What knife DEFINES best who you are?

My grandson associates me with a Victorinox SAK. That is pretty much all he has ever seen me use. I like Vic SAKs quite a lot. So, to answer my own question it is a VICTORINOX TINKER that best defines who I am.

Runner up is a Case Barlow which was my first good knife as a kid.

I might add that at the moment, I carry neither of these knives daily. I carry a Vic Small Tinker in my pocket everyday and a small fixed blade on my belt. But the regular Tinker defines ME.

How about you?

Claiming to be defined by any knife is a stretch, but I'll make the case for the Cold Steel Tuff Lite just for the fun of it. It's the knife I do the most cutting with (thanks to whittling, the Tuff Lite's proficiency for all random boxcutter tasks, and the fact that I own like ten of them).

I like to think that, as with the CS Tuff Lite, I am cheap and easy yet surprisingly effective.

Random shot of a pile of Tuff Lites:

DUJelIV.jpg

My Rosewood Rex45 Shaman. I can work hard and take the lumps but Im just too pretty to get beat up. ;)

I don't think it's a stretch at all. We have things that make us who we are, what people expect us to be, and a knife can be part of that. I could list some other things, but they aren't knife related.

My Bark River Wilderness Explorer. It's a big knife, so am I. It is incredibly good looking - ditto. It can take care of any cutting task with aplomb - ditto. It makes me feel manly.

Dave:)
I have one of those. I felt it a bit large for regular carry (in the woods as it was supposed to be my ultimate woods knife) after I got it and handled it a bit. But I view it as a very practical woods knife. SAKs don't make me feel manly.... just useful.

After I die, if a family member dealing with the burial decided to place a knife inside my casket, I suspect it would be a SAK. They see me as always having a knife on me and it's usually a SAK.

Last edited:
Is this the same idea as "dogs resemble their masters?"

Hard call for me, given all of the knives that I own, but my choice would probably be the Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika that I often carry.

Understated and seldom noticed but extremely serious and lethal in appearance and action, when it makes its presence known.

LOL! ;)

iu

I don't define myself by what knife I carry but a small multipurpose SAK (currently the Executive) is the kind of knife that gets the most use and the kind I am never without. So just call me CSG MacGyver... ;)

BTW, like with a sidearm, most people have no idea what's in my pockets other than my wallet when I go to pay for groceries or whatever. People define me by my good looks and charm...

Ontario 18" machete

Literally been a part of my arm for 26 years now. More if you want to count the first one I found in the road, but I bought my first one when I was 11 at the local surplus store.

Universally capable, not shy about ugly chores, nobody really likes to admit that it works better than more sophisticated options, non descript and easily replaced, near impossible to destroy.

If its good quality, made to last, somewhat pricey (not claiming justified), production (wont disrespect someone's handmade work), somewhat modified, practical tactical (ok somewhat impractical) and most importantly beat to sh**t its probably mine.

IMG-3215.jpg

IMG-3226.jpg

Last edited:
Back