix a few years ago, cutting up some conveyor belt. Something I've done a hundred times with my other Spydercos with no problem.
That’s good to hear.
The water stones that come with the Edgepro take forever on Maxamet so I ended up putting a nice secondary on it with a DMT.
I think the set of diamond stones from chefknivestogo will help out a lot more with super steels because I suck at freehand sharpening.

That’s good to hear.
The water stones that come with the Edgepro take forever on Maxamet so I ended up putting a nice secondary on it with a DMT.
I think the set of diamond stones from chefknivestogo will help out a lot more with super steels because I suck at freehand sharpening.

Diamonds are the way to go IMO. I started hand sharpening on old Arkansas stones as a kid, but since I discovered diamonds, I never went back. I am in the market for a super high grit natural stone again, just so I can make an actual comparison with diamonds stones vs traditional stones.

Diamonds are the way to go IMO. I started hand sharpening on old Arkansas stones as a kid, but since I discovered diamonds, I never went back. I am in the market for a super high grit natural stone again, just so I can make an actual comparison with diamonds stones vs traditional stones.
It would be interesting to see the results.

20190814_151933~01.jpg

New Shiro in the collection. The F3R is so nice. This comes after a bout of wrestling with the price point of Shiro's and really not having any justification what so ever to add this knife.

Did I mention it is so nice?!

It was part birthday present, and part rationalization for selling off the UF with ironwood and custom leather ("I deserve this, damnit!").

The 3D contoured scales are just ever so slightly more comfy than the turtle flat sides slabs (which I find fantastic). It fills the hand a bit more like a fixer and I'm really impressed with it. I used my Turtle to open the new box, and set them on the table side by side for the afternoon. After looking at them both for a long time, the new F3R went into my pocket.

Last edited:
^ The F3R is honestly my fave Shiro after the 111CF and also after having gone through 15+ of them, whether wholly owned or entrusted by friends to evaluate and sell for them. I've got to tell you that after Nathan messed with my head (I'm using a much more polite term because this is being posted during the matinee session :D ) I have eschewed M390 and moved on from the steel. Looking squarely at you Mr. Carothers! :p

I may still dabble if I find another 111 CF but only either in Vanax 37 or S90V. There's a mod'ed F3R sitting on the exchange right now which is very tempting as it checks a few boxes but I will just wait for Nathan's folder.

Enjoy them in good health Tony :)

View attachment 1178901

New Shiro in the collection. The F3R is so nice. This comes after a bout of wrestling with the price point of Shiro's and really not having any justification what so ever to add this knife.

Did I mention it is so nice?!

It was part birthday present, and part rationalization for selling off the UF with ironwood and custom leather ("I deserve this, damnit!").

The 3D contoured scales are just ever so slightly more comfy than the turtle flat sides slabs (which if find fantastic). It fills the hand a bit more like a fixer and I'm really impressed with it. I used my Turtle to open the new box, and set them on the table side by side for the afternoon. After looking at them both for a long time, the new F3R went into my pocket.

If it brings a smile to your face, that's justification for getting it. Even if down the road you decide to sell it, it will be one of those moments that never go away and will always make you smile. For me, I like to use a well crafted knife that will be reliable and enjoy using.
Here's my combo that makes me happy:)

5a1G6sk.jpg

If it brings a smile to your face, that's justification for getting it. Even if down the road you decide to sell it, it will be one of those moments that never go away and will always make you smile. For me, I like to use a well crafted knife that will be reliable and enjoy using.
Here's my combo that makes me happy:)

5a1G6sk.jpg
That’s an awesome way to look at it! I like your perspective (and knives)!

^ The F3R is honestly my fave Shiro after the 111CF and also after having gone through 15+ of them, whether wholly owned or entrusted by friends to evaluate and sell for them. I've got to tell you that after Nathan messed with my head (I'm using a much more polite term because this is being posted during the matinee session :D ) I have eschewed M390 and moved on from the steel. Looking squarely at you Mr. Carothers! :p

I may still dabble if I find another 111 CF but only either in Vanax 37 or S90V. There's a mod'ed F3R sitting on the exchange right now which is very tempting as it checks a few boxes but I will just wait for Nathan's folder.

Enjoy them in good health Tony :)

I was aware of the one on the exchange a little bit ago, and originally he was asking more, enough that I elected to just buy retail.

I have no business turning my nose up at most steels, but I sure do love Vanax 37 in the Turtle. So far been happy with anything I have in M390, so I'm game. (The one steel I've just come to generally avoid is S35VN, from any maker.) But generally, I really never test the limits of any of them.

Back